New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is there demand for a viewing area?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
pikey01
pikey01

Is there demand for a viewing area? Vide
PostSubject: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 11:28

Gents, this afternoon I had a meeting with the local council and they have asked me to gauge interest in a possible Brize viewing area. This is in the VERY early stages, however I need as many of the locals (and not so locals) to show their support just so they can see there is a demand. The provisional plan is for plenty of parking with toilets and possible catering/food wagon.

Any idea's and sensible suggestions welcome aswell, as I can bring these up in the next meeting Cheers
Back to top Go down
davem

davem

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 11:30

Well, I sincerely hope that this becomes a VERY long thread full of 'yes' replies and a few suitable suggestions Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
http://www.equinesinaction.co.uk
Sam Dodd

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 11:39

Would be absaloutly great if this is done, will make it alot easier to park and view, it's gonna start getting busy soon!
Back to top Go down
jamesascot

jamesascot

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 11:42

yup gets my vote Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
197cup

197cup

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 11:43

Gets my vote and my grandads Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
OAGEY

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 11:46

Deffo gets my vote mate...and I'm sure I can speak for all of the members of Oxfordshire Aviation Group as well

Let me know if you need any "names on paper" to support your efforts

Colin
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:14

A Defo Yes From Me!
Back to top Go down
egdy

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:37

Aslong as its with the sun and not against it like mildy of old and LN now Smile

I guess you could park walk though if it was against the sun so a benefit all round.
Back to top Go down
Mictheslik

Mictheslik

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:38

Yes please :)

But where would it be?....and will there be a bus shuttle from Brize Norton bus stop Angel Clap Razz

.mic
Back to top Go down
beer monster

beer monster

PostSubject: Brize viewing area Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:40

A viewing area at Brize I think is long overdue, if Lakenheath can have one surely we can.!

Not only is it a good idea but a safe one too, as we would no longer have cars/people all

over the place...!

Lunch truck.?..Bonus.!
Back to top Go down
http://markgraham1@hotmail.com
Warthog

Warthog

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:42

You have my support.
Thoughts.
Will it have unrestricted views Graham? If its to have a high fence to keep us out can we have a raised platform or Mound for
those without ladders to be able to photograph without obstruction.

Rich
Back to top Go down
BrianM

BrianM

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:47

Yes - what an excellent idea Graham. Good that you (on behalf of FC and obviously with a personal interest also) are involved at this stage. The overall interest and support from aviation based forums and local aviation societies (and even the local farmer, MOD and Thames Valley Police should support it ! ) ought to have some considerable impact on those who will be involved in making this all happen - the RAF, the local town council, WODC and the County Council

The existing contractors storage site / concrete works just north of the 26 threshold would seem to be an ideal site - plenty of space,
hardstanding, fence and gates in situ, also on an acceptable safe entry/exit to the road. Once the FSTA work has been completed this should be an unused area, ideal for what you have outlined.

It's only a short walk from there up to the south side of the 26 threshold - there seems little point in lobbying for anything at the 26 (south) gate area as the road access by the contractors gate is positively dangerous and would, I'm certain, get rejected by the appropriate traffic and safety authorities.

As you say, it's the early stage of the melting pot. Let's try and get the basics underway and approved and work forwards from there.
Back to top Go down
philw

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 12:49

I've never been to Brize, but it sounds like a good idea to have a dedicated viewing area - hopefully with a good view !!
Particularly as it would possibly be more suitable to take the kids along without dragging them across fields etc.
There's more chance of me justifying a day out watching A/C to my wife if its a "family trip" Whistle
Gets my vote Thumbs Up
Cheers,
phil
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 13:23

Thanks to everyone for the support. As Brian has said the proposed site is the constructers entrance which as I mentioned in the meeting today is facing in to the sun. However, a 2 minute walk to the other side of the runway and the problem is solved. The biggest problem at Brize is lack of parking without blocking a crash gate.

At this stage, the council are more interested in if there is a demand, they have not approached the base as yet.

like I say its early days, but keep the support coming Cheers

Mic.....cant really help with the bus routes Laughing

Rich - not sure about the unobstructed viewing, will bear that in mind Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mictheslik

Mictheslik

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 13:29

Sounds good... Clap

My only concern was that if it was over the other side I wouldn't use it due to lack of a bus....but if it's at the 26 end it's within walking distance of Brize village Smile ....would probably still go to the other side of the approach though as car parking doesn't affect me....

.mic
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 13:34

Mictheslik wrote:
would probably still go to the other side of the approach though as car parking doesn't affect me....

But im sure toilets and possible food wagon would be welcome? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mictheslik

Mictheslik

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 13:45

pikey01 wrote:
Mictheslik wrote:
would probably still go to the other side of the approach though as car parking doesn't affect me....

But im sure toilets and possible food wagon would be welcome? Laughing

Would certainly get the exercise running back from the food wagon as something turns onto the approach :P

.mic
Back to top Go down
mark k

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:00

Being one of the Brize "locals" i think this is something that we all agree is long overdue and considering how busy Brize is set to become after Lyneham closes there really will be a need for a safe parking and view area.

As Brian has said the current construction site would be an ideal location and with the ground pretty much ready there would be not be that much work to turn it in to something similar to the WAVE at Waddington which even has a small shop and cafe...we could have a BAVE at Brize Big Grin

As for viewing, well it only takes a minute to walk over to the 26 crash gate and you have the sun (when it shines at Brize!) behind you. And anyway, those who just turn up to watch the aircraft coming in, i think you still get a decent view from the proposed site.

I really hope that this gets the go-ahead as it will help stop the crazy parking that currently goes on and may help stop the arguements that some folk insist on having with the farmer who owns the field at the 26 threshold.

Good luck with it Graham if you need any of us locals to attend meetings in the future to support this then you got me to back you up Smile
Back to top Go down
Jenky

Jenky

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:07

Definatly a great idea and one that would be long overdue.
Nothing worse thatn travelling all the way down to Brize wondering about where to park etc.

Would be a good point for the general public to watch the comings and goings (if not family members of Forces staff returning from duty).

Amazed more bases don't use this as a cheap PR exercise and actually use viewing areas as a showcase of what they do well, my 4 year old would probably switch from wanting to be a 'Red Arrow Pilot' to a 'C17 Pilot' if he actually got to see the C17's up close and in a safe area.
Back to top Go down
LeeHathaway

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:09

This would be fantastic if this got the go ahead. Like Mark and others have said, it would stop the parking madness that sometimes occurs. Well done Graham for getting the ball rolling on this. Let's hope it does get the go ahead!

Last edited by LeeHathaway on 2009-08-27, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
royals1871

PostSubject: viewing. Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:11

Most def!!! will sure to be a big debait among spotters as to location etc.next to the current unoff viewing area is a large grass area thats never used,road acess already in place and would only need some slight changes to make it useable.also there many pos and negs for the other side where the contractors yard is at mo.Sure it could be funded with a small cost,donation to an raf charity etc and may sway the argument in our favour. But heh at the end of the day just the fact that the meetings taking place is a huge start.!!! all the best. chris.
Back to top Go down
rattler

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:48

Hi Graham. Yes, this is a great idea and long overdue and I'm glad to see that you are involved in this proposal with the council. It should satisfy all concerned; the RAF get good PR; the police don't have to worry about road safety so much and we, the enthusiasts, have somewhere safe to park and view.

Go for it, Graham.

Mick F.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:51

Got to be a massive yes on this one Graham
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
hertsman

PostSubject: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 14:57

I'm an infrequent visitor to Brize these days, but every time I have been, it's proved a bit of a pain finding somewhere safe to park and see the action.

A dedicated and civilised parking/viewing area seems a win/win for the RAF/Spotters at any busy base. Whatever angle you look at it - security, safety, PR, minimum disruption to local traffic, rubbish bins, toilets, catering, it looks good. I'm not a photographer, so sun angles mean less to me that you guys, but I guess if that can be accomodated too, so much the better.

A busier Brize and somehwere to park when you get there? Well, I would be there more often.

A long way of saying "Yes!"

hertsman
Back to top Go down
neil1861

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty2009-08-27, 17:22

Its about time there was one, while your talking about it how about a concrete path on the airfield side of the Brize - Bampton road.

Some days its like driving in a Welsh rally trying to dodge the people down there, its only a matter of time before someone gets airbourne off of a car bonnet.

Neil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there demand for a viewing area? Is there demand for a viewing area? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is there demand for a viewing area?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 3 Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: Wales & South West & Home Counties :: RAF Brize Norton -