New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What builds are on your bench?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-09-27, 16:44

The Airfix 72nd scale Hawk is nice - good shape, good surface detail (slightly overdone though - some of the panel lines are damned deep) and good considering the price. Down side is the nasty canopy (which looks like a boiled sweet) and the inadequate interior. Overall though it builds into a very decent (and cheap) Hawk.

The 48th version by comparison, is a couple of years old now and it wasn't great even when it first appeared. It's fairly clumsily moulded - heavy scribed detail, and the shape is a bit suspect, particularly around the tail and nose. The Italeri 48th Hawk is much better with beautiful surface detail and a good shape - only slightly inaccurate part is the nose ahead of the windscreen but this can be corrected. You can also get a beautiful resin cockpit interior from Neomega. If you're building a Hawk, I'd recommend the Italeri 48th kit - it's easily the best of all the Hawk kits available.

The new Airfix 72nd Spitfire 19 is a strange business. Okay, it's certainly cheap, but the kit is over-simplified. The undercarriage and doors are moulded as one piece for example. Surface detail is a bit heavy, and the camera windows are very difficult to fit without a lot of filling and sanding. But it's a Mk.19 at last which is something! No plans for a Mk.19 in 48th though (at least for the time being) and definitely no plans for a 24th scale one.

If Spitfires are your thing, keep a look out for the forthcoming Tamiya 32nd scale Mk.9 It's a fantastic piece of high-quality moulding, jaw-dropping standards. Hate to think how much it will cost though but even if you're not a great Spitfire fan (and they sure don't excite me much) it looks too good to resist!

Green Bat, I'd hold-off on the Italeri 48th Tornado if I was you. The new 48th kit from Hobby Boss should be out soon and hopefully it will be better than the Italeri one which is kinda old now. I've had one tucked away in the loft for years (with Paragon extended flaps/slats and a resin cockpit) but I'm waiting to see if the new HB kit is better - I suspect it will be.
Back to top Go down
viper3111

viper3111

Spotter Watch Member : nope

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-09-28, 01:13

I have no idea what these kits are like but I have just found some realy nice looking kits and extras for spitfires on this site www.jaysmodelkits.com they do a mk19 in 72nd plus other interseting bit and pieces. I think they are based in newzeland but they do post world wide. I will see if I can find any more info on them.

Last edited by viper3111 on 2009-09-28, 02:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
viper3111

viper3111

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-09-28, 01:22

Ive now found a review on there seafire. it turns out they have taken over the old ventura bits. any way here is the rewiew. I hope its of some use http://www.scalemodelersworld.com/jays-model-kits-172-supermarine-spitfire-mk-47.html
Back to top Go down
viper3111

viper3111

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-09-28, 02:48

Quote :
Green Bat, I'd hold-off on the Italeri 48th Tornado if I was you. The new 48th kit from Hobby Boss should be out soon and hopefully it will be better than the Italeri one which is kinda old now. I've had one tucked away in the loft for years (with Paragon extended flaps/slats and a resin cockpit) but I'm waiting to see if the new HB kit is better - I suspect it will be.

I personaly would also wait for the hobby boss eforts as they are bringing out both ADV and IDS versions in 48th. Im sure there will be a cracking set of upgrades and decals for them both. Theres a few schemes I would like to see.
Back to top Go down
Dazza

Dazza

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-09-28, 03:25

F14 but still a long way to go. It will not be in the same class as you guys as its my first real go, but if i ever do complete it What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 711487 i will post some shots.

Last edited by Dazza on 2009-09-30, 16:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GreenBat

GreenBat

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-09-30, 16:16

Sheff wrote:

Cheers for the advice on the Hobby Boss Tornado, I've just had a quick look on their site and as you say, it does look like it could be a very nice kit, and I will almost certainly have a closer look when it's released.
The F111A Ardvark looks very nice too!!! What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 294955
Back to top Go down
viper3111

viper3111

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-10-01, 00:09

Ive just had a look at the hobby boss site myself and you are right that new f-111 looks realy nice.
Back to top Go down
fido996

fido996

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-10-01, 11:17

Got the Italeri 1/48 Typhoon on the go which I am planning to paint black, just need to source ZH558 decals as the kit ones have got damp and are useless. Also on the go is a 1/48 F-15E from Monogram which will hopefully get painted this weekend.
Back to top Go down
awacsfan

awacsfan

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty2009-10-01, 12:33

Well not exactly on the bench yet, but I just bought myself the Hobby Boss 1/72 HAF A-7H "Tiger Corsair" from a UK shop on ebay and hope it'll arrive here soon. The picture I took of that particular jet here at Geilenkirchen in 2007 will provide a good reference for the to be build model kit.

What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 TigerCorsair
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What builds are on your bench? What builds are on your bench? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What builds are on your bench?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 2 Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Flight Sim & Modelling Section :: Modelling -