New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

USB cable for Uniden 3500

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Cap'nKeith

Spotter Watch Member : No

USB cable for Uniden 3500 Vide
PostSubject: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-21, 10:23

I now have a 3500. Since nobody could show me in an earlier post what the USB connection for PC to 3500 was like I thought I would wait until the 3500 arrived before purchasing one. I have 5 different types and thought one was bound to fit, no, I now need a 6th! I contacted Nevada and they told me they only stock the serial type connection and suggested I asked around because several people had problems with the USB version.
Is that so, can anyone tell me if the USB type has any issues?
Back to top Go down
Tradford

Tradford

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-21, 13:20

The issues are more to do with the drivers on the PC rather than the cables.
I bought a USB one off ebay, The first one I bought was a dodgy cable, got a replacement and it was fine.
I also have a serial cable and a serial to usb adapter as backup. Not all computers have serial plugs, so USB is the way to go.

The uniden usb cable is unique without modifying other cables to the correct wiring.
Back to top Go down
jingernut
Admin
Admin
jingernut

Spotter Watch Member : NO

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-21, 14:04

Uniden Europe sell the cable
Back to top Go down
http://www.airband.info
SimboWales

SimboWales

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-21, 15:51

I managed to get a cable from Ebay for 20 quid.
Back to top Go down
Cap'nKeith

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-22, 07:36

I googled and found on another forum that the problem is something to do with RS232 and a PC cannot hookup correctly with the uniden using a USB cable. Which not being an expert on scanners or PCs I assume might be similar to what "Tradford" was refering to. They even talk of making their own leads up to get around the problem and someone else has found it is the same lead as used on Minolta cameras.

USB is obviously the way to go but I do not feel inclined to spend £20-30+ on a USB lead when the same serial version is under a tenner. I have ordered a Serial version to get me going and will look into a USB adapter and or USB lead for the future.

Thanks for your help

Keith
Back to top Go down
Tradford

Tradford

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-22, 07:40

If you buy a prolific chip serial to usb adapter and download the correct drivers for your computer, you will be able to use it like a USB cable. Its just getting the exact drivers to match the cable and the PC thats the problem. I managed to find the right ones to get my serial cable and USB adapter to work eventually.
Back to top Go down
Cap'nKeith

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-22, 08:15

Could you point me in the right direction please. Where to purchase and which website would be very helpful.

Thanks
Keith
Back to top Go down
Tradford

Tradford

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-22, 08:33

I got the serial cable from ebay, the adapter from amazon, and the drivers from the prolific website.

Search USB to RS232 on Amazon to get the right thing.

This one should work

Adapter

You then need to go to here and download the correct driver, depending on your operating system.

Drivers

Plug in the cables and either windows will automaticly recognise the device or you will need to install the drivers for it too see the cable.
Back to top Go down
Cap'nKeith

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty2009-09-22, 08:47

Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USB cable for Uniden 3500 USB cable for Uniden 3500 Empty

Back to top Go down

USB cable for Uniden 3500

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -