New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
BANSHEE

Spotter Watch Member : yes

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-08-27, 02:25

Having had an evening after work at Binbrook, we set off for home as it was getting dark, and not far from the airfiels we spotted a light in the sky. Thinking it was an aproaching aircraft, we pulled up and waited, and waited, and waited:-the light wasn't moving, it must be a star! After a good 10 minutes we set off again, only to have a Shackleton come into sight a few minutes later!

A few days later, again at binbrook in the dark, we again spotted a light in the distance,and wary of the above experience, we waited, etc.etc. Only to realise some time later that it was a lamp post on the surrounding hillside.
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:06

Once upon a time at Waddington. A rather burley gentleman from Yorkshire stopped his car in the middle of the road (the busy A15) and demanded to know what we were all doing.

We were minding our business watching various movements. "Is this the place where that Vulcan fing flies from?" Said he. "Yes" we reply.

"Is that it over there he asks."

We then fell around in fits when we realise he's pointing at the double detuner!

For those who don't know what a detuner looks like here's a link, except Waddo's didn't have a shed around it, just the pipes -

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_na6LR8VwLPA/RnV62WmnlvI/AAAAAAAAAXA/hcCwhfRNhRU/DSC01085.JPG
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:24

Link not worling Goose, for me any way!!
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:30

Try this one.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N6rYMxleIgox3ImmftLiDw

Found on Google but not owned by me so only linked, not copied
Back to top Go down
Roughcutter

Roughcutter

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:32

The look on my mate's face at the RAF Valley Show (1987), when the much anticipated pair of RF-4's on the display programme turned up on schedule as a pair of Fournier RF4's (motor gliders)! Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 333264
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:34

Roughcutter wrote:
The look on my mate's face at the RAF Valley Show (1987), when the much anticipated pair of RF-4's on the display programme turned up on schedule as a pair of Fournier RF4's (motor gliders)! Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 333264

That's a corker......... Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 53197
Back to top Go down
boff180

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:38

Waddo show....

Radio conversation overheard.... Tower:"How are your balls?"...Pilot:"All our balls are in the middle!"

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 345990
Back to top Go down
Roughcutter

Roughcutter

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 13:47

They even smoked - canisters on their wingtips! Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 711487
Back to top Go down
Andrewausfa

Andrewausfa

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-08, 15:41

Highland Sniper, I've pm'd you a photo of aforementioned Shackleton.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
gary1701

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-10, 14:21

We used to have a 'Virgin' hot air ballon lift from Stow in the evening quite often, and it would frequently be blown directly through the Wattisham overhead, just a couple of miles away. One evening it drifted over as a bored ATC was working a single Apache on PAR's and they were quite disappointed when the Apache replied he hadn't got any live rounds on board after they asked him to shoot it down! This is the ballon on another occasion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22221147@N02/2220958482

Mildenhall ATC could fill a complete thread by themselves, as I'm sure many will know. Earlier this year it got quite interesting when the woman on the box was working two KC-135's inbound a few minutes apart, with very similar 'Reach' callsigns and parking on neighbouring hardstands! You could almost hear the exasperation in the two crews voices!

Gary
Back to top Go down
Ben Montgomery
Ben Montgomery

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-10, 15:43

For the Mildenhall locals, the funniest phrase from ATC has to be "Sorry "Insert Callsign Here", we have a problem with your flightplan, please hold".

Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.ramaphotography.co.uk
pitot head

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: @ EGNO Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-10, 16:26

Overheard on the air at Warton in the late 80’s, the Buccaneer tanker was on short finals on 26.

‘Tarnish , go round, there’s two swans crossing the runway’

reply ‘hope they’ve got permission’

cool…………….
Back to top Go down
reptile 1

reptile 1

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-10, 16:43

A while back when a pair of Jags were heading into Wales on there A/A.

Blackcat 1 - You know somewhere theres a spotter listening to all of this.

Blackcat 2 - Yep, Hello Mr Spotter Tim Silvester's the name we are Harrier Pilots by the way.

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 711487
Back to top Go down
reptile 1

reptile 1

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-10, 17:01

Supprised Razor23uk has not posted this so i will do it for him Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 711487

GR4..."Magic 05....this is Monster formation checking in"

AWACS.. "Monster formation,this is Magic 05...stand bye" AWACS
a few seconds pause.......
AWACS..."Thank you for calling the Magic hot line. All of our consoles are busy at the moment.
Please hold while we try and connect you to another console"

A few more seconds pause.

AWACS...."Thank for continueing to hold. Your call is very important to us.We will be with you as soon as we can"

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 687308
Back to top Go down
andyxh558

andyxh558

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-10, 17:49

New years eve in the 80s when Manchester Airport was closed for the new year celebrations. The recorded airport information was very different.

"This is manchester information at ooh its late!, the runway in use is a long one with little twinkly lights on it, the weather is cold, the wind is... blowing, the due point is I am not saying because its racist, the visibility is rubbish as its dark, the qfe is too long winded, the runway surface is tarmac!
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-16, 14:13

The last Prestwick Airshow I think it was '92, the RAF Victor arrived on the morning of the show and some bright spark quite near to where I was standing in the static was heard to say to someone - "Oh look here comes a Nimrod"
Back to top Go down
48thEagle

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-16, 16:37

Sitting over at Mildenhall earlier in the year, it was quite foggy.

Tower was called "whats the weather like there?" "it's foggy, visbility 250mtrs" replied the tower.

The KC-135 pilot then asked if he could go to Lakenheath, with the answer being no, there is a family day being held there. "Ok, can I go to Brize?" "I will get back to you" came the response from the tower.

Then another pilot asked about the weather - "it's foggy, visibility 250mtrs"

"ok, we are coming in" said the pilot of the C-5.

Moments later the KC pilot radioed back and said "ok, I guess we can land at Mildenhall."

Another one from Mildenhall.

Tower: "you are now cleared for take off"
Pilot: "Ma'am, we have been airborne for 5 minutes now"
Back to top Go down
flyingslug_0

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-17, 03:21

Not that many months ago I was taking my friends younger son up for a trip in a cessna 172 for his birthday. We went along and I tried my best to make it as plesent as possible. As the flight progressed this little lad got chatting and asked if we could go back to the airfield. I asked if he was ok and did he felt ill. He replyed "No I'm fine but I don't like it when you go round the corners"!!! Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 711487 But the best was when we were on final and he churped up and said " How low do we have to go to land"? Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 711487 Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 711487
Back to top Go down
3 greens

3 greens

PostSubject: It did happen Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ - Page 2 Empty2009-09-18, 17:34

Whilst listening to Newcastle Radar (124.375) A.T.C. Weather reported that "Half of the runway was dry with wet patches and the other half was wet with dry patches" Funny weather that day.

An old vid of mine from Fairford