New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Families day info

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
Pylons

Spotter Watch Member : No

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 02:24

Anybody got any information on the Lossiemouth families day at the end of August? I'd heard a rumour that it would be open to the public with advance tickets only. I've heard the Red Arrows are opening it at 12pm, but does anyone know what else is likely to turn up?
Back to top Go down
Macc

Macc

Spotter Watch Member :

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 04:29

I've heard the Typhoon is meant to be, I expect there to be a few RAF visitors because it's Kinloss/Lossiemouth's 70th anniversary, Kinloss had their half of the celebrations in June with a parade through Forres with a Nimrod MR.2 and MRA.4 flying over, finishing with the Red Arrows display over the town.

I think there will probably be an MR.2 doing it's stuff but I don't think the MRA.4 will be there.
There will probably be the 4/5 ship Tornado demo which is really good to watch and a Sea King demo. There are a few civi display like the pitts thing last year.

Hope this helps.

Macc
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 04:34

Have you heard if it's open to the public Chris ?
I shouldn't think so.
Back to top Go down
Macc

Macc

Spotter Watch Member :

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 05:14

Flaps wrote:
Have you heard if it's open to the public Chris ?
I shouldn't think so.
It's not.
From the site...
Quote :
RAF Lossiemouth will continue to celebrate its 70th year by holding a Friends and Families Day, 29 August 2009. It is planned that this "fun for all the family" day will include several flying displays, static aircraft displays and many ground displays, from both within and outside RAF Lossiemouth. There will be a funfair, stalls, a bar and various catering outlets.
The event will commence late morning and end at 1600 hours and full details of the program and participants will be published in due course. It should be noted that access to this event is by invite only. Tickets will not be available on the gate on the day
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 06:15

Thanks for clearing that up Chris.
Back to top Go down
tarbat

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 08:09

I emailed Lossie last month about this, asking:
"We live in Portmahomack, just across the Firth from Lossie, overlooking the Tain Range. Is there any way that we can be invited to the Friends and Families day this year? Most days we see and hear the Tornados from Lossie, and would love to be able to see them on the base itself. Just asking really whether we can qualify as part of the local community."

Reply from the Media & Communications Officer:
"Thank you for your email and your interest in the RAF Lossiemouth Friends and Families Day. You are quire correct that invitation to the event is by ticket only, with tickets reserved for Friends and Family of RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Kinloss personnel. The issue of allocation of tickets will be raised out our committee meeting today, so I will be in touch if anything changes."

Followed by:
"I regret to inform you that following our meeting earlier this week, the facts I gave you below are correct. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused."

Bit dissapointed really. We used to get a Tornado display each year for the Portamhomack Gala Week, but that stopped a couple of years ago. Well, the Tornado didn't turn up last year, and there was nothing scheduled for this year. Just wish they recognised that some of the local community may be friends. (we're not all anti the low level flying!!!).
Back to top Go down
Macc

Macc

Spotter Watch Member :

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-07-30, 08:32

The reason for no Tornado display is because there is no Tornado solo display anymore, last one was 2006, they started training for 2007 but then cancelled it and it has never returned.
Back to top Go down
adamc8rd

adamc8rd

Spotter Watch Member : no

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 03:57

Will there be anything stopping those that would like to be there. Watching from one of the viewing points around the base I.E in between the golf course and the runway
Back to top Go down
onemac

onemac

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 04:52

adamc8rd wrote:
Will there be anything stopping those that would like to be there. Watching from one of the viewing points around the base I.E in between the golf course and the runway
No there are usually no restrictions to viewing but it will be busy outside the fence and I would urge everybody to park responsibly Big Grin
Back to top Go down
adamc8rd

adamc8rd

Spotter Watch Member : no

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 04:55

onemac wrote:
adamc8rd wrote:
No there are usually no restrictions to viewing but it will be busy outside the fence and I would urge everybody to park responsibly Big Grin

Yes mac totaly agree with you and people should park responsibly whatever the occasion not just EVENTS
Back to top Go down
tarbat

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 09:23

I know most of the "up-close" viewing points, but parking might well be a problem. So, can anyone suggest a good "long-distance" viewing point? I was looking at the hill on the cliffs at Covesea - any good?
Back to top Go down
Aur

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 11:44

tarbat wrote:
I know most of the "up-close" viewing points, but parking might well be a problem. So, can anyone suggest a good "long-distance" viewing point? I was looking at the hill on the cliffs at Covesea - any good?
I would suggest that that would be too far away. Only good for the airfield attack if they do it.
Back to top Go down
thunder

thunder

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 13:07

The best place to go will be at the RW 23 end, there is plenty of parking to be had in the area with quite a large area for approx 15-20 cars just as you turn onto the dirt track, bear in mind that this area is also close to a crash exit so take care not to block it. There is also just as you leave the town of Lossiemouth at the junction of the Hopeman road with the road that takes you down towards the Main gate a large unused area that people use to park when walking dogs on the beach or a quick few holes on the golf course, this area will easily accommodate 20+ cars but care should be taken when walking down the road towards the 23 approach as it is a fast bit of road. I would advise against parking on the actual dirt track that takes you up to the fence at the 23 end as it is easily blocked if some arse parks on the wrong side and there will be a lot of people in that area.

Just to add that the first area that I mention above may be off limits on the day, depending on the car parking arrangements for service personnal and invited guests, as they have used in the past the North side of the airfield for parking and this area would infact be the entrance.
Back to top Go down
ythanpythan

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-05, 14:08

If you park up where thunder suggests in lossie (next to the green keepers huts) you can walk along the edge of the golf course beside the base fence line (there's an old track) which runs up to the 23 end. It also joins on to the dirt track coming down from the north to the 23 end so you don't need to walk on the golf course at all or the main road.

Ian
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-08, 07:05

I had coffee this morning with a friend who is on the organisation committee for this event. It appears that there is nothing out of the ordinary attending at present unless there are any last minute additions. The event is definitely "ticket only".

Confirmed attendees as of 7 Aug 2009:

The Red Arrows
The Falcons (jumping from Puma)
Hawk
Typhoon
Tornado Role Demo
Nimrod MR2 (apparently static only)

I'll post if I hear of any additions.
Back to top Go down
Aur

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-08, 12:16

Thats not too bad for something on our doorstep.
Red Arrows are always good. Typhoon Flying Display is out of the norm and the Tornado Role Demo is always interesting as to who can see them first coming in over the firth.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-08, 13:42

We just need to hope for reasonable weather now - the last Lossie F&F I attended was very grey and not photogenic in the least. Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Macc

Macc

Spotter Watch Member :

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-09, 07:48

HighlandSniper wrote:
We just need to hope for reasonable weather now - the last Lossie F&F I attended was very grey and not photogenic in the least. Fingers crossed.
2007 was pretty beast of a show!
Tornado 5 ship is fantastic! Highlandsniper; no mention of a Sea King demo. Know of any statics?
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-09, 10:44

That's all that was mentioned yesterday, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a Sea King demo. I don't think things are 100% confirmed as yet, I'll try and get more info later in the week and post as and when.

One thing that was said yesterday was "no Nimrod flying display" - and I was hoping for an MRA4 Mad
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-23, 09:52

Has anyone got any more info on participants yet ????
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-24, 00:52

Leave it with me, I'll speak to my contact tonight. Got my tickets on Saturday, entrance is at 202 Squaqdron with parking at the threshold of Rwy 29.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-24, 10:17

HighlandSniper wrote:
I had coffee this morning with a friend who is on the organisation committee for this event. It appears that there is nothing out of the ordinary attending at present unless there are any last minute additions. The event is definitely "ticket only".

Confirmed attendees as of 7 Aug 2009:

The Red Arrows
The Falcons (jumping from Puma which will be in static)
Hawk
Typhoon
Tornado Role Demo
Nimrod MR2 (apparently static only)

I'll post if I hear of any additions.

Flaps wrote:
Has anyone got any more info on participants yet ????

HighlandSniper wrote:
Leave it with me, I'll speak to my contact tonight. Got my tickets on Saturday, entrance is at 202 Squadron with parking at the threshold of Rwy 29.

I've just spoken to my RAF contact as above - no changes. Flying display kicks off at 12:30 with The Reds, basically operational commitments have prevented much else coming this far north, but here's hoping for last minute changes which I'll post if I hear any more. Still no mention of 202 Sqn., but I'd be surprised if they don't do something.

Local civvies and based a/c in static, but don't expect anything above what I've already posted ... ... ... but I am ever hopeful.
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-24, 10:24

Thanks Rob.
Let's hope it's a nice day.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-24, 10:43

I certainly hope so Mike, but The Met Office guessers don't look too hopeful at present, but what do they no, they get it wrong more often than not.

Shame the display programme isn't looking more exciting. Luckily I'm only 6 miles each way so it's no major trek.
Back to top Go down
Heidfirst

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty2009-08-24, 11:23

HighlandSniper wrote:
basically operational commitments have prevented much else coming this far north
that'll be Operation Bank Holiday ... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Families day info Vide
PostSubject: Re: Families day info Families day info Empty

Back to top Go down

Families day info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: Scotland & Northern Ireland :: RAF Lossiemouth -