New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
St. John

St. John

Spotter Watch Member : No

Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Vide
PostSubject: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-17, 01:41

I've been in contact with NCL airport and they have confirmed that the viewing area at the Aero Club will be open again on Saturday and Sunday this year.

Last edited by St. John on 2009-07-22, 14:22; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-17, 03:35

Where is the viewing area?
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-17, 06:28

It's the old aero club garden next to Samson Aviation. They'll open the club house doors.
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-18, 15:00

I received this in an email from Newcastle Airport this morning...

It is with great regret and due to insurmountable issues we are unable to open Wings Bar (Southside of the airfield) for viewing of based aircraft for this years Air Show.

This event is now cancelled.

Still trying to find out what the insurmountable issues are.
Back to top Go down
MF1

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-19, 02:33

Guys to be honest go to the end of the runway. The Wings Bar last year was a waste of time as most of the aircraft parked on the Golf apron once all the mail aircraft had returned form their flights on the Friday night Saturday morning.
I will ask on Monday when I return to work as to the reason why its not happening this year but I would guess now that is manpower which is the main factor.
Judging by last year I would advise you not to try and drive around to the golf apron as they had the police moving people on last year and they have just put up new no entry signs on the entry road to this area. I understand that this area in the future will also be getting a security barrier due to the amount of people using this area to view the aircraft. The easy answer is a viewing area but unless there is a high profit for the airport I would guess it will never happen as the plan was to turn Wings into a visitors centre and this never happened.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mf-images.com
MF1

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-20, 13:33

Ok

The real reason for the non opening of Wings. The building has been checked and has been declared unsafe. In a few words its falling down!!!
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 02:59

Thanks MF1. Do you think standing outside the fence at RWY25 is best? Or how about the road that runs along the fence near the flying school?
Back to top Go down
Pete_the_mech

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 03:24

the 25 approach area will be the best but parking is quite limited close to the run and people often park in the nature reserve where there is an abundance of space. the 25 approach is much better for pics as your not shooting into the sun and the aircraft cross the road at very low altitude.
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 04:59

Re Wings, the building needs quite a lot of refurbishment work before Newcastle Airport can welcome visitors to it on a regular basis. However, they do seemingly intend to refurbish the building and currently plan to create a small visitors centre and café/restaurant, open to enthusiasts, staff and members of the public.The intention seems to be to get this up and running as soon as possible, well in advance of the airport's 75th anniversary celebrations next year.

Time and finances will tell, but there seems to be internal recognition of the need to make provision for improved viewing facilities. So perhaps a few emails and positive comments about the potential benefits to Newcastle Airport itself will help encourage this improvement

Anyhow, there is a sun and cloud symbol on the charts for the weekend, so let's hope we can enjoy the aircraft, whether at Newcastle or down amongst the throng at Sunderland.
Back to top Go down
Iain S

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 05:09

Hi all, just going of track a little!!! Is Newcastle hosting all participants for the Sunderland show this weekend??? Just that other years have saw the F-16's going to Teeside???
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 06:07

Iain S wrote:
Hi all, just going of track a little!!! Is Newcastle hosting all participants for the Sunderland show this weekend??? Just that other years have saw the F-16's going to Teeside???

I asked a similar question to Yahoo group North East Aviation Enthusiasts and got a response that the F16s will be the first to arrive on Friday with the rest over the remainder of Friday.

No news on XH558 yet.

One thing to consider about 25 end, frequently over the past month or so the wind's been easterly by midday. With the ILS out on 25 they've been switching to 07 more readily than usual. This means parking at Black Callerton and walking towards the airport or on the bridle path west of the approach lights/A695.
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 09:32

I have been provided with a provisional list for Saturday which may be a good indication of what will be staying overnight.
This will be subject to changes I guess, but to me it looks like most aircraft displaying at Sunderland will be using Newcastle.

I've listed in provisional order of flight departure for Sunderland:

Red Arrows
Royal Netherland AF F-16
Swift Team
Blades
Royal Navy (poss Sea King)
Tutor
Hawk
Blue Eagles (Apache Longbow / Lynx)
RAF Falcons
King Air Be 200
Black Cats
Spitfire / Hurricane (BBMF)
Dakota (BBMF)
Vulcan
Mace 95 (Belgium AF F-16)
Navy 500 (Merlin)
Chinook
Typhoon 45

Weather permitting, it could be a good day for photo opportunities at Newcastle and Sunderland!
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 10:11

Just to add to the confusion, I'm looking at my list from the airport, my brain is slowly working things out and I'm now thinking that it may be the flight plan for the displays, not flight plan for departure slots ex Newcastle airport - so that would mean no link to what's using/staying at Newcastle.
I will check to see and apologies in the meantime if adding confusion rather than clarity!
Back to top Go down
Bat 21
Photo of the Month Runner-Up

PostSubject: Sunderland Airshow Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-21, 11:54

Sadly the BBMF & Vulcan will not be landing at Newcastle over the weekend

Vulcan is Sat only and both are combining shows over Sunderland & East Fortune..plus I think the BBMF are due over in Cumbria
Bat 21
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 05:57

Using Newcastle Airport on Saturday are provisionally (in order of display slots at Sunderland):

The Red Arrows
Royal Netherlands AF F-16 - Orange
Blades
Sea King Commando 523
Tutor
Hawk
Blue Eagles Apache & Lynx
Belgium AF F-16 - MACE 95
RAF Falcons Chinook
Typhoon 45

BBMF are ex Edinburgh and possibly then to Carlisle for the Windermere show I guess
Vulcan to be notified but presumed not using Newcastle unless necessary.
Presumably aircraft displaying over two days if noted above will use Newcastle overnight and/or on Sunday.

Hope that clarifies my previous message!
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 06:03

Thanks. Now I just need to decide whether I go to Sunderland or Newcastle to watch them Confused
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Red Arrows Schedule Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 06:05

Reds schedule has just been put up on their website. Looks like they will be covering a few miles this weekend.

Friday 24 July
1119 - Reds depart NORWICH
1130 - Reds display LOWESTOFT (Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival, Suffolk)
1201 - Reds recover NORWICH
1346 - Reds depart NORWICH
1354 - Reds flypast TAVERHAM
1403 - Reds flypast WYTON
1410 - Reds flypast COTTESMORE
1423 - Reds arrive SHAWBURY
1611 - Reds depart SHAWBURY
1615 - Reds display SHAWBURY (Private Military Event)
1643 - Reds recover SHAWBURY
1823 - Reds depart SHAWBURY
1858 - Reds arrive NEWCASTLE

Saturday 25 July
1150 - Reds depart NEWCASTLE
1200 - Reds display SUNDERLAND (Sunderland International Airshow, Tyne & Wear)
1229 - Reds recover NEWCASTLE
1359 - Reds depart NEWCASTLE
1433 - Reds flypast HEREFORD
1437 - Reds flypast MALVERN
1440 - Reds flypast CHELTENHAM
1443 - Reds flypast WOMAD
1451 - Reds flypast MARNHULL
1455 - Reds flypast DAMERHAM
1457 - Reds arrive BOURNEMOUTH
1628 - Reds depart BOURNEMOUTH
1636 - Reds flypast HARMANS CROSS
1637 - Reds display SWANAGE (Swanage Bay Regatta & Carnival, Dorset)
1703 - Reds flypast MILFORD ON SEA
1705 - Reds recover BOURNEMOUTH
1835 - Reds depart BOURNEMOUTH
1900 - Reds flypast DOVER
1941 - Reds arrive NEWCASTLE

Sunday 26 July
1150 - Reds depart NEWCASTLE
1200 - Reds display SUNDERLAND (Sunderland International Airshow, Tyne & Wear)
1229 - Reds recover NEWCASTLE
1440 - Reds depart NEWCASTLE
1442 - Reds flypast GATESHEAD
1452 - Reds flypast BOWHILL
1504 - Reds arrive BLACKPOOL
1704 - Reds depart BLACKPOOL
1715 - Reds display WINDERMERE (Windermere Airshow, Cumbria)
1746 - Reds recover BLACKPOOL
1926 - Reds depart BLACKPOOL
1944 - Reds arrive SCAMPTON
Back to top Go down
MF1

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 07:39

I do not know the timings but the Vulcan may make a quick visit on her travels over the weekend. It will be one fly through.
I remember when the F117 stealth did Sunderland and it flew through on a quite Sunday afternoon.
So fingers crossed.
The parking of aircraft will be on Samson apron on Friday and then they will reposition on to the Golf apron on Saturday as they did last year.

A word of warning though new signs have been put up before the round about at Wings stating pass holders only restricted area. The based police unit will be patrolling this area constantly. So remember that if you stray that you are in a restricted area. Be polite if stopped as the guys are not at all anti spotter but have a job to do and with a lot of people hanging around fences at a civil airport on a busy weekend they will be stretched.
As mentioned the nature reserve car park at the end of 25 is a good bet for this end. If 07 is in use I am not sure but you maybe ok i the cargo area off the main road beside the Wheatsheaf.

Michael

www.mf-images.com
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 08:43

MF1 wrote:
I do not know the timings but the Vulcan may make a quick visit on her travels over the weekend. It will be one fly through.

The Vulcan has an 8 minute slot available for its display at Sunderland starting at 16:00 on Saturday

Red Arrows are displaying both days with a 23 minute display slot starting at 12:00
but the main continuous displays start at 13:30 (not sure why there is an hour gap in between)
Typhoon 45 finishes both days programme with an 8 minute display slot at 16:39 Sat and 16:47 Sun

All times are provisional at this stage
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 14:28

Sunderland Airshow website is showing the Dutch F16 displaying at 9.45 on Friday night as part of the opening evening (sandwiched between ABC and the fireworks).

This could offer some interesting low light photo opportunities.
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-22, 15:22

Any word on Friday arrival times? Will some arrive Saturday morning? I think the forcast is not very good for Friday. Weekend looks good though - hope it's not a repeat of last year.
Back to top Go down
MF1

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-23, 03:01

Virtually all should arrive on Friday throughout the day. No times yet
Back to top Go down
MF1

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-23, 11:56

Here is the display for Saturday at Sunderland

1200 Red Arrows
1330 RNAF F16
1343 Swift Gliders
1354 Blades
1410 RN Sea King
1432 Tutor
1441 Hawk
1450 Blue Eagles
1501 Falcons
1518 King Air
1526 Black Cats
1540 BBMF
1550 BBMF Dc3
1600 Vulcan
1610 BAF F16
1624 RN Merlin
1632 Chinook
1644 Typhoon

I think the gliders will fit in between the Arrows and the F16
All times are subject to change

Whitburn Radio 121.175

NCL Display 122.675

Black Cats operating from Sunderlands training ground
Team Guionet Operating Peterlee
BBMF EDI then Carlisle
Gliders Curock Hill
Chinook Whitburn Range then to NCL

All others should be operating from NCL over the weekend.

The display line is a min 230 metres from the crowd line.
Also Friday nights flypast should see some flares from the Dutch F16

Michael

www.mf-images.com
Back to top Go down
Bat 21
Photo of the Month Runner-Up

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-23, 12:13

Thanks for taking the time to supply the info Michael (MF1)
I was just about to ask if anyone knew what freq's would be in use Big Grin

Regards
Bat 21
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty2009-07-23, 12:43

Thanks for the info MF1. For a free airshow I think it's a good line up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing Empty

Back to top Go down

Sunderland Airshow - Participants/Movements/Timings/Viewing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Airshows :: Airshows -