New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Off topic / Any other business section?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should FC have an Off topic section?
Yes, I think it's a good idea
Off topic / Any other business section? Vote_lcap18%Off topic / Any other business section? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 24 ]
No! other sites are available for that
Off topic / Any other business section? Vote_lcap57%Off topic / Any other business section? Vote_rcap
 57% [ 75 ]
Give it a months trial
Off topic / Any other business section? Vote_lcap24%Off topic / Any other business section? Vote_rcap
 24% [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 131

Poll closed

pikey01
pikey01

Off topic / Any other business section? Vide
PostSubject: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 02:13

Several members have recently requested an off topic section to talk about anything they want news/sport etc. The FC team have there own opinions, but its you who use the site and contribute. So yes or no?
Back to top Go down
keiron lammond

Spotter Watch Member : Nope

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 04:21

No. The reason I (and I suspect, many others) enjoy this site is because it is pure, uninterrupted Military Aviation. Really there is no need for an Off Topic section. There are different forums all of the internet for almost every possible topic of conversation. This forum happens to be about Military Aviation. Let's keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.klammond.f2s.com/
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 04:40

I appreciate your honest answer Keiron, im sure your not alone in your opinion. This is why it is being put to a public vote rather than forcing it on members.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 05:20

keiron lammond wrote:
No. The reason I (and I suspect, many others) enjoy this site is because it is pure, uninterrupted Military Aviation. Really there is no need for an Off Topic section. There are different forums all of the internet for almost every possible topic of conversation. This forum happens to be about Military Aviation. Let's keep it that way.

Hear hear, my thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
rj79

rj79

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 05:42

My thoughts exactly, thats what all the social networking sites, MSN etc etc are for, it would just clutter the site and would probably be a nightmare to moderate as well.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 05:54

rj79 wrote:
would probably be a nightmare to moderate as well.

A thought which had occured to us lol! As mentioned in a previous post ALL the FC team appreciate your input good or bad, after all if you dont tell us we dont know ;)
Back to top Go down
onemac

onemac

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 08:59

I can't see the harm if some members wish to have this facility and the mods are prepared to monitor it. Those members who don't wish to have this board can ignore it.

I don't think a poll is quite the way to decide the outcome though as it's bound to leave the minority unhappy.

Al
Back to top Go down
Aileron

Aileron

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-02, 09:04

onemac wrote:
I can't see the harm if some members wish to have this facility and the mods are prepared to monitor it. Those members who don't wish to have this board can ignore it.

I don't think a poll is quite the way to decide the outcome though as it's bound to leave the minority unhappy.

Al

it will leave some people happy and some people unhappy.

i personaly would be happy with it. but i would be unhappy if it upset other members. if it happens great if it doesnt happen great. as long as every ones happy.

if this were to happen have you thought about having a couple more mods as there will be a few more things todo??
Back to top Go down
KatieW

KatieW

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-03, 03:22

One of the other forums I post on has an off-topic Forum. It's called The Lounge and posts don't count towards the main post-count.
It's pretty much anything goes, but it has been closed recently for everyone to take a "time out".

Although I voted yes and to trial it for a month, it wouldn't really bother me if the Mods decided not to, I post on 4 or 5 forums and all have an off-topic board or thread so it's not a problem not to have one here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clawmarksphotography.co.uk
Chris H

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-03, 04:35

Why not give it a try and see how it goes?
Back to top Go down
vulcan558
vulcan558

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-03, 05:00

Gone for the month trial on my vote ,
Not a big fan for the off topic , but if used correctly it could be an intresting area to view if you so wish.

I have no problems with the ability to moderate the off topic,
the present team are more that up to the task,

As been said the site is for all the members. and the team are just trying to
take the site from strentgh to strentgh , this being done by the members input of what you want .
cannot please all but a happy balance as to be priority.
Back to top Go down
Aileron

Aileron

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-03, 05:19

vulcan558 wrote:
Gone for the month trial on my vote.

As been said the site is for all the members. and the team are just trying to
take the site from strentgh to strentgh , this being done by the members input of what you want .
cannot please all but a happy balance as to be priority.

i totaly agree with you vulcan558
Back to top Go down
Ben Montgomery
Ben Montgomery

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 10:15

Personally I think that FC is more of a "serious" aviation forum than some of the others, and so an Off Topic forum isnt really required here. Having said that, I voted for the one month trial, just to see - it might end up being really good!

Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.ramaphotography.co.uk
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 11:53

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I will leave this running for one more week, so if any members have anything more to add get in quick ;)
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 12:38

A definite NO from me. There was enough trouble with arguments and "strong opinions" on the old FC - That's just asking for trouble! Also, why unnecessarily use bandwidth?
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 12:39

I'm not being funny,but less than 5% of members have voted,what's happened to the other 2,200+ ?
Back to top Go down
Ben Montgomery
Ben Montgomery

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 13:01

I would guess some members just join to be able to view the forums, and are not interested in inputting anything? You never get a large percentage of any target audience voting in a poll anyhow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ramaphotography.co.uk
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 13:36

TheOriginalMonty wrote:
I would guess some members just join to be able to view the forums, and are not interested in inputting anything?

End of the day Ben is right, but if members dont have thier say then they cant complain at the outcome ;)
Back to top Go down
typhoon4

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 14:45

I agree with most others, this is an aviation forum, i.e lets talk about aircraft maters!!!!
Back to top Go down
48thEagle

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 14:54

I say no.

As we are in the position of potentially receiving yellow cards for posting a pic of a civilian aircraft, even if it has gone to a military installation, then surely we cant have an area where talking of anything but military would be allowed.

Like others, I come here to follow my hobby of military aircraft, if I want to discuss politics, x-factor, deviant behaviour, then I know where to find sites that cater for it.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 15:02

I don't think anyone would be yellow carded for posting pics of civil aircraft, only if they were stupid enough to do it over and over again after being warned. You will note very few people have ever been yellow-carded on the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-04, 15:04

SteveS wrote:
You will note very few people have ever been yellow-carded on the forum.

Spot on, only three I believe and that wasn't for posting Civvies.

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbrokenPhotography.co.uk
48thEagle

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-05, 10:48

I wasn't saying the cards are thrown like confetti, just pointing out that rule is in place, given with the warning of the cards, and making it very clear this forum is for military aviation only.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-05, 11:23

Fair enough mate.

Keep your thoughts coming everyone

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
STEVIEJAWS

STEVIEJAWS

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty2009-04-06, 21:38

I don't see the need for an off topic area , I come here for the Military Aviation. If I want to talk about football or politics I'll go to one of the numerous websites for that. If it ain't broke don't fix it !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off topic / Any other business section? Off topic / Any other business section? Empty

Back to top Go down

Off topic / Any other business section?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: FC Information -