New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Yeovilton Airshow

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Box Brownie

Spotter Watch Member : No

Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-09, 07:20

Hi Digz

Ref the weather, yes heres hoping it blows through or out but soon! I suppose the most accurate we will get will be by midday tomorrow i.e. less than 12/24 hours forecast.

Re allowing time to get onsite, any feedback on that post???
Back to top Go down
Box Brownie

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-09, 12:28

Forecast has not changed much so far Crying

Oh well, it was showers the day I chose for FIA 2008, showery during the Jersey airshow last year as well and I was hoping for a good weather airshow for the only major one I have arranged to go to for this year. If only light showers then OK but it does muck the day up especially if they manage to put the better/best 'up' during the showery period. Oh well, thats UK weather for you Opps you never know it could be an "underpromise & overdeliver" situation ~ Thumbs Up if it happens to be good on the day Wow
Back to top Go down
Roger50046

Spotter Watch Member : Will be soon!!

PostSubject: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-09, 13:25

I am arriving by Road from Herefordshire, what is the best route keep on M5 and come off at 25 or come off at Bristol and go through and down A37?

It is my first time at yeovilton so need to ensure my journey is nice and easy as going to be on the road for about 2 1/2 hours,
Back to top Go down
Box Brownie

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-09, 13:30

From the pdf I downloaded off the site, does this help until any more in the 'locale' knowledge chip in. Thumbs Up
AIR DAY 2009 TRAFFIC PLAN SUMMARY
A303 Public from Exeter
. Proceed over Cartgate R/A. Turn off at the Ilchester junction and head into Ilchester by taking the 1st exit at the
A37/B3151 R/A. Proceed through Ilchester to the mini R/A, take the 2
nd exit up Costello Hill, past the road closure and right into Phantom Car Park.
A303 Coaches/Disabled from Exeter. Vehicles should proceed to Podimore R/A, taking the 3rd exit back on to the A303, then follow the A303 up
until Camel Cross and turn right heading back towards Stockwitch Cross. Here the Coaches and Disabled will turn right and then left into the rear of
Fury Car Park and will park on grass-crete side of the centre road facing the museum.
A372 & A37 Public Southbound. Down to Podimore R/A, exiting for Podimore. Take the first right and proceed into Wessex car park.
A372 & A37 Coaches/Disabled Southbound. At the Podimore R/A turn left on to the A303 and proceed to Camel Cross to turn right towards
Stockwitch Cross. Here the Coaches and Disabled will turn right and then left into the rear of Fury Car Park and will park on grass-crete side of the
centre road facing the museum.
A303 Public from London At Sparkford R/A take the 3rd exit continuing onto A303 Westrbound and onto Camel Cross. Here the Public must go
straight on and come off at the Podimore slip road, then turn left and go into Hurricane Car Park.
A303 Coaches/Disabled from London. All vehicles will be signed off the 3th exit at Sparkford R/A down the A303 and turn left off at Camel Cross,
onto Stockwitch Cross. Coaches and Disabled will turn right at Stockwitch Cross and then left into Fury Car Park.
A37 Public from Dorchester. At the top of Hendford Hill all traffic to be sent down, over the Police Station R/A and take the 1st exit at the Hospital
R/A. At the College R/A, all traffic will be signed to take the 3
rd exit, A359 to Sparkford. Follow the A359 through Mudford and Marston Magna, up to
the mini R/A at Queen Camel. Turn left and go down the minor road towards Hunter Car Park.
A37 Coaches/Disabled from Dorchester. Follow directions as above. At the Queen Camel mini R/A take the 2nd exit, and carry on the A359 to
the Sparkford R/A. Take the 1
st exit and join the A303 Westbound and turn left at Camel Cross towards Stockwitch Cross. Turn right at Stockwitch
Cross and then left into Fury Car Park.
A30 From Sherborne In advance of the Hospital R/A all traffic to be directed off at the 3rd exit, heading towards the College R/A, joining above
route from Dorchester.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE TEMPORARY AIR DAY TRAFFIC SIGNS FOR
THE QUICKEST ROUTE TO THE NEAREST CAR PARK
Back to top Go down
Roger50046

Spotter Watch Member : Will be soon!!

PostSubject: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-09, 13:36

Thanks Box Brownie, i must have a closer look at the atlas to try and ascertain the best route, i had seen this on the web but i think best if i wait for the locale knowledge to filter through Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Box Brownie

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-09, 13:43

Ref : more 'locale' knowledge. Yes, we are staying down near Sherborne and apparently the journey time is max 20 mins (I wish) across country but really would welcome some feedback as to actually how long it could take as thinking it would be good to get parked up by about 9am if possible?
Back to top Go down
Digz

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-10, 04:04

Hi Box Brownie, I missed the post about traffic. Im coming down from Bristol. Its about an hours drive. In the past, although the gates dont open until 9 we have aimed to get there for about 8 to queue (a great british past-time) Even at 8 the queue can be quite hefty. In order to get there for 8 I want to be away from home no later than about 7:00 ideally I want to leave about 6:45ish. In the past at this time the traffice has been ok with me picking up a trail of cars around Podington but its all been free flowing. I would seriously suggest thinking about getting there earlier than 9 espceically if you want a good position at the crowdline.
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-10, 15:42

WELL DONE to Yeovilton for getting THREE Rafales (One displaying) which to be honest with turns like it did looked to put the Typhoon to shame, nearly stopping in mid air while turning hard and for approach, just basically dropping like a stone but keeping it in control by the air under those big wings.
Well Done by getting the Vulcan which came in and made everyone under the approach cack themselves...
Well Done for getting the Spanish AV8Bs
Well Done for the German Atlantic ELINT
Well Done for the 7 F-16s, yes, you heard it right.
Well Done for the Frecce's
hmm... and a rather special Assault Demo, something everyone was taken by surprise by... with two Lynx doing a show we haven't seen before along with two Harriers and two Hunters involved.

Pity it was crap weather (again)
Back to top Go down
Skoshi

Skoshi

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-10, 15:50

Wonder if the Show Organiser at Waddo is watching!!!! Opps

hope you guys ahve a great day! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
gary lees

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-10, 16:12

Razor61 wrote:
WELL DONE to Yeovilton for getting THREE Rafales (One displaying) which to be honest with turns like it did looked to put the Typhoon to shame, nearly stopping in mid air while turning hard and for approach, just basically dropping like a stone but keeping it in control by the air under those big wings.
Well Done by getting the Vulcan which came in and made everyone under the approach cack themselves...
hmm... and a rather special Assault Demo, something everyone was taken by surprise by... with two Lynx doing a show we haven't seen before along with two Harriers and two Hunters involved.

I wasn`t there but from reports I have read I thought it was 8 !!! F16`s.....shame I dont need any of them Crying
Back to top Go down
glasfryn

glasfryn

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-10, 16:50

Just got back from there and had a fantastic day.......Well done to all at Yeovilton Clap
Back to top Go down
philip44

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 04:43

Razor61 wrote:
Regarding the Assault Demo. They put on two rehearsals on Friday, one around midday and the other at 6pm and to be honest, it is something you would not forget in a hurry.
If you are at the 27 end like 99.9% of the people are (regardless of the wind direction) then you get all the helicopters come over your head at tree top height doing tactical assaults and underslung loads.
At some points you will get numerous Lynx coming at you from all directions, its a case of not knowing where to look...its like flies all over the place its that cool.
On the show day, for the assault demo, the front of the crowd line is the place to be if you want some fantastic opportunities as at the end there is an explosion, you really REALLY need your cameras ready as you could bag one of your best photos ever... if you catch it right.

The only issue for this years arrivals is going to be the parking....

As for the crowd line question.... you are facing the sun all day but that doesn't stop some brilliant photos being taken.
Atleast one or two hangars are open (with helicopters inside open to the public) and a large amount of based Lynx are on line-up.

It is (if nothing cancels) looking to be the best show in the UK (other than RIAT) considering last year Waddington took all the aircraft and barely anything turned up at Yeovilton. This year its the other way round, Waddington was sparse, Yeovilton is getting some great acts including a UK debut.

the assult demo very impressive
the event as a whole well worth a friday afternoon and 20£

well done to all the organisers
phil
Back to top Go down
philip44

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 04:45

the flares were quite a surprise

it was 8 F16 6 klu and 2 belguim

well done indeed

Razor61 wrote:

Back to top Go down
Blackcat1

Blackcat1

PostSubject: Yeovilton Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 07:50

Got there at 0750, had a brilliant day luckily found a place to park almost straight away, Rafales' were awesome, F16s brilliant, Air Assault (1st time for me) was really enjoyable, great to see the Hunters and Harriers take part and of course the Lynx's shooting off their flares was unexpected, Frecce were great as usual damn that smoke was lingering and thick!, was going to leave at 5.30 until someone said the Vulcan was due and after Waddington i didnt believe it but decided to stay incase, then got a text saying the Vulcan was airborne out of Waddington, and surely enough it was gracing the skies around Somerset, it was a great sight, but has seemed to have lost that magnificent groan it used to make as it used to climb away from the crowd when it did its wingover, but never the less a treat to see. Great to see the Spanish AV8B Harriers turn up (didnt think they would) and of course the French Navy Rafale (which i think replaced the Super Etendard??) or did that arrive this morning? damn that was noisy i was right under it when it came in!, thanks to the Atlantique which was great to see doing a low flyby before the rain set it.

Overall awesome day which put RIAT arrivals last year to shame (i think anyway lol) roll on next year, only took us 1.45 to get there, which is good going.

Nice to meet quite a few locals which amazingly were not members of Fighter Control!!!!!

Thanks Yeovilton and see you next year!
Back to top Go down
Dunk
Admin
Admin
Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 08:22

Good to see my old stomping ground pulling out all the stops for this 100th year of Naval Aviation - gutted I couldnt be there, Yeovilton arrivals is one of my favourite days of the year.

Shame about the weather - again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vividmule.com
Blackcat1

Blackcat1

PostSubject: weather Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 08:28

The weather wasnt as bad as Fairford last year!! lol, a few showers, but i think we escaped the worse of it, hope they are having a good day for the show, they deserve it.
I shouldnt forget the local teams, the Blue Eagles were good, damn they can throw that Lynx around!! very impressive.
Back to top Go down
Sheff

Sheff

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 10:44

er... you telling me the Etendards didn't arrive, the Vulcan didn't fly and it rained? Think I'm of the same opinion as last week's Waddington show then - glad I didn't bother!

Any shows actually gonna turn out good this year? I'm starting to wonder Roll Eyes
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 11:07

Blackcat1 wrote:
The weather wasnt as bad as Fairford last year!! lol, a few showers, but i think we escaped the worse of it, hope they are having a good day for the show, they deserve it.
I shouldnt forget the local teams, the Blue Eagles were good, damn they can throw that Lynx around!! very impressive.

The weather was great for RIAT last year,it was the amount of rain that fell earlier in the week that was the problem.Plenty of sun on the Saturday and Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Rural Outpost

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 11:16

I would be grateful if any one could tell me if the vulcan is night stopping at Yeovilton, and leaving Sunday morning ? I was at Yeovilton for the arrivals on Friday but left before the harriers, some of the F16s and vulcan arrived. As the forecast is good for tomorow I am thinking of going to have a look tomorow morning as I am only 35 mins away.

Regards
Rural Outpost
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 12:22

The Vulcan never displayed due to going tech so not sure when it's leaving...
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 12:45

Those who attented the arrivals day were treated to something not even in the airshow.
The Assault Demo was completely re-profiled this year.
Instead of the Navy Lynx taking part they did their own little show beforehand called the "Maritime Lynx Display" and although they did their usual slinging it around altogether, Yeovilton put in the Antarctic Lynx for viewing pleasure as well as the Arctic Camo Commando HC4 (and the Retro Seaking for the flypast). And at the end they had two Lynx do a pull up and fire off loads of Flares (in the arrivals) but they never did this in the show today. Nice to see it on the arrivals though!

Also the Blue Eagles Lynx didn't do its display, it peeled off from the Apache and sat down near th Tower... so again, the arrivals day had the full rehearsal.

What didn't display today due to weather?

Rafale (1/4 display)
Typhoon
Harriers
Hunters
Falcon 20s and Seahawks (did flypast)
Vulcan
Dutch F16 (orange one)
Chinook (it took off and buggered off!)
Plus a few others of course.

Rafale pilot really pulled out the stops to try and display for us all, he told Tower he was going up to see what he could do with the 500ft cloud base...sure enough, he pulled some high energy turns complete with fluff but the cloud was so low he had to call it off... Bravo for him getting airborne to TRY and please us all.... the Typhoon called it off way before (or was he scared Razz ).
To be honest, that Rafale is in my opinion the most manoevreable aircraft i have seen display at Yeovilton. The turns do look to be much tighter than the Typoon and the way they just cut off power and drop like a rock to finals but under full control due to the air under the wings is amazing. Also, i've never seen a conventional jet powered aircraft 'stop' like that does for finals... coming to approach speed from 400 kts in an unbelievable time. It's like it just got pulled to a slow speed by a magnet.

About the Vulcan, the good thing is, when it went tech, they pulled it from the old SHAR ramp to within the crowd line, in an enclosure for it, so it was surrounded by the people wanting to see..... some a little too close as its left wing went over the barriers and thus peoples heads but they all smiled.

What was a moment for me was a conversation i overheard by two very old gentleman with one who obviously only went there to see the Vulcan and for whatever his reasons got really emotional. He said to the other, with a tear in his eye.... "this might be the last time i ever see the Vulcan and i really wanted to see her fly".

Overall, today was marred badly by the weather, if it had been sunny, i think this years Yeovilton airshow would have been one of, if not the best airshows in the UK in 2009.
For FLY NAVY 100, Yeovilton really did pull out the stops to get what they managed to get. And the new assault demo was fantastic (so was the old one).

But, it is true that the Vulcan seems to be the most 'wanted' aircraft people go to see fly. When they announced it would not be flying, half the crowd did a *waddo* and left. Without seeing the Demo, of which unfortunately half way through the rain really did come down.

Cheers to all that made the arrivals a good day (Morley and co, Nige, Nick, Graham *pikey* and Alfa et al).
And thanks to Morley for the lift on Friday and Nick for Saturday... very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Mayfly

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 12:47

Shes fixed now, I don't know for sure but I thought I heard at Waddington if all went according to plan [and she made Yeovilton] she was staying at there until she departs for RIAT next friday
Back to top Go down
old_git

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 12:51

someone on PPRUNE stated that she only had 5 landings left before a major repair job to replace one undercarriage leg.

so i hope that they are at least saving the remaining landings for Fairford if that is the case.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
Freeman Lowell

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 13:15

I must endorse what Razor61 says and congratulate the organisers this year. The arrivals day and show beat my expectations (whereas Waddo didn't).
The FAF Rafale/s were the best but mention has to be made of the Freece who are able to display under any cloud base and give a whole new meaning to the phrase 'in your face'. At least to those of us Pyle Lane.
Roll on next year.

Freeman
Blandford Forum
Back to top Go down
headset 57

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty2009-07-11, 14:12

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8146132.stm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yeovilton Airshow

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 3 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Airshows :: Airshows -