New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Photo locations at Culdrose?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Sea King

Spotter Watch Member : No

Photo locations at Culdrose? Vide
PostSubject: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-04-26, 11:46

I occasionally drop into the CU viewing area next to the Vistors' Centre but find photography almost impossible due to the fence and the position of the sun (sun, what's that?). Would anyone be able to point me towards a decent location from where I can take photos?
Back to top Go down
Rob-54321

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-08-01, 06:47

ever tried flying overhead in a glider?('Cheers')
Back to top Go down
i ball

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-08-04, 14:29

Does anyone know off which piece of coastline 771 practice aircraft handling. I believe that there is a rock where they touch the rear wheel as part of the handling training.

Back to top Go down
Grahame W

Grahame W

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-08-05, 08:01

My old copy of Lowdown gives three possible locations for this:
(1) Trewavas Head, about 6 miles west of Culdrose, on the edge of Mounts Bay. Park at the NT carpark at Rinsey, then take the coastal path east for about a quarter of a mile. According to Lowdown, this is used for winch training, and there is a rock pinnacle where the wheels are placed for positioning training, so it sounds like the place you mention
(2) Hells Mouth, on the north coast, off the B3301.
(3) Crane Islands, about two and a half miles to the north of Hells Mouth.

I haven't visited any of these locations personally, I'm only going by Lowdown. This was published in 2001, so it may be a bit out of date now.
Back to top Go down
i ball

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-08-06, 13:53

Cheers Grahame
Back to top Go down
id2770

id2770

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-08-07, 09:05

It was my pictures of 771 Sqn doing this on the Camels Head at Trewavas Head, Rinsey. Unfortunately they no longer practice this there as the rock has become too unstable, I was informed by one of the crew a few years ago. The other 2 locations are still good, they mainly practice winching on the rock just off shore and sometimes on the mainland at Crane Islands.

Iwan
Back to top Go down
id2770

id2770

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty2009-08-08, 01:52

Just re read my message which doesn't completley make sense, so ill try again. It was my picture and info in the Lowdown book, and the picture was taken in 1999, but following a conversation with a 771 Sqn crew member they no longer practice this manouvere at Trewavas Head due to the instability of the rock, however they do carry out winching training still in that general area.

Iwan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photo locations at Culdrose? Photo locations at Culdrose? Empty

Back to top Go down

Photo locations at Culdrose?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: Wales & South West & Home Counties :: RNAS Culdrose -