New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Piston Engines

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Melford Blue

Piston Engines Vide
PostSubject: Piston Engines Piston Engines Empty2008-11-26, 12:56

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a good book on aircraft piston engines? I fancy getting a book on them for my dad for Christmas, but there seems to be more titles on the subject than i expected. Preferably a book that goes into detail about the development as well as listing different makes/models and the aircraft they were used in.

Many thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Grahame W

Grahame W

Piston Engines Vide
PostSubject: Re: Piston Engines Piston Engines Empty2008-11-26, 21:58

I can recommend "Development of Piston Aero Engines" by the great Bill Gunston (PSL, 2nd ed 1999, ISBN 978-1-85260-619-0). The first section describes the principles of how engines work, the second is a history of how engines developed. There is no list of engines/aircraft, but the second section does describe certain key powerplants. The book is quite technical in places (particular the first part), but Gunston has a great knack of describing technical issues in a clear and interesting way. He has also done a similar book on turbine engines.
Back to top Go down
Michael Leek
Michael Leek

Spotter Watch Member : No

Piston Engines Vide
PostSubject: Re: Piston Engines Piston Engines Empty2008-11-27, 15:45

You could also contact the libraries of the Science Museum in London and the RAF Museum at Hendon for advice.

A good bookshop with a vast range of aviation titles is Motorbooks, off Charing Cross Road in London.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelleek.co.uk
chockchain

Piston Engines Vide
PostSubject: Re: Piston Engines Piston Engines Empty2008-12-21, 13:41

Hi, you could try & obtain some by this deceased author,

Setright, L. J. K. (1975). Some Unusual Engines, Mechanical Engineering Publications. ISBN 0-85298-208-9.
Setright, L. J. K. (1971). The Power to Fly: The Development of the Piston Engine in Aviation, Allen & Unwin. ISBN 0043380417.

real gems if you can find one, start looking now for Dad's present for next year.
hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
chockchain

Piston Engines Vide
PostSubject: Re: Piston Engines Piston Engines Empty2008-12-22, 04:48

Hi again,
just for a taster, although it's not a book format, take a visit to this Danish
gentlemans web site, move to library & drool over all the engines there.

www.stobbe.dk

I know it won't help with the shopping list, but it's an excellent reference!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Piston Engines Vide
PostSubject: Re: Piston Engines Piston Engines Empty

Back to top Go down

Piston Engines

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Aviation Books :: Books -