New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New and needing advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Blodhemn

Blodhemn

Spotter Watch Member : no

New and needing advice Vide
PostSubject: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty2009-04-14, 13:46

Hi there again

I went along to RAF Shawbury today to try out my new Sigma 400mm lens. It was the 1st time I had gone to the spotting location mentioned in the viewing guide at top of Shawbury section. Bloody hell was I suprised. 3 Squirrels doing hovering practice right in front of me, and a Chinook landing (just missed that sadly).

However, as we were so close only seperated by a waist high fence and a couple of hundred yards, and a police car driving around. I was too scared to even get my camera out of my bag in case i got arrested. My wife was also slightly un-nerved by the signs round the base saying no photography, and no entry etc... We stayed for a short while watching the Squirrels and one what I think was an all grey Griffin with RESCUE on the side coming in to land. Would love to have got some pics, but like i say, was too bloody scared of getting my camera confiscated.

Can someone tell me are we definately allowed to photograph these helicopters? I wish there were some other spotters there, as that would have made me right at ease. I guess its just because im new at this.

Any advice, would be greatly received.

Thanks
Rob
Back to top Go down
http://www.danelaw.net
SteveS
SteveS

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty2009-04-14, 13:54

Rob,

I have photographed from all of the places mentioned on the guide - I put it together! The one spot down the narrow lane, directly opposite the apron is great - as you say they hover just yards away from you.

I have never been told not to take pics at a base, and certainly not been arrested! You may find the Police will talk to you, and may move you on, but that is unlikely. Having said that I've not seen any no photography signs at Shawbury before.

You certainly won't get arrested unless you are doing something really stupid, like balancing your camera on your rocket launcher while trying to line up a shot.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
SCARECROW

SCARECROW

Spotter Watch Member : NO NEED

PostSubject: Re: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty2009-04-15, 01:30

Its def ok to take pics here, the coppers may stop and have a word but they are more concerned about a certain pilot under training ere ! :)
Back to top Go down
Blodhemn

Blodhemn

PostSubject: Re: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty2009-04-15, 03:20

Thank you so much guys. Thats good to know. If the weather is good ill pop back up there tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Blodhemn

Blodhemn

PostSubject: Re: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty2009-04-24, 02:16

Not had chance to pop back up to Shawbury yet. But have another small question, if you guys don't mind.

Whilst im working down in the Ironbridge Gorge, Occasionally we have a Chinook or two fly over, mongst other things, but by the time I have got my Camera they have passed. So I bought myself a nice scanner (Yupiteru MVT-7100), But im not sure which Frequency would be best to monitor in order to know anything was heading my way. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
dubmasteruk

dubmasteruk

PostSubject: Re: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty2009-04-24, 03:38

Hi,

Try Shawbury Low Level freq 376.675, aircraft tend to use this whilst transiting into the LFA. Also Shawbury zone 120.775 and Shawbury Approach 282.00.

The NATO common low level freq of 278.00 is also worth monitoring.

Cosford freqs of 135.875 and 376.425 and Wolverhampton 123.00 may also be a good idea to monitor.

If you need a full list of Shawbury freqs let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New and needing advice New and needing advice Empty

Back to top Go down

New and needing advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: West Midlands :: RAF Shawbury -