New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RAF Honington & RAF Barnham

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

RAF Honington & RAF Barnham Vide
PostSubject: RAF Honington & RAF Barnham RAF Honington & RAF Barnham Empty2009-04-14, 09:11

Honington

Blackburn Buccaneer SB2 XK526 still stands proud at the main gate in far better condition than when I saw it last. Sadly another security fence has been put in front, so you cannot get a good shot from the main road.

Permission to take a photo of this aircraft has now been refused, due to the number of people enquiring about it Crying

I even took my old ATC photo of me in front of the Bucc, the guys on the gate were really sympathetic, and did try their best, but the answer was no.

Sadly the Buccaneer and the Lightning that was viewable from Fakenham Hill are no longer on the dump. It was 19 years ago since I was last there.

Barnham

The Vampire is no longer at Barnham, the MOD Police officer on the gate has said that it was repainted by the Air Cadets in the 90's in RAF colours and was moved to Sunderland Museum.

It wasn't in RAF Colours when I was there, can't remember if it was in Swiss or Canadian colours, but there was a plaque in the ground about it.

Alot of Barnham camp has been returned back to the Forrestry Commission and alot of the old part has been filled in and covered over with grass and trees have been planted, erasing it's murky past from aerial photography.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
SCARECROW

SCARECROW

Spotter Watch Member : NO NEED

PostSubject: Re: RAF Honington & RAF Barnham RAF Honington & RAF Barnham Empty2009-04-15, 10:07

The Vampire was there in 1989, think it moved to Sunderland about 90/91 ish. Good job it was moved as various drunken groups often turned it around for a laugh, it was in RAF colours in 89.

Not surprised Honington refused your pic, its full of not very bright Regiment who don't have a clue about people wanting to take pictures of aircraft, and not many people ask about it, sounds if the could'nt be rrsed
to help you out. Confused
( ex AATC, did 5 years at Honington when it was a real airbase !!!) Cheers
Back to top Go down
madcat11

madcat11

PostSubject: Re: RAF Honington & RAF Barnham RAF Honington & RAF Barnham Empty2009-04-15, 20:14

I seem to remember an old story about the Buccaneer on the main gate at Honington. When the Regiment took over, the incoming Camp Commandant said "we'll soon have that heap of scrap carted away" the out going Station Commander said "we'll see about that". That very week the Padre carried out a ceremony in front of the Bucc which immediately upped its status to a memorial.

This, my friends, is why you still have the chance to view a real aeroplane at the gate and not a piece of armour.
Back to top Go down
SCARECROW

SCARECROW

Spotter Watch Member : NO NEED

PostSubject: Re: RAF Honington & RAF Barnham RAF Honington & RAF Barnham Empty2009-04-17, 15:03

Quote :
I seem to remember an old story about the Buccaneer on the main gate at Honington. When the Regiment took over, the incoming Camp Commandant said "we'll soon have that heap of scrap carted away" the out going Station Commander said "we'll see about that". That very week the Padre carried out a ceremony in front of the Bucc which immediately upped its status to a memorial.

This, my friends, is why you still have the chance to view a real aeroplane at the gate and not a piece of armour

Thank goodness, bleedin rocks !!!!

Seem to remember that Staish did'nt like rocks ruining a flying station !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAF Honington & RAF Barnham RAF Honington & RAF Barnham Empty

Back to top Go down

RAF Honington & RAF Barnham

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Demobbed :: Wrecks & Relics / Museums -