New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spotting Sites in Northumberland

View previous topic View next topic Go down
St. John

St. John

Spotter Watch Member : No

Spotting Sites in Northumberland Vide
PostSubject: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty2009-03-20, 02:54

Can anyone recommend a good location in East Northumberland to spot anything tracking to/from Otterburn or Spade?. Is there a single access track over the coast?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty2009-03-21, 18:15

I had written a lengthy reply yesterday only for the site to decide that I needed to log in (despite having already been logged in) - the result was the loss of my reply and having to try to remember it all again!
So a slightly shorter reply this time, and perhaps not really the full help that you were wanting, especially as I'll mention other parts of the county!.

I drive about the north fairly often and by way of observation note the following areas to explore (some of which you may have already sussed out)
1/ Inbound to Otterburn from the east - I've often seen plenty of activity around Bamburgh southwards, and if you drew a line from Bamburgh to Alwinton, and another line from Alnmouth to Otterburn village, you have an approximation of corridor used to fly into the Otterburn range. Within this corridor there are a few possible high spots to explore around Chatton Moor/Ros castle/Bewick Moor, Simonside, hills NE of Alwinton and Harbottle Hills on the edge of the range.
2/. Inbound to Otterburn and Spadeadam from the south - the Pennine moors in a corridor with its east side being a line between Tow Law to Riding Mill and its west side being a line following the West Allen river valley (and I guess this could be extended right the way across to the Eden valley, but I don't know much about flight routes in that area!). Stanhope Common and Hexhamshire Common can have a fair degree of overflight, with the A68 occasionally being followed by helicopters and hercs. This corridor then leads north into the North Tyne valley which leads up into Otterburn range and westwards into the Spadeadam range. For the latter, a single track road leading form Nunwick/Simonburn up to Stonehaugh follows a ridgeline and low flying aircraft can be seen to the north side of this road above Gofton and Warks Burns. This route leads into the Wiley Sike part of the range to the north side of the Hopealone aerial across Scotchcoultard Waste (great name). The area between Scotchcoulthard waste and Churnside Lodge can be a good place to see helicopters.
3/. As noted above, another corridor into Spadeadam will be via the west Pennines and Eden valley, and I recently had some good viewing of aircraft using the west side of the range overflying the minor road near Allieshaw Rigg near Birdoswald. The poor photo below gives an idea of the height (just a shame that I wasn't better prepared!)

Spotting Sites in Northumberland OL250362

Sorry not to have much specifics, but the chance to see and photograph low flying aircraft in the east seems to be so much a case of good luck rather than planning, especially now-a-days. But if linked to NOTAMs re flights & jamming at Brunton, for example, then perhaps your luck will be in.
Back to top Go down
Pete_the_mech

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty2009-03-23, 08:38

druridge bay and coquet island are the entry points for low level into northumberland and myself and mr frodsham had a decent day at this point a month or so back. another great place is ros castle for viewing aircraft but getting a decent shot of low flying jets is few and far between.

i wouldnt bother going onto otterburn range unless you have permission to do so as the range control guys will remove you with no hesitation!
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty2009-03-23, 11:14

thanks catkins... this'll really help
Back to top Go down
catkins

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty2009-03-23, 16:41

Pete_the_mech wrote:

i wouldnt bother going onto otterburn range unless you have permission to do so as the range control guys will remove you with no hesitation!
Agreed, although it can be worth keeping an eye on the red flags - access is allowed on some of the range roads if the flags are down, and the flags generally are there to denote army activity especially live firing. Flying can occur when the red flags are down, but again the chances of being there at the right time are probably less good than a lottery win.
However, a trip up the Coquet valley to Chew Green in the mid afternoon can sometimes be rewarded with the red flags down and the gates open, allowing you to drive up to Golden Pot and OP Tactical Viewpoint 12 from where you get a good view into the central valley of the Otterburn all arms range with various target areas. Just beyond this point there is a gate sometimes stopping off access to the rest of the range - however you can get down to the A68 near Bryness if so.
Coquet valley itself is a beautiful valley, long and twisting, so allow yourself time to enjoy it. Occasionally you can end up driving through the middle of dry training exercises but the road is publicly open up to Chew Green Roman army camps (Otterburn's long history of warfare training is interesting). Red flags may be up until 5pm but sometimes sooner. The Range Liaison Officer can be called on + 44 (0)191 2394201 or +44 (0)191 239422 and http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/visiting/countrysideaccess/otterburntrainingarea.htm has details of exercises (including if aircraft are being used)
Back to top Go down
Skoshi

Skoshi

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty2009-04-24, 07:02

Newton Point is also decent with inbounds/outbounds pending on the flow for the day, decent pub near by too if it gets too cold or quiet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Sites in Northumberland Spotting Sites in Northumberland Empty

Back to top Go down

Spotting Sites in Northumberland

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: Air Weapons Ranges :: Air Weapons Ranges -