New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best spot for photography?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best spot for photography? Vide
PostSubject: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-10, 12:10

I'm going to Scampton tomorrow and wondered where the best spot for display shots is? Not too bothered about take-off or taxying shots. From looking at the viewing guide in the Sticky it seems spot 'h' would be best, anyone else have any advice or opinions? TIA.
Back to top Go down
ryland

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-10, 14:08

I wouldn't recommend point H. The track to it is badly rutted and grounded our car. It was made more awkward as we couldn't turn 'round to go back, and had to reverse all the way down. Not easy!

Mike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-10, 15:07

Lol, did a recce there earlier and got up the track without a problem! Just couldn't get an idea of where the Reds will be in relation to where I was.
Back to top Go down
tornado54

tornado54

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-10, 16:50

Hi,
Personnaly i think point B is the best. I always go there, its great to watch the red arrows displays from there.

James
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-10, 17:21

ryland wrote:
I wouldn't recommend point H. The track to it is badly rutted and grounded our car. It was made more awkward as we couldn't turn 'round to go back, and had to reverse all the way down. Not easy!

Mike.

An alternative for driving up the track to point H is to park at the following. Copy and paste the coords into Google Earth 53°18'03.13"N 0°34'01.87"W. Plenty of room for parking. From here there is a bridlepath that leads up through the woods and takes you out by the fence. A 10 minute walk should take you up to the crash gate.

TJ
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-10, 17:29

john_e wrote:
Lol, did a recce there earlier and got up the track without a problem! Just couldn't get an idea of where the Reds will be in relation to where I was.

It's all very much hit and miss. Firstly the sun will be a problem. Only really good for catching the Reds as they break for landing or re-positioning during the display. If you are in the right place you can catch a Hawk with the light on the top surfaces. It is all very much luck as to where they cross the fence line. They can go either side of the wooded area just up the track from the crash gate.

TJ
Back to top Go down
ryland

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 04:34

john_e wrote:

"Lol" - Grow up!

I don't know what car you've got john_e, or whether we've the same track in mind.
Back to top Go down
ryland

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 04:36

Thanks for the link TJ.

Mike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 04:53

ryland wrote:
"Lol" - Grow up!

I don't know what car you've got john_e, or whether we've the same track in mind.

Blimey, someone's a bit touchy, glad to see the new FC is a friendly place to be. I asked for some friendly advice about watching the Reds practice, not for an analysis of my emotional age versus my chronological age. Thanks to those who replied with help, I'm off to watch In The Night Garden, that's what we 5 year olds do.
Back to top Go down
350biker

PostSubject: Viewing area Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 10:25

I watched this afternoon's 5-ship practice from the new car park/viewing area. Guaranteed no car damage there! Some great shots and you can walk down the road to the crash gate to get the close in t/o and landing shots. Not adventurous perhaps but very civilised.
Back to top Go down
ryland

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 12:30

john_e wrote:
ryland wrote:
"Lol" - Grow up!

Blimey, someone's a bit touchy, glad to see the new FC is a friendly place to be. I asked for some friendly advice about watching the Reds practice, not for an analysis of my emotional age versus my chronological age. Thanks to those who replied with help, I'm off to watch In The Night Garden, that's what we 5 year olds do.

I replied to your question with the intention of helping, not to be LOLed. You may think that sensitive, I don't.

I agree with James and 350biker, Crash Gate 8 (point B) is a pretty good spot.

Last edited by ryland on 2009-03-11, 13:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 12:46

Well depending on the location of the sun and what time of day it is, we all prefer different locations.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
chiz78

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: scampton Best spot for photography? Empty2009-03-11, 14:50

Been today am & pm, viewing area & crash gate just down road were sound

only problem if any if wanting any pics taking off & landing

was warmed tho this morining with the technicians working on a hawk with the down draft!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best spot for photography? Best spot for photography? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best spot for photography?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: East Midlands :: RAF Scampton -