New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reds Diversion Airfield

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Unknown

Spotter Watch Member : No

Reds Diversion Airfield Vide
PostSubject: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-01-22, 05:31

Now that we know that the Red Arrows are moving down the road to Waddington shortly and that they will still be able to use Scampton's Airspace I was also wondering if - now chances are that this has already been asked - will the Team still be able to use Scampton as their Diversion Airfield or will they have to use somewhere like Cranwell or Coningsby? One thought I did have was that when they do make the final move - lock stock etc - I wouldn't like to be on that main road between the two being stuck behind all the Reds Ops Vehicles and when they once again move the Gnat from Scampton to Waddo. Interesting indeed.
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-01-22, 05:37

Depends if the Fire Cover is being cut back ????
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
Hunter_F6

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-01-22, 06:02

seem to recall when they were based at Cranwell the fire cover had to transit daily for them to practice o/h Scampton incase an immediate divert was required.
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milscanners/
PR9

PR9

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-01-26, 12:36

Makes you wonder if it really is a sensible decision to re-locate them to Waddington?

:suspect:
Back to top Go down
XT872

XT872

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-05-24, 08:30

The fire cover will transit from Waddo, when the reds are using the Scampton overhead.
A very reliable source tells me that they will be building a brand new hangar at Waddo for the reds, on the A15 side of the airfield. Those of you in the know will realise that a lot of the hangars at Waddo, have had, or are having, the sliding doors removed from one end of all the hangars. These are then being sealed up with new metalwork.

5 sqn's hangar was being done when I visited earlier in the year, & others were in the process.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Close it......... Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-05-24, 09:05

There must be a "must close Scampton" campaign PR9.
I've thought for ages that Scampton should remain open to support Waddington, maybe with ground based units if they want to save on costs. Shutting too many bases is not good. You never know if we're going to need a few more in the future if we need to re-arm. Sorry, better stop as this is turning into thread creep. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
XT872

XT872

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-05-24, 09:11

Sadly, like most things, it all comes down to cold hard cash... Mad

I think Scampton will remain, even in the way of a small museum, already in place, & dont forget that the hangars are listed.

Theres a lot of land at Scampton, approx 1000 acres, thats a lot of potential money in the governments pocket.

Look at Coltishall, what have they done with that?, built a prison on it!!
Back to top Go down
flyingwarden

flyingwarden

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-06-10, 15:15

A new housing estate would fit in nicely with government plans to build 3 million houses over the next decade. Think how many houses with parking for half a dozen cars would fit on the base
Back to top Go down
Chef_uk

Chef_uk

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty2009-08-04, 15:18

XT872 wrote:
The fire cover will transit from Waddo, when the reds are using the Scampton overhead.
A very reliable source tells me that they will be building a brand new hangar at Waddo for the reds, on the A15 side of the airfield. Those of you in the know will realise that a lot of the hangars at Waddo, have had, or are having, the sliding doors removed from one end of all the hangars. These are then being sealed up with new metalwork.

5 sqn's hangar was being done when I visited earlier in the year, & others were in the process.

Yup, we're feeding all the contractors every lunchtime in the JRM lol. Not heard anything about the hanger on the other side of the runway but it would make sense as its already jam packed this side. My thought though was they would have a new building on the near side but further down the runway near Harmston end as it would be easier and quicker to get too for all RA personnel via Manchester gate and turn right down a newly built road and entrance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reds Diversion Airfield Reds Diversion Airfield Empty

Back to top Go down

Reds Diversion Airfield

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: East Midlands :: RAF Scampton -