New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Michael Leek
Michael Leek

Spotter Watch Member : No

Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Vide
PostSubject: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2008-11-19, 07:58

Northern Exposure: the Royal Air Force at work in Scotland
by Berry Vissers and Mark McEwan

Foreword by Air Cdre C A Bairsto RAF
Published by Squadron Prints Ltd, 2008 (limited edition; 2,000 copies only).
160 pages; numerous colour photographs
£24.99
ISBN 978-0-9512656-2-8

Note: proceeds from the sale of this book will go to the charity RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF).

For those who, like me, were ‘brought up’ seeing the RAF training at low level in Scotland any publication which deals with this northern ‘outpost’ is to be welcomed. This very visual book does not disappoint. Let me state at the outset that this book comes highly recommended – and I’ve nothing to do with Squadron Prints Ltd! Indeed, I bought my copy, on which this review is based, at the RAF Leuchars Air Show back in September.

My only criticisms are that there’s no index (a very useful and necessary tool for researchers), and there’s little or no mention about the RAF Regiment in Scotland. However, putting these to one side the coverage in terms of what the RAF is about in Scotland, primarily through a large number of excellent photographs (full-colour throughout), is exemplary. The almost A4 landscape format allows for the photos to be reproduced at reasonable sizes, thereby maximising the obviously high resolution originals. Of particular note is the fact that post-processing of the digital photos is not evident. Colour rendition is also good, even within the limitations of off-set lithography.

Unlike other recent publications about the RAF, this book does not concentrate on the ‘glamour’ of the front liners, in this case from RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Leuchars, but includes maritime, operational training, exercises, SAR (including mountain rescue), and the gilding and university squadrons. It is therefore comprehensive (within the caveat of the RAF Regiment mentioned above). For obvious reasons there is much about GR4s and F3s, so if these are one of your preferences you won’t want to be without this book! And of course the historical signifigance of this book will be even more apparent by 2011 when F3s are unfortunately withdrawn from service.

The book is up-to-date enough to include the final days of 56(R) Squadron in its long-standing history as a premier fighter squadron, though before disbandment it was of course the OCU for the F3, a role now taken on by 43(F) Squadron. Why on earth the powers that be in the RAF and/or Whitehall decided to resurrect the squadron in a non-front line fighter role is beyond me, but then in this day-and-age tradition is sometimes sneered at (but this is probably a debate for elsewhere!).

An interesting and potentially useful historical record is the way the authors have interspersed anecdotal commentary by serving personnel. This human element enhances the text enormously.

Some of the detailed, close-up shots will be of value to modellers, particularly those who strive for accuracy in the matter of stencil markings, dirt, grime and general weathering!

So, to repeat; this book is highly recommended and well-worth the investment (besides which you’d also be supporting the premier RAF charity).

PS May be the authors might want to consider a follow-up volume concentrating on the RAF (and USAF) in Scotland during the Cold War. The appeal of such a book would be widespread, particularly if a diverse selection of low flying photographs could be brought together!
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelleek.co.uk
dconnery1966

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2009-04-18, 02:07

Yeah have to agree with you there, this book is an absolute Gem well worth the money ,and the proceeds go to the RAF Benovelent fund,the photography by Mark McMcewan and Berry Vissers is absolutely superb,what more can i say, also a big thank you to Gill Howie,so guys who like there aircraft photography this is a must buy without a doubt.
Dougie stength and honour :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.egpk.com
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2009-04-18, 07:58

Is this book still available?
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2009-04-18, 08:39

You need to contact Gill Howie (Squadron Prints). She did a promotion of this on the forum early on this year.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2009-04-18, 08:48

This should help,

http://www.squadronprints.com/
Back to top Go down
Squadron Prints

PostSubject: Happy to help with the Book! Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2009-04-18, 12:05

You can buy it through the link from Squadron Prints via paypal but this makes it a bit more expensive due to charges. If you call me at the office I can process it for you at the cover price of £24.99 plus postage! It is being done this way so that all of the money goes to the RAF Benevolent Fund.
Thanks for your interest
Gill
Back to top Go down
http://www.squadronprints.com
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty2009-04-19, 14:15

HI
I have got this book really outstanding quality the photos in it are really good well worth the money..

John..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland Empty

Back to top Go down

Northern Exposure: the RAF at work in Scotland

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Aviation Books :: Books -