New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WV396 Damaged by the high winds

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Thainoodle

Thainoodle

Spotter Watch Member : no

WV396 Damaged by the high winds Vide
PostSubject: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-18, 10:07

WV396, the RAF Valley Gate Guard Hunter seems to have suffered some damage over the weekend. The stbd drop tank had broken away and is lying next to it. Shame, looks like there is a lot of corrosion on the pylon and tank. Wonder what the future holds for her...?
Back to top Go down
F104G

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-18, 11:33

a Hawk fuselage has already been earmarked to replace the Hunter, it has stalled due to lack of funding, the damage from yesterday may just hasten that as checks made last autumn showed that the Hunter has serious corrosion problems hence the safety fencing that appeared around it in November.

When they took the old Gnat down the amount of sand that had blown in through even the smallest of cracks was unbelievable I suspect the Hunter will have its fair share inside as well.

It will be sad to see the Hunter go but the Hawk has been around for over 30 years now so it would be nice to see one go up at the gate

cheers
Dick
Back to top Go down
Thainoodle

Thainoodle

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-18, 11:39

Alright shag, any ideas what they will do with the hunter now? I know someone was interested in purchasing some time ago but probably the amount of corrosion put them off...
Back to top Go down
teeonefixer

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-18, 16:36

Actually, the main structure & mounting of the Hunter IS sound, the secondary structure & panels are just very rough. There was some concern about it at the end of last year, and a few small pieces had come off, hence the fencing that appeared. A St.Athan crew came up to look at it only recently.
There isn't a Hawk airframe allocated yet for replacement, IF it is needed (which I hope not).
Back to top Go down
Thainoodle

Thainoodle

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-18, 23:49

teeonefixer wrote:
Actually, the main structure & mounting of the Hunter IS sound, the secondary structure & panels are just very rough. There was some concern about it at the end of last year, and a few small pieces had come off, hence the fencing that appeared. A St.Athan crew came up to look at it only recently.
There isn't a Hawk airframe allocated yet for replacement, IF it is needed (which I hope not).

I had heard that they were thinking of putting a hawk on sticks, maybe even two to represent both squadrons. Probably some of the high-milers but tbh there isnt usually an abundance of servicable jets so it could well be delayed..
Back to top Go down
pricey797

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-19, 05:00

oh i dont know so much lads there enought layed up in gadon we could put a good selection up there dont you agree xx314 xx167 to a few lmao
Back to top Go down
Thainoodle

Thainoodle

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty2009-01-19, 23:47

xx230 now too Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WV396 Damaged by the high winds WV396 Damaged by the high winds Empty

Back to top Go down

WV396 Damaged by the high winds

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: Wales & South West & Home Counties :: RAF Valley / RAF Mona -