New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FC forum viewing problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you like the new layout?
Yes
FC forum viewing problem Vote_lcap45%FC forum viewing problem Vote_rcap
 45% [ 19 ]
No
FC forum viewing problem Vote_lcap48%FC forum viewing problem Vote_rcap
 48% [ 20 ]
Yes, with some tweeking (Please state in the thread).
FC forum viewing problem Vote_lcap7%FC forum viewing problem Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 42

Poll closed

HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Spotter Watch Member : No

FC forum viewing problem Vide
PostSubject: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 07:05

Until about half an hour ago, I always viewed FC as a series of expanded forums, grouped into sections. I logged in recently and the view has changed, all of the individual sections are collapsed and it is now much more difficult to see what is new - have I done something to cause this, how can I go back to the normal view.

I've posted a screen capture of the new display - Help!

If this has ben done deliberately it's not a good move, can we have the old view back please?

FC forum viewing problem FC-forum-1

Last edited by Admin on 2009-01-16, 07:59; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Poll added by Moderator.)
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

Spotter Watch Member : Yes I am!

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 07:06

Its the same for me. Is a bit confusing..especially when I'm on me laptop!! :D
Back to top Go down
http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 07:11

The layout has been changed by the FighterControl Admins, as there were a few complaints of the forum being too long due to having to many sections. The sections are now divided up into folders, so hopefully its better to view. Your comments on the new layout welcome and I will create a poll to see what the members think.

Mike

Last edited by MikeB on 2009-01-16, 09:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbrokenPhotography.co.uk
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 07:24

HighlandSniper,just click on "View posts since last visit" on the homepage to see what's new,that's all I do every time I log on.

Cheers,Mike
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 07:46

Yes, I'd found how to do that, but I prefer the traditional expanded view.
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 08:12

Highland Sniper, please use the poll. It is a wee bit difficult to please everyone at the moment, however we are trying. ;)

We receive many PM's a week offering advice as to how to improve the forum and we try to action as many people's wishes as possible.

Stay with it, we'll find a happy medium. :scratch:
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
rich

Spotter Watch Member : YES!

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 08:20

Mike,
The new folder layout is fine by me no probs, but as you can see people have differing opinions about it, let's see what a poll shows.

Rich.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 08:34

GOOSE wrote:
Highland Sniper, please use the poll. It is a wee bit difficult to please everyone at the moment, however we are trying. ;)

We receive many PM's a week offering advice as to how to improve the forum and we try to action as many people's wishes as possible.

Stay with it, we'll find a happy medium. :scratch:

I have used the poll, I voted on it almost as soon as it went up. I run a large and busy forum elsewhere, I'm well aware of how difficult it is to please everyone - nowhere does it say I wasn't allow to post a comment on this topic.
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 08:43

HighlandSniper wrote:
nowhere does it say I wasn't allow to post a comment on this topic.

And with respect Goose didnt say you werent allowed, we have asked for opinions and a decision will be made on the poll results
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 08:45

rich wrote:
Mike,
The new folder layout is fine by me no probs, but as you can see people have differing opinions about it, let's see what a poll shows.

Rich.

I quite agree Rich.

Mike
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 08:48

As you can all see, the index has been returned to normal. Lee is now working on just putting the airbases into Folders as they are the main cause of the long index page. Hopefully the new folder structure will allow you to view just the bases in a certain area and clean up the index.

Mike

Last edited by MikeB on 2009-01-16, 09:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 09:01

Thankyou - perhaps re-organising the bases may be the best idea.
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 09:33

Hopefully this should now be looking alot better.

Bit rusty on UK geography locations but it has taken me about 30 mins to put the bases in the areas as I did technically finish at 3pm today, but have stayed on.

Joys of being paid by the day Cheers

Will be looking at other sections to cut down in size as well.

Thanks to some numpty at Sky or BT, we have no Broadband connection at home, Internet light on the router has gone out, and as of last night we no line in and now just been informed that we have no line out now.

And both companies are blaming the other, however BT are coming out tomorrow and have already charged us £138 + vat and will be charging us £97 +vat per hour the engineer is there, because of this problem that has occured.

So any more changes will have to be done next week at work.
Providing I have access to the site at work.

Have a good weekend all.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
J35 Draken
Photo of the Month Runner-Up
J35 Draken

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-16, 13:26

Personally I'm not a fan. I don't mind the look of the sections being reduced to 'Airshows', 'Photography' etc. but I think the grouping of the airbases by location just makes it more confusing. There's still a list of 10 different folders left, I think the original list of airfields was better than the list of folders there are now. :D
Back to top Go down
jonesy

jonesy

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-17, 05:23

J35 Draken wrote:
Personally I'm not a fan. I don't mind the look of the sections being reduced to 'Airshows', 'Photography' etc. but I think the grouping of the airbases by location just makes it more confusing. There's still a list of 10 different folders left, I think the original list of airfields was better than the list of folders there are now. :D

I've got to agree. There's a big possability of missing posts if the new layout goes ahead as you'd have to check every region just to see if a message has been posted for a particular airbase.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angels-20.co.uk
vulcan558
vulcan558

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-17, 06:57

jonesy wrote:
J35 Draken wrote:

I've got to agree. There's a big possability of missing posts if the new layout goes ahead as you'd have to check every region just to see if a message has been posted for a particular airbase.

I suggested we have all the main current frontline very active bases in 1 section, and all the other low key bases in another this would free up a lot of the main page .

Most members would go and view the front line bases section and see the big active bases like Waddo Coningsby , Brize ,Cotts lechurs etc,

and then we would have the low key bases like Barkstone heath and chivenor etc in another.
what is everyones view on this ?.

Front line airbase section.

General airbases of the uk.

constructives comments very welcome, at the end of the day the Mods and Admins are only trying to make the site more user freindly and to enhance the site for the good of the Members
Back to top Go down
pussyfoot

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-18, 05:26

I'm confused (not for the first time) The poll question asks "Do you like the new layout?" but subsequent posts suggest that the "new" layout (index) has been returned to normal.

If I vote, will I be voting blind, for a layout I haven't seen, or will I just be voting for the "new" "UK Military Airfields" section layout?

Perhaps this poll should be deleted and a new one, with unambiguous wording of the question, created.
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-18, 09:02

At the moment there are two categories that most of our members are falling in to but have a very similar common problem.

Those that are regular posters.

And therefore are not using the link to view posts since last visit under the rotating banners to view the new posts and therefore duplicate posts are being made.

And are having to scroll through a very long index page to post in the section then are wanting to post in.

And those who are viewing.

And therefore are not using the link to view posts since last visit under the rotating banners to view the new posts and are having to scroll through a very long index page to post in the section then are wanting to post in.

Therefore since the Airfield section is very long, I have made it a bit more user friendly in terms of regions.

At the moment we are still struggling for the posting of movements. It's strange that we have some very crucial airbases to defend this country whereby there are movements of locals and visitors on a weekday and even the odd weekend.

Yet alot of people are choosing not to post their logs on FC.

Therefore this is another reason why it is now even more easier for people to post their logs.
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-18, 11:32

Totally agree with Lee,I log-in each day and just hit "View posts since last visit",everything is there and there is no need to scroll through all the different airfields etc.

My step-grand-daughter managed to pour a load of Capri-Sun orange juice all over my new laptop's key-pad yesterday,the little git is banned from visiting until I cool down.When I push a key down,it stays down-any advice ?

Sob

Mike
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-19, 07:22

Just a few words to say how much I like the new layout. The grouping of bases into geographical areas and moving them further up the board is a great idea.
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-19, 07:40

Ooooohhh...

Airing cupboard mate if you have one...,

I suggest opening the lid fully if you can and place inside a pillow case and place above the water tank.

Or

Rest it in the pillowcase on a very hot radiator to dry out for a good couple of days.

Then get some cotton buds and some compressed air and give the keys a burst.

Your very lucky it is only the keys and that it hasn't got inside the screen..... Otherwise it's an insurance job......

40612 wrote:
Totally agree with Lee,I log-in each day and just hit "View posts since last visit",everything is there and there is no need to scroll through all the different airfields etc.

My step-grand-daughter managed to pour a load of Capri-Sun orange juice all over my new laptop's key-pad yesterday,the little git is banned from visiting until I cool down.When I push a key down,it stays down-any advice ?

Sob

Mike
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-19, 08:01

It is possible to take (most) laptop keys off, if you push it upwards, and lift it'll come off. But I would try Lee's ideas first, as if your not very carefull with them the little pins on the keys can snap. They're also quite fiddley to get back on.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty2009-01-19, 08:29

It's not as bad as I thought,I hoovered most of it out as soon as it happened but the sugar in it has solidified under the space-bar which goes down OK,but takes a while to come back up.
Hopefully it'll wear off soon.
Thanks for the help guys.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FC forum viewing problem FC forum viewing problem Empty

Back to top Go down

FC forum viewing problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Technical -