New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down
burgemusic

burgemusic

Spotter Watch Member : 83

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Vide
PostSubject: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2008-12-27, 13:07

All,
Below are pics which hopefully explain how to make an effective vertical dipole useable for UHF airband without spending hardly any money.
This stuff was on the old forum and I havent been on in ages and see that its no longer available.

Hope this is of help to someone who fancies experimenting with such things...

PS If you need to buy coax/connectors I can recommend:

www.whwestlake.co.uk

very reasonable prices, and they have "everything".

best regards
Alan Burge

First get some coax (eg RG58C/U)
You want a BNC plug on one end (to fit to your scanner)
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild1
Measure about 10 inches from the end
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild2
Carefully cut round the black pvc outer - dont press too hard - you dont want to cut the silver braid.
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild3
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild4
To get the black pvc off, it may help to cut long ways too, but again, go easy here....
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild5
Peel away the outer plastic...
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild6

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild7
Now you have something like this......
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild8
Prise out a little hole in the silver braid , its quite tough stuff, youll need a screwdriver...
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild9
Then "hook through" the inner plastic covered conductor and pull it "out" of the silver braid...
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild10
..so that you have two loose ends like this......
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild11
Now we just need a rigid support to "stretch" these two ends across. The support must be non-metallic (wood/bamboo/plastic are all OK)
Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild12
Then hang your new creation somewhere by the window and try some frequencies you know.
(When you are inside a room there are always 'sweet spots' and 'dead spots' for reception- the best way to find a sweet spot is if you know an ATIS frequency - tune that in - because it is constantly transmitting its easy to move around holding the antenna until you find the best 'spot' in your room to site the antenna. But a good guess is the middle of the window will prove to be the best place.)

(If your wife comes home from shopping while youre in the middle of all this and asks what the hell your doing - hold your nerve - tell her you are now a scientist and she needs to give your genius some space.)

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild13

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild14

If you try the above and get good results you might want to refine the design a little and make the below:

Its really exactly the same antenna but this time a BNC chassis socket is used at the "middle" and two bits of copper wire used to make the two sides.

The longer these antennae are it changes the "resonant frequency" ,now there is a formula
468 / freq in MHz = dipole length [feet]
[468 divided by freq in MHz equals dipole end to end length in feet]

BUT in the real world you dont really have to get into all that I would suggest making the dipole this long for starters:

For UHF listening [230-390MHz] about 20 inches from end to end [10 inches each side]

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Simpleantennabuild15

Last edited by burgemusic on 2008-12-27, 14:06; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2008-12-27, 13:21

Alan, your thread was a huge success on the old forum so a big thank you for posting again. Can you add your formula and decriptive notes as well? Then I'll make this a sticky, it's a great resource.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Aileron

Aileron

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2009-01-27, 04:07

is it possible to permanatly hang this on the out outside of the house
Back to top Go down
scottish_scanner

scottish_scanner

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2009-01-27, 08:38

Hi there,

I use mine mounted outside - I used cat5 network cable using a similar principle and connected it to around 20ft of bamboo cane. I used waterproof tape to hold the cable in place, connected a bnc type connector to the end of the cable. Works a treat at my location in NE Scotland - I can generally hear 4 or 5 of the Scottish Military controllers which I have never been able to do using previous antennas.

Cheers

Richard
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/scottishscanner/
dervish

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2009-01-27, 10:40

Aileron wrote:
mines been made for months but just wanted whats the best way of hanging it outside (weather proof)

Enclose it in white (NOT grey or black) ABS waste pipe. Get end caps and drill one to allow passage of the coax (or a panel mount BNC). Ensure the end caps are sealed.
Back to top Go down
Aileron

Aileron

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2009-01-27, 10:59

why not gray or black?
Back to top Go down
doc steve

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2009-01-27, 17:24

metallic content in the colouring of the plastic
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty2009-01-27, 22:37

doc steve wrote:
metallic content in the colouring of the plastic

Almost....

actually the carbon content makes the tubing conductive and act like an aerial.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide Empty

Back to top Go down

Home made UHF antenna - cheap/effective - DIY guide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -