New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Re Scanners part 1 & 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down
60163tornado

Spotter Watch Member : no

Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-24, 10:28

In my previous occupation we had a number of Vehicle Breakdown Services who had scanners and were intercepting our messages and turning up at incidents/accidents. Too cut a long story short we seized the scanners and far as I remember
we used the powers under The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949 this Act has been superceeded by the 1998 & 2006 Act which give the Authorities powers for seizing of radio equipment.
I know there are a few radio experts amongst us who can point out the various pitfalls that aviation enthusiasts can fall into and perhaps they can pass on their
expertise to the forum.
Back to top Go down
Viper28

Viper28

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-24, 12:48

Before I start, I am no expert on this....

I'm assuming that your "previous occupation" was the Police, in which case, yes I believe it is technically illegal to listen into the Police (and other emergency services). That said the Police have certainly wised up and now use encypted channels, so although the scanner can technically pick it up, its garbage.

With regard to listening to general air frequencies, there is, as far as I can tell, nothing illegal about it, in fact there can't be as in a lot of cases the traffic servers to other air uses as warnings of intention etc. amd therefore is encouraged.

Not so sure about listening into Military air-2-air comms but as they are more than capable of encypting that if they wanted to, I'm guessing its not really frowned on.

More than happy to be corrected on any of the above by subject experts.
Back to top Go down
jingernut
Admin
Admin
jingernut

Spotter Watch Member : NO

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-24, 13:16

Have a read of this from Ofcom - Guidance on Receive-Only Radio Scanners
Back to top Go down
http://www.airband.info
dervish

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-26, 11:45

Viper28 wrote:
jingernut wrote:

Cheers for posting the link. Once more I fear we are at the mercy of some woolie open to interpretation British law.

I assume (always a bad move) that we (plane enthusiasts) listen to some (but not all) transmissions under "c. the weather and navigation transmissions" category but we must be walking a fine line if your at a base and hear Ops, tower, approach etc.

No, it's not 'woolie'. As a 'plane enthusiast' you ARE breaking the law by listening to any airband communications unless YOU have a licence to use those frequencies.

However, listening to civil airband generally seems to be tolerated and Ofcom have insufficient Enforcement Officers so aren't very likely to come looking for you.
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-26, 15:00

As far as i know, listing frequencies is not illegal. It is up to you whether or not you want to take the risk of monitoring them.
Back to top Go down
Viper28

Viper28

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-27, 04:47

dervish wrote:
Viper28 wrote:
jingernut wrote:

Cheers for posting the link. Once more I fear we are at the mercy of some woolie open to interpretation British law.

I assume (always a bad move) that we (plane enthusiasts) listen to some (but not all) transmissions under "c. the weather and navigation transmissions" category but we must be walking a fine line if your at a base and hear Ops, tower, approach etc.

No, it's not 'woolie'. As a 'plane enthusiast' you ARE breaking the law by listening to any airband communications unless YOU have a licence to use those frequencies.

However, listening to civil airband generally seems to be tolerated and Ofcom have insufficient Enforcement Officers so aren't very likely to come looking for you.

Sorry my use of the word "woolie" in this context was inappropriate. What I was trying to get at, and you have summed up, is not the law being woolie but the enforcement of it. It is illegal but it is (currently) tolorated but that could change at the flick of a switch so to speak if some bobby decides to push the point. The same is true of photography at a MOD base. Its is illegal (under the offical secrets act) to take pictures of the inside of the base (without permission) so if you take a picture of a landing / taxiing plane or flightline you have broken the law. Once the plane clears the fence its fair game. Again, very, very few cases of the former have ever been brought because its tolorated but technically, if plod whats to enforce it, they can.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they do tolerate such things, its just my "black and white" nature (personal trait and job induced) that hates this sort of thing being left to the individual enforcement officer to decide.
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty2008-12-27, 12:06

Thanks for the inclusions so far gents, and to Frank for submitting the thread. Also at Frank's request I've made this a sticky, hopefully to extract the best advice possible. At a latter date I may publish a do's and dont's.

If you have further comments and advice, that is ACCURATE, please PM me.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Re Scanners part 1 & 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Re Scanners part 1 & 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -