New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RAF Shawbury viewing guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down
SteveS
SteveS

Spotter Watch Member : No

RAF Shawbury viewing guide Vide
PostSubject: RAF Shawbury viewing guide RAF Shawbury viewing guide Empty2008-11-17, 14:49

This is far from a complete guide, but it covers my usual viewing areas. I’m sure some of the regulars add extra spots – please PM me and I will add them to the main guide.

RAF Shawbury viewing guide Shawbury1

I have highlighted six main points here A-F.

Points A, B and C

RAF Shawbury viewing guide PointsABC

To find point A, head north from the village of Shawbury on the B5063 towards Wem and Besford, past the old hangar site on the right, and take you first left. Head down this road, across the north of the site, until you come to a sharp right turn – there is a road here on the left, signposted as a dead end. Take this left.

Be careful on the approach down to the airfield, there are many pheasants and other animals on the road. You will come to a house on your right, with the road continuing to the left. Point A is in front of the house,
by the crash gate. There is not really a lot to be seen from point A, but it can be good sometimes for landing shots if the choppers are approaching from that direction.

If you continue on the road left (which becomes a bit rougher, I have always been able to drive down), you will arrive at Point B.

Point B is in my opinion, far the best and provides a panoramic view of the airfield, including the aprons in front of the main hangars. No real good for serials unless you have good eyes and good binoculars, but can be good for photography, as many tend to take off directly over your head.

Park the car up here (out of the way, tucked into the side), and follow the road around to point C on foot.

Point C again can be very good for take-off shots and provides a good view if runway 18 is in use for fixed wing movements.

Points D and E

RAF Shawbury viewing guide PointsDE

These two are easily accessible and are quite close to the centre of Shawbury village, and are undoubtedly the best for serials, but pretty poor for photography, as the ground undulates any you cannot easily see the helo’s as a whole.

Point D is accessed directly off the A53, directly behind a farm shop. There is a track to the rear of the farm shop alongside a field, leading to an abandoned airfield building of 1940s vintage. Some serials of a/c on the apron can be gathered from here. I believe this is private land, so please make sure you have permission
of the landowner before venturing here.

Point E is directly off the A53. You can park up on the grass verge in front of the office building here, and get passable views from a few places along the road – if you follow the road around, it passes under the threshold for runway 36. Again, this point is no good for photography, but good for serials.

Point F - Courtesy of dubmasteruk
RAF Shawbury viewing guide PointF

Point F is good if anything is parked up between the two storage hangars (13 and 14), but not great for general viewing. Accessed via the Lane which runs off the A49, I believe it is called Sandy Lane.

If anyone can add anything to this guide, please send me a PM, and I will add it to the guide.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk

RAF Shawbury viewing guide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: West Midlands :: RAF Shawbury -