New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Low-Level Lakes

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Hillwalker

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-15, 10:35

On the way to Leuchars last Friday we cut across country using the A66 pass and had a great close view of a Typhoon using the corridor. I thought I'd ask members if they'd kindly post their recommended areas for viewing low-level flying in the Lake District/Pennines/Dales areas.
Back to top Go down
Ben Montgomery
Ben Montgomery

Spotter Watch Member : No

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-15, 11:16

Try www.lowfly.net - they have the best spots helpfully marked for you. I'd guess most of the guys on here will use the same spot (Dunmail Raise is a popular one).

Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.ramaphotography.co.uk
Hillwalker

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-17, 11:23

Thanks for the reply Ben. I'd researched the Lowfly site and some others, such as www.warplane.co.uk and http://lfa17.port5.com/MAIN.htm.

I've a few days off soon and I was hoping to use them in the Lake District or the Dales/Pennines area, maybe to tie-in with the upcoming 'Bold Avenger' exercise. I was looking for some feedback from members of their first hand experiences, and if I'm really lucky, a recommended place to stay.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Dave934

Dave934

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-17, 12:48

Paul, what are you after? Lowfly and warplane have all the locations covered.
I'm not a member of warplane so can't speak on their behalf, but regarding lowfly.net, if you look in the photo section you can see what type of photo you can get from the most active locations.
Regarding staying in the Lakes.....every other house is a bed and breakfast so you'll find somewhere !!!!
I always stay at Whitecross bay in a lodge, it's expensive but you are on the shore of Lake Windermere and can watch jets from the location. Also it's just a 15 minute drive to Dunmail/Thirlmere which is the busiest valley in the Lakes.
Let me know what you are after and I'll try to help.
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-17, 13:52

Thanks for the reply Dave. As I said, I've only a few days off and I guess I'm looking for the obvious, a spot to stand the best chance of seeing aircraft. Judging by what I've read and the excellent photographs from paulh, I'm leaning towards Dunmail Raise. I'm nursing a knee injury at the moment, so it would have to be the east side. I'm not so concerned about the light in the afternoon as I'm going for the experience, not for photographs.
You're right, there's no shortage of accommodation, that's why I was asking for it to be thinned down. I've had my share of bad B&Bs in the past and wanted to avoid another.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Dave934

Dave934

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-17, 14:02

Paul....you have PM.
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty2009-09-17, 14:17

Thanks Dave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Low-Level Lakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Low-Level Lakes Low-Level Lakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Low-Level Lakes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Other Military Aviation related matter -