New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Yupiteru 7100

View previous topic View next topic Go down
scotty

Spotter Watch Member : no

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 06:47

Hi,

I have noticed that there seem to be 7100's for sale second hand on ebay on a regular basis and given that it's reckoned to be the best airband scanner of all time, what are folks buying to replace it ? Is there a new kid on the block which is destined to be the next classic, or are there just a bunch of average scanners with not much to choose between them. ?

Is the wise choice to get a used 7100 ? Any tips / advice gratefully received.
Back to top Go down
GORDO47

Spotter Watch Member : No

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 07:21

I have a 7100, it started giving trouble, if you squeeze the radio it would completely reset and you would lose all the memories.

So I bought a Uniden 3500, very complicated scanner to use. You need to link a PC to it to get the best out of it. But still great.

Since then I had the capacitor changed on the 7100 and its fine.

In my opinion its performance on airband is alot better than the 3500 that I have.

I would agreed that a second hand 7100 might be wise, but watch out for the memory loss.
Back to top Go down
scotty

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 08:31

Many thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of the memory loss problem. Certainly something to watch for if I go the 7100 route.
Cheers
Scotty.
Back to top Go down
davek

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 08:44

I sold mine as it was surplus to requirements, I treated myself to a Icom PCR1500 as it runs with my sbs box on the laptop, an all sing all dancing receiver. Dave
Back to top Go down
scotty

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 15:30

Many thanks for update Dave.
Cheers
Scotty
Back to top Go down
skymoss

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Bearcat speaker probs Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 17:24

Hi I am wondering the same thing yupiteru 7100 or Bearcat xlt 3500 since my yupi 7000 is goosed. The only thing thats putting me off the Bearcat is I heard from various sources that the speaker was dodgy and that after sales regarding this problem isnt to good. Anybody any comments about this problem. Best regards Graeme
Back to top Go down
dervish

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 18:29

skymoss wrote:
Hi I am wondering the same thing yupiteru 7100 or Bearcat xlt 3500 since my yupi 7000 is goosed. The only thing thats putting me off the Bearcat is I heard from various sources that the speaker was dodgy and that after sales regarding this problem isnt to good. Anybody any comments about this problem. Best regards Graeme

The 7100 is a better receiver than the 3500
The 3500 has far more bells and whistles

The issue with memory loss on the Yupiterus is well documented - it's easy enough to change the back-up capacitor.

Uniden seem to have had a bad batch of speakers and have used them in the 3500, 396 and several other fairly recent handheld scanners. The problem should have been sorted by now. Uniden won't directly support spares to UK individuals but alternatives are available. If a 3500 was purchased through a reputable source then they have a legal obligation (fitness for purpose) to sort out a repair on a unit that has failed due to the poor quality of a component ie. manufacturing defect within the normal 12 month guarantee.

Which is better? Fairly stupid question without some kind of qualification ;)
Back to top Go down
dervish

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-07, 18:31

davek wrote:
I sold mine as it was surplus to requirements, I treated myself to a Icom PCR1500 as it runs with my sbs box on the laptop, an all sing all dancing receiver. Dave

Not the easiest of 'handheld' setups ;)

Surely comparing an Icom PCR1500 with a handheld is comparing apples and oranges.
Back to top Go down
davek

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-08, 05:28

Dervish, my answer was to Scotty not anything to do with why I have the receiver mentioned. Dave
Back to top Go down
razor23uk

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-08, 13:24

My first scanner was my Yupi......it served me well for 3 years plus,and once you got used to it ,it was a breeze to use. It did,however,suffer from the memory loss problem on a few occasions which which was annoying,but as has been mentioned,could be fixed.
I had a bit of money spare last year,and having read all the reports on the 3500,decided to treat myself.
The reason????........it sounded like the poodles parts,had some great reviews,and I liked the sound of the p.c interface and alpha tagging.
I must confess,I am now a convert!!! Yupiteru 7100 53197 Yupiteru 7100 687308

The programming via p.c is great,alpha tagging saves a lot of cross-referencing when scanning and I have found the scan speed to be much quicker. According to the data on both,its about 3 times quicker when scanning form pre-programmed memory banks.

Its all down to personal taste I guess.
3500 for me,but I will still keep my Yupi!
Back to top Go down
scotty

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-08, 16:07

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Having heard 2 x 7100 scanners in action today at Coningsby, I am leaning towards trying to get a good used example of same. I thought that the audio quality and volume was outstanding for a handheld.

Cheers and beers
Scotty.
Back to top Go down
48thEagle

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty2009-09-09, 11:28

dervish wrote:
If a 3500 was purchased through a reputable source then they have a legal obligation (fitness for purpose) to sort out a repair on a unit that has failed due to the poor quality of a component ie. manufacturing defect within the normal 12 month guarantee.

With the normal 12 month guarantee, the buyer has a number of statutory rights.

The legal obligation surrounding fit for purpose actually lasts for longer than that, as long as 6 years, as long as it fulfils certain criteria.

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in
Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to
the cost of a repair or replacement).
• A purchaser who is a
consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can
alternatively request a repair or replacement.
• If repair and
replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek
a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a
full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit
•In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not
conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have
reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do
not last for six years).

Source: http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Yupiteru 7100 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yupiteru 7100 Yupiteru 7100 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yupiteru 7100

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -