New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RAF Gibraltar

View previous topic View next topic Go down
karlbutler

Spotter Watch Member : No

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 05:03

Hi, I am working in Gib for the next 3 weeks, does anyone know what ( if any ) military traffic flies in and out if the station. I am working nights so there is plenty of daytime viewing available ?

regards
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 05:20

Moved to the "Rest of the World" section.
Back to top Go down
Ben Montgomery
Ben Montgomery

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 06:20

I was there for a week back in April on a cadet camp, and we had NO military movements whatsoever. There is the daily flight out by EasyJet and Monarch, but after seeing that once it's boring! A very quiet airfield, you might get a few private movements.

Lots of other stuff to do though!

Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.ramaphotography.co.uk
DOUGHNUT

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 09:19

That a surprize , I always thought Gilbraltar was a busy with RAF movements, long range navex's and refuelling stops for transits further South and East.
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 09:21

DOUGHNUT wrote:
That a surprize , I always thought Gilbraltar was a busy with RAF movements, long range navex's and refuelling stops for transits further South and East.

Not these days ! Sad
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 10:21

A bit different from the 60s, 70s etc where Gib was a hive of activity.
Now, the only RAF movements you'll see are the FRADU Hawks and Falcon20s occasionally (just a few times per year) and the occasional Tornado visit via France.

Anything going east goes via Italy and Cyprus.

Of course, helicopters and aircraft enroute to Morocco for the exercises will use Gib i should imagine but not alot apart from those. Maybe a few RN Helicopters from time to time when a ship is off the coast.

If i went to Gibraltar, i would go across the border into Spain and have a day near Moron or Rota (however not sure what they are like with enthusiasts).
Rota isn't very far from Gibraltar and is packed with USN aircraft, USAF aircraft (ones that dont go to Moron) and of course Spanish AV8B's etc.
Plus at the Rota port, usually find a US Helo Carrier (Wasp or Tarawa class etc) and other aircraft carrying ships.
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 10:46

You could always keep your eye out for the local airline "Gib Air" which , when I was last there,(Circa 1981) Had had the extra letters added to the front 'Yo' by some wag. (So that it read YO GIB AIR, or Yogi Bear!!!)
God life must have been boring there !!!
Back to top Go down
headset 57

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty2009-09-07, 12:01

Beefsteak wrote:
You could always keep your eye out for the local airline "Gib Air" which , when I was last there,(Circa 1981) Had had the extra letters added to the front 'Yo' by some wag. (So that it read YO GIB AIR, or Yogi Bear!!!)
God life must have been boring there !!!

Gib Air flies no more. It got taken over by BA,and then the fleet went to Easy Jet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RAF Gibraltar Vide
PostSubject: Re: RAF Gibraltar RAF Gibraltar Empty

Back to top Go down

RAF Gibraltar

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Rest of the World :: Rest of the World -