New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire

View previous topic View next topic Go down
chrisward123

chrisward123

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Vide
PostSubject: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-02, 05:04

Hi,

After driving past a few times I noticed a helicopter parked up next to the Lightning on the Kirkham Bypass behind the Texaco garage.
I didn't have my SLR on me but had my phone which has a decent camera so just took a few pictures for anyone interested.

I also saw a Smart car with Huey.co.uk all over it, is this were they are located as I thought they were located at Blackpool Airport?

XT469
Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire DSC03771

Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire DSC03770

Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire DSC03769-1

Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire DSC03768

Smile
Back to top Go down
Trembler111

Trembler111

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-02, 14:39

Nice find mate!!

Jamie
Back to top Go down
ringo747

ringo747

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-02, 15:05

Very nice. I love those things!
Back to top Go down
Jenky

Jenky

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-02, 16:23

I believe the guy that flys the Huey drives the smartcar.
Currently the Huey is based at Wesham.
Back to top Go down
PDG 005

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 00:37

Great find I loved the Wessex and miss it flying around Ben Nevis. I was very lucky to have flown in quite a few of them during my time both in the A.T.C. and Mountain Rescue
Back to top Go down
chrisward123

chrisward123

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 02:30

Never actually seen one fly! I joined the ATC as they were just been withdrawn from service.

I hope both the Lightning and Wessex both get fully restored or even be put back in the air Big Grin
Back to top Go down
smudger773

smudger773

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 04:56

Good and bad memories of these things in Bessbrook mill and south armagh a few years back, Nice to see it !!

Good find
Back to top Go down
PDG 005

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 06:12

I flew, as I said in a few Wessex mainly HAR-2. The last one I was lucky enough to fly in, an HC-2 can be located in this site http://www.demobbed.org.uk/ XT728 (A). It was in my home town for a long weekend working with Channel 4. They made a documentry about the Lochaber Mountain Rescue team It was from Aldergrove.
Sad to see some of them now though Sad

Doug
Back to top Go down
chrisward123

chrisward123

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 06:16

Thanks for the reply Smile Yes very sad seeing them now
Back to top Go down
JG71
Admin
Admin
JG71

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 08:23

XT469 Used to sit outside my office at RAF Stafford.

The last flying one has just retired in Uraquay,which is ex RAF.There are two fine examples of the HC2.One at RAF Cosford and the other at Newark Air Museum.

I have many hours flying in the old horse.A helicopter which i think rates as one of the best in the world.

Jim
Back to top Go down
http://www.j79photography.webs.com
60163tornado

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-03, 13:44

A couple of days ago I was shown a photo of the Huey and parked next to it was Phils latest acquistion an EX US Special Forces Loach Helicoper is the civvy name a Hughes 500 im not up
on helos, the two helos looked to be parked in a large warehouse Im not sure of its location.

Edit 5.9.09. The Hangar is the brown metal shed directly behind the Lightning & Wessex.on the
Garage site on the main A583 Blackpool Road 100 yards west of the Bell & Bottle Inn.

Last edited by 60163tornado on 2009-09-05, 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chrisward123

chrisward123

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-04, 01:36

Would be good to find out exactly were that warehouse is! Smile
So what has he got now. Obviously a Huey, a Cobra and now a Loach (Hughes 500) and maybe he owns the Wessex aswell.

Not Bad!

Christian
Back to top Go down
sojo44

sojo44

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-04, 13:53

well well well its small world Whistle
spent a many few hours looking around Stafford try to see the old Wessex with no success
its not very often i got the old serial book out not logged a number for the best part of 11 years
and low and behold Wow
may come out of retirement to have look at this Whistle Opps
Back to top Go down
http://www.n097.co.uk
Apache123

Spotter Watch Member : yes

PostSubject: Re: Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire Empty2009-09-04, 13:55

Nice to see pics of the wessex, drove past afew times but its always bin locked up.

Regards

Rick
Back to top Go down

Wessex in Kirkham, Lancashire

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Recent Photos -