New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

car mount scanner antenna.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
chrissytd5

Spotter Watch Member : no

car mount scanner antenna. Vide
PostSubject: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 04:09

Hi, I have been looking at getting a car mount antenna for my MVT-7100. Would it make that much diffrence as i read that the telescopic one on the scanner is supposed to be good anyway. would i be better putting the money towards a antenna for home?
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 05:31

Definitely worth buying a mag mount aerial for the car roof, coupled with one of those cassette gizmos to play through the car speakers - luxury!
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 05:42

Hillwalker wrote:
Definitely worth buying a mag mount aerial for the car roof, coupled with one of those cassette gizmos to play through the car speakers - luxury!

Agreed, you can crank up the volume as well!!!!! Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
dervish

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 08:15

chrissytd5 wrote:
Hi, I have been looking at getting a car mount antenna for my MVT-7100. Would it make that much diffrence as i read that the telescopic one on the scanner is supposed to be good anyway. would i be better putting the money towards a antenna for home?

How much difference is not quantifiable without exact information. Sticking the telescopic outside the car will result in better reception....using an extension coax with a BNC magmout on the car roof and your current telescopic is likely to be as good as a dedicated 'airband' magmount.

Aerials don't generally work well inside metal boxes!
Back to top Go down
claydon_dan

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 11:57

Depending on what ranges you're intersted in receiving, you might like to take look at this one which covers 25-2000MHz:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29733

I have one myself, and it works fantastic indoors or on the car!!
Back to top Go down
Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 13:16

Hi
I would endorse Claydon_dan. I bought mine from Maplin & it works well.
Regards

Bill
Back to top Go down
chrissytd5

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 13:30

i have had a go at making a antenna today with not much success Whistle . The one from maplins will kill two birds with one stone. Might get it next weekend.
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-16, 15:31

What went wrong with your home made one? What sort of design were you using? Are there any shops selling taxi/pmr kit in Jug? Probably find a cheaper PMR magmount than the pincushion from Maplin...and it will look better/perform better than the pincushion on your car.
Back to top Go down
stu5748

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-17, 14:47

claydon_dan wrote:
Depending on what ranges you're intersted in receiving, you might like to take look at this one which covers 25-2000MHz:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29733

I have one myself, and it works fantastic indoors or on the car!!

Hi - first post on this forum but just wanted to say I bought this aerial on Saturday and tried it out tonight for the first time. It really is fantastic and I got a massively improved reception on my Bearcat.

Stu
Back to top Go down
chrissytd5

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-17, 16:41

sounds like a bargain, thanks for the info. The aerial i made was like the one in the 'sticky section above. Just some split coax and a pole. In all fairness it did work ok but the standard aerial was slightly better. I dont know if the cable has to be a perticular type. (i just bought the cheapest Unsure/Confused )
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty2009-08-17, 16:59

chrissytd5 wrote:
sounds like a bargain, thanks for the info. The aerial i made was like the one in the 'sticky section above. Just some split coax and a pole. In all fairness it did work ok but the standard aerial was slightly better. I dont know if the cable has to be a perticular type. (i just bought the cheapest Unsure/Confused )

In terms of the aerial part the type of coax doesn't really matter too much...in terms of the part between the aerial and the scanner then it does make a difference. If the run is fairly short then something like URM67 will do...if it's long then a lower loss coax is desirable.

The bulletin board has a search function.....try using it ;)
Threads such as http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/scanners-f9/which-cable-to-buy-t8917.htm have useful info
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: car mount scanner antenna. car mount scanner antenna. Empty

Back to top Go down

car mount scanner antenna.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -