New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens

View previous topic View next topic Go down
alfa156

alfa156

Spotter Watch Member : No

suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Vide
PostSubject: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 09:43

hi all,now im back working again, i want to save for a good canon lens.
currently im using a sigma 70-300mm its a good lens BUT I think I would like to go back to a canon lens i,e for wildlife and planes.
I've been looking at canon 100-400mm, sounds like a good lens only thing is i dont know about the push pull, plus reviews vary on this lens.
Another is the canon 70-200mm with a 1.4 converter,again from reviews this is a really good lens with sharp images.
I would like people to post up how there getting on with primes, maybe that would be a road to go down im not sure.
Back to top Go down
The Cameraman

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 09:58

Hi Alfa,

Prime's are always a good choice, subject to you having deep enough pockets. In the mean time I'll be sticking with my 100-400.

Regards

Reggie
Back to top Go down
alfa156

alfa156

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 10:01

how you getting on with the 100-400mm mate?
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 10:35

Paul ive been looking through my photobucket account, and these were the first shots I took with the 100-400mm at the footpath around Brize:

suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens East4

suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens East10

And one from Fairford on DaveM's 100-400mm

suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Tuenight11

I know you've pretty much got your heart set on the Canon 100-400mm anyway Laughing

Last edited by pikey01 on 2009-08-09, 10:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 10:39

Canon EF100-400mm all the way - I've had mine since May 2001 and love it.

The Sigma 50-500mm is also nice, but I'm put off by the lack of image stabilisation - I have used one and in ideal conditions it's good, but I wouldn't swap.
Back to top Go down
galaxy100

galaxy100

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 12:57

Alfa156

I have a Canon 55-250mm IS lens and i think its fantastic... i thought that it would be to short for using it at airshows etc and i was completely wrong... used it at places like RAF Coningsby and ive also had amazing results!!

I'd say go for it but i can't compare it to the guys saying get the 100-400mm as i haven't had the privilage of using one, but dependant on budget etc, i'd go for the 55-250mm IS and you wouldn't be dissapointed!!

HTH

Ant
Back to top Go down
Dave934

Dave934

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 13:54

Another vote for the 100-400
I've had mine for years and it was the best money I've ever spent.
Get it mate.
Dave.
Back to top Go down
The Cameraman

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-09, 14:51

Hi Alfa,

I bought mine when they were first released and it was one of my better decisions. Very happy with it and it's survived my abuse very well!
Back to top Go down
evatt_6019

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-10, 10:21

What you will find with this lens, people either love it or hate it. I personally love this lens, had it for 4 years now and always get good results.

You just have to look around at what the other photographers are using at air shows, quite a few of them use this lens aswell
Back to top Go down
vulcan558
vulcan558

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-10, 11:39

Canon 70-200 is a cracking lens But you will need the F2.8 if you want to use a 2x convertor.Had this combo and very impressed with the results. a very good alrounder is the Sigma 50-500. and as said above the Canon 100-400.thou i always found the range a bit at the 100mm to be to much for a allrounder.

pic below with my old 70-200 f2.8L and convertor.
suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens 04
Back to top Go down
alfa156

alfa156

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty2009-08-10, 12:22

Razz cheers guys thats made my mind up 100-400mm is down my road nice pics graham Cheers
i do like the 70-200mm the writeup on that is sweet,but 100-400mm would do me better for what i need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens Empty

Back to top Go down

suggestions for a good all rounder canon lens

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Photography Discussion -