New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

antennas [slightly off topic]

View previous topic View next topic Go down
mike.p

mike.p

Spotter Watch Member : no

antennas [slightly off topic] Vide
PostSubject: antennas [slightly off topic] antennas [slightly off topic] Empty2009-08-04, 12:32

Hi al
on another site there were some referances to a racal RA-978 antenna.The jist of the e-mails I saw was that it improved reception dramaticaly. My question is did any one get the address and price of this antenna?
I had computer trouble at the time and ended up with about 300 e-mails and must have deleated the relevant e-mail.
mike.p
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: antennas [slightly off topic] antennas [slightly off topic] Empty2009-08-04, 12:40

Hi Mike,have moved this to the "Scanners" section,hope you don't mind.
Back to top Go down
bolty

bolty

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: antennas [slightly off topic] antennas [slightly off topic] Empty2009-08-04, 13:59

mike.p wrote:
Hi al
on another site there were some referances to a racal RA-978 antenna.The jist of the e-mails I saw was that it improved reception dramaticaly. My question is did any one get the address and price of this antenna?
I had computer trouble at the time and ended up with about 300 e-mails and must have deleated the relevant e-mail.
mike.p

Here is the email

Quote :

Managed to buy (£100) a Racal RA 978 antenna and had it installed
yesterday.

Now got fantastic reception on Mil Airband.I am in Droitwich and can receive
Lyneham ATIS!

If you ever see one available on a military surplus site , I recommend you
grab it.

Have a look here on the Racal site.

http://www.racalantennas.com/products/ground/omnidirectional/uhf/ground-to-air-monopole-225-400mhz.aspx

Email from Alan Smith from MilScanners

HTH Gary Smile
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: antennas [slightly off topic] antennas [slightly off topic] Empty2009-08-04, 15:05

Such e-mails are meaningless without reference to what he was using before. A rusty nail versus the RA-978? A wideband birdscarer versus the RA-978? Or a 'high' gain dedicated UHF airband aerial? Same coax and connectors?

The RA-978 is a small, robust low-gain aerial that works well on transmit as well as receive.

I love the smell of burning snake-oil when there's no Jet-A available.
Back to top Go down
2BSURE

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: antennas [slightly off topic] antennas [slightly off topic] Empty2009-08-05, 03:11

In fact it has zero gain and some attenuation of certain frequencies within its coverage which is true of any 1/4 whip or discone antenna.
In short, an adequate rugged wideband uhf mil transmit antenna that costs a lot of dough when cheaper alternatives exist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: antennas [slightly off topic] antennas [slightly off topic] Empty

Back to top Go down

antennas [slightly off topic]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -