New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

which scanner

View previous topic View next topic Go down
parkrage

Spotter Watch Member : no

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-30, 17:24

hi all, i have an alinco dj-x3 and the reception on it is very weak, even when im on the fence line of bases. i'm looking at getting a scanner that can receive military air band, any ideas on what i should get? i was looking at the GRE PSR-295 if thats any good. all help very much appreciated
Back to top Go down
jingernut
Admin
Admin
jingernut

Spotter Watch Member : NO

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-30, 17:30

I take it you are after a hand held? Personally, I would go for a Uniden 3500XLT. Plenty of people on the forum here use one. Covers all you would need and programmable through the PC with some free software and a lead (that you would need to purchase).

Edit: looking at the spec of the Alinco you have, you should have no problem receiving civil and mil comms with it. Never used one myself so have no idea what the antenna is like on it, maybe someone else has one and can give some ideas. No idea buying a new scanner if the one you have covers it.

You have the right frequencies programmed in? And in the right mode i.e. AM not FM for the airband freqs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.airband.info
dervish

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-31, 03:32

DJ-X3 is fine for milair...not the easiest scanner to program though. Audio quality is generally ok on them (certainly as good as any modern Uniden I've used). More discrete than the 3500 and without the bulky belt clip attachment.

As jingernut suggests - check you are using the correct mode and step size for milair.
Back to top Go down
Wave scanner

Wave scanner

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-31, 08:51

Also try a different antenna before you give up on it, if it's anything like the flexible antenna that came with my Dj-x2000 it's only fit for the dustbin Big Grin .
Back to top Go down
The Bossman

The Bossman

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-31, 11:38

The Alinco does have a feeble antenna but I have found mine to work just fine with an old rubber duck, you do need to get and adapter to fit. I also have a GRE 295 which I think is superb value for money. Again the supplied rubber duck is just about OK. I use with mine with a mini mag mount from Maplins (£15.00)for use in the car and If you are out the car, take the antenna with you, it works just fine. It is a great improvement with the little Alinco as well.
Programming a 295 can be laborious but it gets quicker once you get on a roll. Nice to be able to enter tags with the frequencies on a scanner so cheap. I don't think you would be disappointed with a GRE 295. A cheap CB external speaker for about £6.00 on Ebay would also be helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deansphoto.co.uk
parkrage

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-31, 11:40

Cheers guys for all the help, i went out and bought a telescopic aerial and cleared all the memory banks and started again. your right about aerial its now in the bin where it belongs. With new aerial and re-programming we are up and running and all happy again.
Back to top Go down
The Bossman

The Bossman

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-31, 11:43

Hey, we are all experts and yet we are still learning, that's the what is so good about this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deansphoto.co.uk
parkrage

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-07-31, 17:21

every day is a school day!
Back to top Go down
jingernut
Admin
Admin
jingernut

Spotter Watch Member : NO

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-08-01, 04:01

parkrage wrote:
Cheers guys for all the help, i went out and bought a telescopic aerial and cleared all the memory banks and started again. your right about aerial its now in the bin where it belongs. With new aerial and re-programming we are up and running and all happy again.

Excellent. Saved yourself buying a new scanner!
Back to top Go down
http://www.airband.info
Wave scanner

Wave scanner

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty2009-08-03, 10:53

Glad we could have been of help to you. Thumbs Up
I noticed the difference with my Alinco by attaching the telescopic antenna that came with my Uniden 785xlt
at cosford I could clearly recieve Shawbury Radar roughly 19 miles away. At fairford this year with the std DJ-x2000 antenna I couldn't pick up Brize radar at all, & could barely pick up the a/c less than a mile away lining up Whistle
wether it is tuned for a strange freq I dont know? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

which scanner Vide
PostSubject: Re: which scanner which scanner Empty

Back to top Go down

which scanner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -