New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rain cover for photo gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
awacsfan

awacsfan

Spotter Watch Member : No

Rain cover for photo gear Vide
PostSubject: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-21, 15:33

I was wondering if anybody on the forum has ever bought and/or used something like this shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Camouflage-camo-Rain-Cover-Sigma-50-500mm-170-500mm_W0QQitemZ260438917583QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item3ca35e81cf&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1229|293%3A1|294%3A50#ebayphotohosting

Would be nice to find out if something like this works for us aviation photographers.

Let's hear from you

Cheers

Andy

PS: I'm not realted to the seller and don't get any percentage of any sales. I usually frown on posting ebay links but haven't found anything like this elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-21, 16:01

Never used that kind of rain cover, but DaveM works for a company who sale OpTech Rain Sleeves (Image Link). A few of us on here use them and they're great!
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbrokenPhotography.co.uk
awacsfan

awacsfan

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-21, 22:29

Thanks for th fast reply - I'll get in touch with DaveM after my vacation to find out more about those rain sleeves. And next time I'll try to shorten the linka bit just like you did in your reply. Thanks again,
cheers
Andy
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-22, 06:18

Optech ones are far better.

Mine have lasted 3 years so far.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
Reverand
Reverand

Spotter Watch Member : yes

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-22, 06:35

Street Hawk wrote:
Optech ones are far better.

Mine have lasted 3 years so far.

And he hasn't taken them off his camera in all that time... Even in the warmer climates he has visited Whistle

Rgds Stu
Back to top Go down
http://www.lightning11.com
vulcan558
vulcan558

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-22, 08:12

I have seen people use the sleeve from one of those water proof camo ponchos .
can be bought very cheap at those ex army surpus stalls.and you get a Bog off in the price .
Back to top Go down
Mattyjc

Mattyjc

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-22, 08:35

Bought a sleeve for my camera from my local shop, 2 for £10, they have a precut hole for the eyepiece to slot over and a drawstring which fits on the body of your lens.
Worked very well on Friday at Fairford, the only thing that annoyed me with it was the way the light was altered onto the screen, made it flash between day mode and night mode.
Apart from that I had no complaints and worked well
Back to top Go down
awacsfan

awacsfan

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-22, 10:14

Thanks for the feedback and information - quite interesting and I appreciate your replies. Looks like I'll be in the market for an Optech set once I get back from my vacation.
Thanks again everybody,
cheers

Andy
Back to top Go down
The Bossman

The Bossman

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-22, 16:51

It is prudent for all digital users to have a storm jacket for their gear. Your camera, depending on what you use, is not,despite claims from the makers, waterproof. You would not use your laptop in the rain so don,t try it with your camera. How do the news guys manage at football matches then?, Easy when their cameras fail, they ask the news editor for another one, simple, we have to buy ours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deansphoto.co.uk
TEEJ

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-26, 06:35

Another vote for the OpTech Rain Sleeves. A really great product!

A good tip on the ex-military surplus gear from Vulcan558 and well worth having a look through the surplus stalls at air shows. Military rucksack liners are great as they have the draw cord at the top. Some of the professional rain sleeves can be expensive but with a bit of imagination a good cheap alternative can be made.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-26, 06:48

I know someone who does extreme weather photography (Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Thunderstorms, etc) for TV documentaries (including his own on Discovery etc) and has an Olympus E3 DSLR.
I believe Olympus challenged him to take that particular camera to the extreme and that is what he has done.

So far, with the same camera body and lenses, he has taken it to the Arctic circle in very (very) cold conditions and in the snow obviously to catch stunning Aurora photos, has chased Hurricanes with consistant torrential downpours, Tornadoes, High precipitation thunderstorms and so on. And so far, without using a rain cover, the Olympus E3 is still working fine.
So to an extent, some cameras are indeed weather proof and resistant to water.
He will not use a Canon or Nikon because they won't live up to the photography he needs them for and seems to be staying with the E3.
Back to top Go down
352SOG

352SOG

Spotter Watch Member : nope

PostSubject: Re: Rain cover for photo gear Rain cover for photo gear Empty2009-07-26, 06:50

The Bossman wrote:
It is prudent for all digital users to have a storm jacket for their gear. Your camera, depending on what you use, is not,despite claims from the makers, waterproof. You would not use your laptop in the rain so don,t try it with your camera. How do the news guys manage at football matches then?, Easy when their cameras fail, they ask the news editor for another one, simple, we have to buy ours.

not quite the same but have you seen this?