New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  RegisterRegister  Log in  

police helicopters

View previous topic View next topic Go down
jamesascot

jamesascot

Spotter Watch Member : no

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 10:49

hi everyone

i know its a long shot but i have heard it is possible to listen to police helicopter comms by monotoring the intercom frequency e.g you can apparently monitor rescue 177's intercom on 449.5375

any ideas on the intercom frequency for the metropolitan police helicopters in london?
i guess it will be in the 440-460 band

any ideas or comments welcome

james

Last edited by jamesascot on 2009-07-24, 13:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 10:51

jamesascot wrote:
hi everyone

i know its a long shot but i have heard it is possible to listen to police helicopter comms by monotoring the intercom freqeucny e.g you can parently monitor rescue 177's intercom on 449.5375

any ideas on the intercom frequency for the metropolitan police helicopters in london?
i guess it will be in the 440-460 band

any ideas or comments welcome

james

The police will work with local ATC. But to talk with the police officers on the ground and the control room they will use the same Tetra Radio Frequencies that normal police officers radios will. So, you won't be able to monitor A2G comms as they are encrypted with Tetra.

Mike
jamesascot

jamesascot

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 10:56

hi mike and tnks for the reply

i know what your saying but apparently u can a ctually monitor the intercom inside the helicopter

you can definately do it with sar helicopters

e.g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXlYdTS2aOo
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 11:06

jamesascot wrote:
hi mike and tnks for the reply

i know what your saying but apparently u can a ctually monitor the intercom inside the helicopter

you can definately do it with sar helicopters

e.g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXlYdTS2aOo

Surely the crew intercom system on a police helicopter would be wired not wireless?

I could understand the SAR intercom being wireless for obvious reasons.

Mike
jamesascot

jamesascot

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 11:09

i'm not sure as a couple of days ago on traffic cops the helicopter landed and the rear observer got out and went to talk to the ground officers, the helicopter took off again and the pilot had a convorsation with the rear observer while he was on the ground !!
Back to top Go down
Trenchard

Trenchard

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 11:27

jamesascot wrote:
and the pilot had a convorsation with the rear observer while he was on the ground !!

Quite so because he would have taken a standard Tetra hand held radio with him
Back to top Go down
REDS

REDS

Spotter Watch Member : No

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 11:59

I am sure this is all Illegal I checked it out on some government website a while back before I brought myself an airband radio

I mean if we can it is a total disaster, imagine criminals armed with Airband radios. We'd never be able to catch Criminals
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 12:16

REDS wrote:
I am sure this is all Illegal I checked it out on some government website a while back before I brought myself an airband radio

It is illegal, but technically so is listening to aircraft (on frequencies you are not licensed to listen to).

REDS wrote:
I mean if we can it is a total disaster, imagine criminals armed with Airband radios. We'd never be able to catch Criminals

Welcome to the days before Tetra!

Mike
mish65

mish65

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 12:38

Funny isn't it how the things they make illegal only punish the law abiding. The criminals using these scanners don't give a monkeys anyway. When you have just done a bank raid you're not going to do more time because you had a radio. Laughing
Back to top Go down
REDS

REDS

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 12:54

mish65 wrote:
Funny isn't it how the things they make illegal only punish the law abiding. The criminals using these scanners don't give a monkeys anyway. When you have just done a bank raid you're not going to do more time because you had a radio. Laughing

Clap Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
headset 57

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-21, 15:01

Met ASU now use Airwave. Radio at Lippets (IL ) use 130.475 and 138.1
Back to top Go down
WAP

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-22, 08:47

Police Helicopters do use TETRA for air to ground so theres no chance of listening. There is a back up of the old vhf/uhf system and they have the ability to talk with all forms of Emergancy services so are equiped with other radios but only use them when needed. Did some work with their air to ground Video link a while back but it has no audio so no point trying to listen plus pictures are all encrypted.

For ATC in london they use the respective radar services (London VFR,City Radar,Thames). They have a mapping system that only they and the controller have so unless they state were exactly they are going you dont have much chance of knowing as they have free range and dont stick to the London Heli routes.
Back to top Go down
old_git

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-24, 01:09

James, you are correct.

Some of the police and Helimeds do use wireless intercoms onboard and you can pick them up as you correctly say with Rescue 177.

they are around the 446 Mhz area as you suggest.

The only problem is they are low power and you need to be within about 1 to 2 km to get them.

The Helimeds use them more as it is more often that the paramedics get out but still need to comunicate with the aircraft.

they are purely for inter crew comms.

and there are a few rumours about that the flying cops are not happy with TETRA due to it being cellular based with the same issues mobile phones have in the air.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
Tradford

Tradford

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-24, 04:09

I was watching one of these police programs the other day, and the helicopter crew were following someone who had legged it from a stolen car. The patrols on the ground walked straight past the bloke because the helicopter crew couldnt get any signal on their radios to contact the guys on the ground. Eventually they went down as low as they could and shined the spotlight thing on the guy until the police on the ground figured out what the heli was doing and nabbed the bloke.

So yeah, dodgy reception on Tetra in some areas sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-26, 07:03

old_git wrote:
James, you are correct.

Some of the police and Helimeds do use wireless intercoms onboard and you can pick them up as you correctly say with Rescue 177.

they are around the 446 Mhz area as you suggest.

The only problem is they are low power and you need to be within about 1 to 2 km to get them.

The Helimeds use them more as it is more often that the paramedics get out but still need to comunicate with the aircraft.

they are purely for inter crew comms.

and there are a few rumours about that the flying cops are not happy with TETRA due to it being cellular based with the same issues mobile phones have in the air.

Geoff

All helicopters which have crew members which need to be winched or actually leave the aircraft have the intercom facility (Polycon).
Police, Coast Guard, RAF/RN Seakings, RAF (ex Danish) Merlins (because they are ex SAR) and so on.

With TETRA i believe they also have problems because you need log on and off as well? Not sure. I was told by a firearms officer but i can't remember because i was a bit intoxicated. Opps
Back to top Go down
jamesascot

jamesascot

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty2009-07-26, 08:09

razor61

is this the system??

http://www.headsetservices.com/productdatasheets/polycon_system.pdf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

police helicopters Vide
PostSubject: Re: police helicopters police helicopters Empty

Back to top Go down

police helicopters

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: FC Community :: Non-Aviation Chat -