New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diamond D-777 vs Discone

View previous topic View next topic Go down
jwmachon

Spotter Watch Member : no

Diamond D-777 vs Discone Vide
PostSubject: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-16, 04:21

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing one of the above aerials for my roof.

I mainly listen to VHF Air and UHF Air, however i also listen to PMR 446 and also 27Mhz CB however not that much.

How much of a difference will the diamond aerial perform compared to the same signal received on a discone.

Many Thanks in advance for replies.

Jonny
Back to top Go down
ringo747

ringo747

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-16, 05:21

Diamond 777 is a great antenna. I use it here and it performs very well on the airbands. It is ok for other bands but more suited for airbands. If you want a general antenna for all bands then try the discone but for airbands you want the 777. Would definitely recommend it.
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-16, 09:43

Neither aerial will be much use for chicken box stuff though a 'discone' that has a vertical element will do better than the Diamond 'airband' aerial. For PMR446 the 'discone' will again likely be slightly better.
For airband the dedicated 'airband' aerial will vastly out-perform the spikey bird-perch
Back to top Go down
jwmachon

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-23, 00:52

How would these compare to a 2m/70cm compare cos somebody as mentioned that hese would compare better

Any comments anybody

Thanks in advance

Jonny
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-23, 01:01

jwmachon wrote:
How would these compare to a 2m/70cm compare cos somebody as mentioned that hese would compare better

Any comments anybody

Thanks in advance

Jonny

An amateur 2m/70cm colinear aerial will be pretty much the same design as the Diamond. Why would it be better than a similar aerial supposedly designed for airband? Anyway, same design and the same limitations regarding listening to foul language.
Back to top Go down
jwmachon

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-23, 01:06

lol, ok thanks for that so i should still stick between the d-777 and the discone then what are the best discones available that ppl tend to use
Back to top Go down
dervish

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-23, 02:38

jwmachon wrote:
lol, ok thanks for that so i should still stick between the d-777 and the discone then what are the best discones available that ppl tend to use

The main differences between the 'discones' you'll see advertised are whether they have a vertical element to improve the lower freq coverage and the actual quality of the construction.

Better qaulity ones will have more elements in the cone (remember, it's meant to be a solid cone in theory), they'll use stainless steel for durability, they'll use an 'N-type' connector not a SO-239.

You'll pay for quality but that gives longevity and probable performance benefits.

We all know the phrase "you get what you pay for" and it is generally true (though everyone believes you pay extra for a 'name')

Note: as we now have a rule about using reasonable English the use of shorthand such as "ppl" should be avoided on here.
Back to top Go down
jwmachon

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty2009-07-23, 03:03

Im looking at sub £80 for aerial only exc cable and post what one would be the best

Thanks,

Jonny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diamond D-777 vs Discone Diamond D-777 vs Discone Empty

Back to top Go down

Diamond D-777 vs Discone

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Military Airband :: Scanners -