New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Waddington show has their say....

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
pikey01
pikey01

Waddington show has their say.... Vide
PostSubject: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 06:24

As mentioned in another thread, the Waddo Airshow team have tried to answer some of the critics in a report here:

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2009/waddington2009.php

I realise this is quite a sensitive issue with some posters , but I'd be interested in FC members opinions. Please keep it as a discussion not personal abuse/insults though Wink
Back to top Go down
garethbrum

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 06:30

Thanks Pikey

Can I just add that I have also discussed the possibility of holding an open forum with the organisers later this year.

We would liase with the mods and invite a number of people to meet the airshow team and ask them their own questions about the event. This idea has already been given a thumbs-up by the team at Waddo - it's just a question of when, but probably not until the end of the airshow season.

Watch this space.............

Thanks

Gareth
Back to top Go down
urkles

urkles

Spotter Watch Member : yes

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 06:47

A very interesting article though slightly biased it must be said! It seems in a roundabout way they admit they let the enthisiasts down this year and will improve next year. I would like to point out in my mind the hard working ethic and dilligence of the organisers has never been in question, just about how they approached things and it seems they jave learned from that.

But the person who wrote the article seemed very biased in his writing, making comments about the visiting aircraft and making the impression this was happening all the time when lets be honest, foreign participation was not the best and what did come was not of the best quality. Also I was a bit sickened by his reasoning behind the Tornado F3 not being there, blaming the tragic loss before the show, when in fact the F3 was never due to come. To bring up this accident as a reason is just plain wrong and a bit sick. I apologise for these remarks if I have been mis-informed and the F3 was due to appear.

Another statement on the RAF support reported in the article, Koksijde attracted double the amount of Tornadoes and Tucanos from the RAF as did Waddington, anyone like to explain?

I would like to thank the organisers for the statements made and their efforts, as I have said before, I think they work very hard and deserve credit wheres it due.

Mark
Back to top Go down
garethbrum

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 06:55

urkles wrote:
A very interesting article though slightly biased it must be said! It seems in a roundabout way they admit they let the enthisiasts down this year and will improve next year. I would like to point out in my mind the hard working ethic and dilligence of the organisers has never been in question, just about how they approached things and it seems they jave learned from that.

But the person who wrote the article seemed very biased in his writing, making comments about the visiting aircraft and making the impression this was happening all the time when lets be honest, foreign participation was not the best and what did come was not of the best quality. Also I was a bit sickened by his reasoning behind the Tornado F3 not being there, blaming the tragic loss before the show, when in fact the F3 was never due to come. To bring up this accident as a reason is just plain wrong and a bit sick. I apologise for these remarks if I have been mis-informed and the F3 was due to appear.

Another statement on the RAF support reported in the article, Koksijde attracted double the amount of Tornadoes and Tucanos from the RAF as did Waddington, anyone like to explain?

I would like to thank the organisers for the statements made and their efforts, as I have said before, I think they work very hard and deserve credit wheres it due.

Mark

Hi Mark

It was me!

Thanks for your comments though, much appreciated.

I don't feel it is an especially biased piece - more an opportunity for the organisers to have a proper say in the face of much comment on the forums, here and elsewhere.

The F-3 was indeed down to appear and the fact that it didn't was of course completely understandable.

One thing to remember about Koksijde is that it is one of the only major shows in Belgium (the only one?) so for us to send a few aircraft is balanced with the amount of support they give our many shows throughout the UK season.

It's a sad fact that many people have questioned the organisers efforts with regard to the event and if nothing else I wanted to ensure that the amount of work that goes in to the show was highlighted.

Thanks again

Gareth
Back to top Go down
urkles

urkles

Spotter Watch Member : yes

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 07:17

Hi Gareth

Thanks for the reply and like I said in the previous post im sorry about what I said about the F3 no show as I was under the impression it was not due anyway.

When I read the piece I get the impression you were trying to expand on the day with what was there, but I and many enthusiasts thought the military hardware was a bit sparse and also got the impression that all us enthusiasts that did not have something positive to say were all put in the same bracket. As an ethusiast who is a member of a group who did there own show this year at Bentwaters (I was away on the actual day) the guys who did the organising for us had a extremely busy and stressful time and that was a show that was one fifth the size of Waddington!

Gratitude to the guys that work so hard to put on these shows is forthcoming I believe for most of us enthusiasts and the I appriciate what was said in the article, but dont think if someone complains about something they are complaining about everything.

Thanks for your corteous reply and attitude!

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 07:40

Naturally, there isn't much to say which hasn't already been said before both on this site and elsewhere. I took the time to read the afore-mentioned article and I can't see any comments which would surprise any of us. Waddington's response and attitude is much the same as it's always been. It would be wrong to say that they are "hiding behind excuses" as they obviously don't see the situation like that. From their viewpoint, the show is a great success and they do everything that they can to keep everybody happy within the many existing constraints.

But this goes back to what I've said before; In my opinion (and it's a view shared by others too) it's a pointless exercise to simply complain that we enthusiasts want more fast jets flying, more RAF flying, and so on. We know that and so do Waddington. Entering into any sort of dialogue with them inevitably produces the same results every time - they say that they're doing their very best to look at every possibility but ultimately they are constrained by operational commitments, crew availability, cost, flight safety/display rules, accommodation problems, and so on. We know all this and we've heard it time and time again so it has become a sort of cultural cul-de-sac which this site (and others) continue to drive down. The afore-mentioned article simply repeats what we've said and heard more times than I care to remember.

My point, which I've raised many times and in many places, is that Waddington would do us, the RAF and themselves a great service if they could try (as a collegue described it) to "think oustide of the box". In the article we've mentioned, there are some points which I think worthy of a specific reply:-

organised on behalf of the RAF and to benefit the RAF, nothing more and nothing less

Okay, well this suggests that it is ultimately the RAF (ie the folks at High Wycombe and Whitehall) who should be examining the subject, if Waddington see themselves essentially as merely the "service provider". The key issue here is whether the event does actually benefit the RAF. Does it? In what way? As a local community relations excercise I'm sure it works well but as a wider national "showcase" for the RAF it does not. Likewise, in terms of recruiting value, I think it fails even more significantly.

commitment to deliver a healthy cheque to both the RAF Association and also the RAF Benevolent Fund

You have to wonder whether this aim can be reconciled with the previously-stated aims. I think that in the present climate, these aims might (to some degree) be mutually exclusive. A popular money-raising event might not necessarily be similar to an RAF showcase/recruiting event. It raises a serious question as to just how well the RAF are looking at the show, it's aims and whether it achieves any of them.

Judging by the amount of 'Future Pilot' stickers adorning members of the public, RAF Careers must have had a busy weekend and one which will surely bear fruit in the longer term.

Will it though? Amusing the kids might be nice but I really don't see how this translates into new recruits. It's vaguely insulting to suggest that any serious potential recruit (and one who is reaching the age where he/she wants to actually do something about it) gleans any information or enthusiasm from a plastic replica and a sticker. Unquestionably, the issue of attracting and informing potential recruits is a subject which is seriously ignored.

do need to use the University accommodation so we can't readily move this event

This is another subject which keeps coming up. Surely, if the show is dependant upon university accommodation, the show needs to be re-located to a station which isn't?

ask them whether they had enjoyed their day. I can honestly say that the answer was a unanimous yes - and I was braced for a Vulcan no-show backlash

Think that comment sums things up nicely. Words like ostriches and sand come to mind. We all know perfectly well that there was huge disappointment that the Vulcan didn't fly and that there was very significant disappointment that there was little else in the flying display of any great interest. To try and suggest (by asking Joe Public who would be happy with only a Red Arrows display) that everyone was somehow happy with the show, illustrates how Waddington see things with a distinctly rosy hue and frankly I think many of us could find this kind of response vaguely insulting to our intelligence.

But we could go round in circles arguing over this subject forever and it will achieve nothing. Waddington clearly think the show is a success and in terms of local community PR and money-raising, it is of course. But it does absolutely nothing to showcase the RAF to the public as a whole and it does nothing to inform and excite serious potential recruits. My view is that there's little point in maintaining any dialogue with Waddington as they already know very well what we think, and they clearly think the show is pretty-much as good as it can be. So what would dialogue achieve? We tell them (again) what we'd like to see. In response, they say that they will try to achieve it but that the rules and constraints prohibit them from achieveing any more than they already do. Brilliant. What a waste of our time and theirs.

My view is that the only possible way of producing a show which really does address the issues I've mentioned (and capture the interest of enthusiasts too) would be to start again from scratch. Throw away the rules and regulations, the misconceptions, the traditions and dogma, and look at the whole concept again from the very start. In short, a radical, no-nonsense and honest look at what the aims of such events are, and how they might be achieved. As 've said before, with a clean sheet there is certainly plenty which could be done to create an event which really would be a must-see, but until we reach a stage where everyone is willing to abandon the existing format and look at the show again from scratch (and this would surely involve a re-appraisal of all the existing safety rules which everyone seems terrified to address), this is never going to happen. You can't blame Waddington for sticking with the show format they have - it makes plenty of money and Joe Public love it. But that fails to address some important points, as mentioned.

My worry is that the present set-up and attitude is simply going to remain firmly in place for the forseeable future. The result will be that every successive show will contiinue to be dependant upon the same criteria and the result will be a gradual decline in the quality of the show from even the lack-lustre event we currently have. RAF and foreign participation (save for an occasional "scoop") will drift away still further until we're left with a civilian air fete, plus the Red Arrows and BBMF. All very nice for the local community but that surely isn't what the show should be all about, is it?

Anyway, I'm rambling again so back to you guys for your views. Just to repeat though, I cetainly don't have any issues with Waddington - they do a good job under difficult circumstances and I am of course a long-standing and keen supporter of the RAF and all that they do. To be honest - and maybe it's a bitter pill to swallow - I think it's rather pointless to continually feel obliged to highlight what a hard job the organisers have. Okay we already know that in any case but let's be direct about this - they're doing the job and they have to accept any criticism they get for it. Comes with the territory I'm afraid. We don't somehow owe them any favours - we're the tax-paying public and we have every right to complain if we see fit. I'd love the show to be a glorious success for everybody but I'm sufficiently realistic to know that the disappointments for many will only get worse as the years go by, unless some radical thinking is introduced. Sadly, I think it will be quite some time until such radical thinking is forced upon them.

Last edited by Sheff on 2009-07-14, 09:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
garethbrum

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 08:06

Hi Tim

I have to say that I think the team at Waddo (and other shows) would probably have welcomed more reasonable debate like this both before and after the show, as opposed to much of what was written on the forums and such like.

I'm planning a feature around recruiting at airshows for later in the season and I think people will be surprised at how successful these events are in these terms.

With reference to whether an event for the RAF can also be a charity fundraiser I would say why not? I'm not sure why these two things need to be seen as coming from a different agenda. Far better surely to make a load of cash for good causes while satisfying your other objectives?

There's one other thing I would ask you to expand upon if you don't mind:

To try and suggest (by asking Joe Public who would be happy with only a Red Arrows display) that everyone was somehow happy with the show, illustrates how Waddington see things with a distinctly rosy hue and frankly I think many of us could find this kind of response vaguely insulting to our intelligence.

I don't quite understand this, the point I was making is that everyone I spoke to had a wonderful day out - not that I spoke to everyone at the show. Of course some people left disappointed for one reason or another, as they will from ANY event, airshow or not. That some people have suggested the vast majority left angry however is plainly far from the truth.

Previously you suggested that there is little point talking to the organisers as they never give a straight answer or they hide behind excuses. I did go and talk to them but now you complain that there is nothing there that you haven't heard before.

What do you expect them to say?? What could they say that would make you feel as if they weren't hiding?

For what's it worth my impression was that they are a hard-working team determined to put on the best event possible and improve upon it next year.

Thanks for reading the feature and also making some comment, which I know the guys at Waddo will see.

Cheers

Gareth
Back to top Go down
JG71
Admin
Admin
JG71

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 08:17

Well i think thats just about covered that one.I think i will go get my glasses.
Back to top Go down
http://www.j79photography.webs.com
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

Spotter Watch Member : Yes I am!

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 08:24

JG71 wrote:
Well i think thats just about covered that one.I think i will go get my glasses.

Roll Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk
Sheff

Sheff

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 09:10

There's one other thing I would ask you to expand upon if you don't mind:

To try and suggest...

I don't quite understand this, the point I was making is that everyone I spoke to had a wonderful day out - not that I spoke to everyone at the show. Of course some people left disappointed for one reason or another, as they will from ANY event, airshow or not. That some people have suggested the vast majority left angry however is plainly far from the truth.

No probs; Unless I misread it, I think the comment came from the show organiser? We're all fully aware of the fact that a huge number (not just a few) were very disappointed by the show (many just didn't even go) and a similarly large number of people were very disappointed by the Vulcan's non-appearance. We know that and Waddington know that, therefore it's a bit much to do the old politician's trick of making sure you ask the right people in order to get the right answer. That just insults our intelligence, as if we're too dim to know the reality of the situation. It's easy to simply say that everyone (well not everyone but you know what I mean) left the show happy but that just ignores the wider picture.

you complain that there is nothing there that you haven't heard before.

Not complaining, just commenting that despite your commendable efforts, the answers you get are inevitably always the same.
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 09:42

Gareth - the show has to cater for everyone, agreed. But in the days of internet and aviation forums the enthusiast must be catered for too. If not these forms of communication rapidly carry bad news from enthusiast to enthusiast.

To that end then, the organisers MUST attract at least five star items. Five to allow for at least one or two last minute cancellations.

This would keep the enthusiasts happy. I'm sure nobody would miss the PA-28's and civilian aircraft ad nauseum in favour of a smaller but more punchy show. Reduce costs by limiting the number of display teams too.

I watched the crowds carefully - they all stopped in their tracks when the Red Arrows came on, but at least half seemed dis-interested in the other teams.

By reducing such costs you can then spend that bit more to get "headline acts".

The four Israeli Texans that were supposed to route, on delivery via Iceland, could have been attracted?

The Australian Seahawk could have been tempted from it's ship?

A couple of new Irish Air Corps AW-139's would have been pleasant?

I'm sure a number of European units which specialise in Training would have loved to attend (when was the last time a gaggle of French Epsilons were seen in the UK?)

Invite the Singapore A-4's from France back? Failing that a Flight Systems A-4 from Germany?

You could go on and on.

But until the enthusiast is catered for as well as the masses, you will face complaints every year.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
garethbrum

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 09:59

GOOSE wrote:
Gareth - the show has to cater for everyone, agreed. But in the days of internet and aviation forums the enthusiast must be catered for too. If not these forms of communication rapidly carry bad news from enthusiast to enthusiast.

To that end then, the organisers MUST attract at least five star items. Five to allow for at least one or two last minute cancellations.

This would keep the enthusiasts happy. I'm sure nobody would miss the PA-28's and civilian aircraft ad nauseum in favour of a smaller but more punchy show. Reduce costs by limiting the number of display teams too.

I watched the crowds carefully - they all stopped in their tracks when the Red Arrows came on, but at least half seemed dis-interested in the other teams.

The four Israeli Texans that were routing, on delivery via Iceland, could have been attracted?

I'm sure a number of European units which specialise in Training would have loved to attend (when was the last time a gaggle of French Epsilons were seen in the UK?)

Invite the Singapore A-4's from France back? Failing that a Flight Systems A-4 from Germany?

You could go on and on.

But until the enthusiast is catered for as well as the masses, you will face complaints every year.

Hi Goose

The point I would like to make by way of response is that people say these things as if they (the organisers) don't try to get anything for the enthusiast - they do try, and damn hard as well from what I could see.

If you read the feature they are well aware of what it is that makes enthusiasts happy and I wonder how productive it is to simply suggest things that you would like to have seen at the event - it's not as if they don't know what's most interesting or didn't even try! They know what's feasible and try to get it.

I could list all the players I want my team to buy but I'm very sure that they would have good reasons as to why they haven't gone out and bought them!

It's not as simple as why didn't they get this aircraft or that aircraft...............

Cheers

Gareth
Back to top Go down
Mayfly

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 10:18

I know they tried to get the Austrailain Seahawk but were told the frigates would have left for Canada before the airshow w/e
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 10:43

garethbrum wrote:
GOOSE wrote:

The four Israeli Texans that were routing, on delivery via Iceland, could have been attracted?

You could go on and on.

Hi Goose

The point I would like to make by way of response is that people say these things as if they (the organisers) don't try to get anything for the enthusiast - they do try, and damn hard as well from what I could see.

If you read the feature they are well aware of what it is that makes enthusiasts happy and I wonder how productive it is to simply suggest things that you would like to have seen at the event - it's not as if they don't know what's most interesting or didn't even try! They know what's feasible and try to get it.

I could list all the players I want my team to buy but I'm very sure that they would have good reasons as to why they haven't gone out and bought them!

It's not as simple as why didn't they get this aircraft or that aircraft...............

Cheers

Gareth

I take your point Gareth, but we hear it all the time these days!

"We couldn't get that because of............"

"We couldn't get this because of............."

"That can't come............"

"They won't come.............."

Surely an organisers job is to organise?

I will quote the article here -

Charles goes on to say that relations with foreign air arms are developing all the time and those with air arms that have previously sent aircraft to participate are being maintained. A key target for next year's event will be to attract more of this kind of participation in order to keep the enthusiast community on-side.

So why a key target for next year? Why not this year?

I'm sorry but in my view they must try harder if they truely wish to impress the hardcore enthusiast!

If the organisers do not wish to hear this particular thought - then why ask?

Or do they just wish to hear pleasing rumbles such as -

"There were plenty of toilets"

"The ropes around the aircraft were nice and low"

"The fair was kept well out of the way"

I'm sorry but in an open forum most of us would want to know where a few rare or exotic jets were?

I'll close with a question if I may?

"After hours of work preparing and restoring the 5 Sqn Lightning to such an impressive standard - why was it almost tucked away in a corner, surrounded by metal barriers? Would she not have been better presented in the main static line up, or better still next to the Vulcan, that couldn't fly?"

Simple question, probably a complicated answer!
Back to top Go down
garethbrum

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 11:18

You're right. We do hear it all the time. But that's not the organisers fault or because they
need to try harder.

If they didn't get all they wanted this year then surely we should applaud any additional efforts
next year?

As for the Lightning, good question and I'm sure someone will respond.
Back to top Go down
Mayfly

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 11:35

its it not because she is on loan as 5sqns gate guard she was outside their hangar
Back to top Go down
greyghost

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 11:47

I was going to post a comment but my mate has written a book on it so I won't bother, have to say I'm a little surprised at your comments Goose!

Greyghost
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 11:59

greyghost wrote:
I was going to post a comment but my mate has written a book on it so I won't bother, have to say I'm a little surprised at your comments Goose!

Greyghost

Opinions and thoughts were asked for, I delivered mine.

Constant platitudes to the organisers won't highlight the fact that there is a problem.

Just because I'm a Fighter Control staff member, doesn't mean I have to roll over and fawn at the large line up of Pipers, Extras and other general aviation offerings. Some of these were even parked in prime positions whilst gems like the DH-2 and Austers were left in the shade at the back of the Sentry Hangar. Furthermore the gorgeous 2 seat Spitfire and Antonov 2 were parked away out to the west of the field where you had to navigate your way through endless barriers and a car park to view them!!!!

Perhaps I'm a grumpy git because I drove the 700 mile round trip from Scotland anticipating the Vulcan flying and a last minute rabbit out of the hat by the Airshow team.

Greyghost, I would be more than happy to continue this via PM should you wish. I will supply a full list of "gripes" and proposals if required.
Back to top Go down
agdickie

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 12:11

GOOSE wrote:
If it's any consolation to the Waddington organisers, if the Polish Mig fails to materialize for Leuchars, I think they'll be in for some flak too.

I'd think that most of us would be disappointed but would understand. How can you have a go at the organsiers because an aircraft cancelled? If they were offered something juicy but turned it down you could give them a bit of aggro but that a participant had to cancel can't be blamed on them!

FWIW looking at Waddington's participation as an outsider it didn't look so bad. Yes the flying display wasn't amazing (from an enthusiasts point of view) but there were some excellent catches in the static - French E3, Boscombe BAC 1-11, Boscombe AlphaJets, Boscombe Sea King, Austrian Herc, Noggie F16s etc etc.

Last edited by agdickie on 2009-07-14, 14:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greyghost

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 13:15

Goose

No need to go to PM I really couldn't care less anymore it worries me that some believe that airshows are put on for the benefit of number crunchers/photographers clearly some would argue with me over that on a daily basis it's an argument I can niether win or lose.

I'm out of here and I may go for good as far as this forum is concerned, it is not fulfilling what I want from this hobby spotting seems to be the last thing here these days.

Greyghost
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 13:56

greyghost wrote:
Goose

No need to go to PM I really couldn't care less anymore it worries me that some believe that airshows are put on for the benefit of number crunchers/photographers clearly some would argue with me over that on a daily basis it's an argument I can niether win or lose.

I'm out of here and I may go for good as far as this forum is concerned, it is not fulfilling what I want from this hobby spotting seems to be the last thing here these days.

Greyghost

It is always a shame when a differing of opinions causes a member to threaten to leave. It is sadly however becoming more prevalent in forum life.

"I can't win or change someones opinion - so therefore I'll leave!" Is often bandied around.

I would challenge you to do the harder and more mature thing - stay around and endeavour to make this hobby we all enjoy better - for the greater good?

After all we are all adults, with differing opinions, surely? Is that not the reason for a Forum? Or do we all just tow the party line, stick our heads in the sand, and pretend "everything is just fine and dandy thank you?"
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 14:58

agdickie wrote:
GOOSE wrote:
If it's any consolation to the Waddington organisers, if the Polish Mig fails to materialize for Leuchars, I think they'll be in for some flak too.

I'd think that most of us would be disappointed but would understand. How can you have a go at the organsiers because an aircraft cancelled? If they were offered something juicy but turned it down you could give them a bit of aggro but that a participant had to cancel can't be blamed on them!

FWIW looking at Waddington's participation as an outsider it didn't look so bad. Yes the flying display wasn't amazing (from an enthusiasts point of view) but there were some excellent catches in the static - French E3, Boscombe BAC 1-11, Boscombe AlphaJets, Boscombe Sea King, Austrian Herc, Noggie F16s etc etc.

A comment that I have now retracted as I did not know of the magnificent Leuchars update today. Well done to the Leuchars team for the Czech involvement.

As for the rest, a poor showing from this enthusiast's point of view. French E-3's viewable many times a year in the skys over the UK. Boscombe stuff - nice occasionally but often seen over the years due to their age. The Alpha I think I first saw in West German AF colours more years ago than I care to remember. The Austrian Herc = ex RAF and the Norweigan F-16's are hardly rare.

That said it was nice to see them, but how much nicer would it have been for a French KC-135, a Boscombe Down Hip, the Boscombe Tornado F.2 or an Austrian Eurofighter?

Granted a list will always be subjective but in the light of day the above suggestions would have been much more attractive.

Thank god we can all have differing opinions on what would make a great show and enjoy the diversity that still exists rather than wheezing about this and that for ever.

Last edited by GOOSE on 2009-07-14, 15:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greyghost

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 15:02

For the record Goose and I have exchanged PM's and he is aware that this discussion is not the reason that I might quit the group there are plenty more things than that, I do not intend to run away i'm just not getting out of this group what I want as a spotter.

My airshow season is over, yes I have no intention of going anywhere near FFD, I would like to go to Leuchars but I simply don't have the time to do so, but I haven't gone anywhere yet.

Greyghost
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 15:05

And I have asked Greyghost to stay and improve on what the enthusiast needs. Hopefully he will take up the challenge. We need strong willed people with aviation passion. Big Grin
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty2009-07-14, 16:10

Tim,
You are never going to find a station with that amount of accommodation. It simply doesn't exist. During the 22 years that I was in the RAF basically halved itself. This has been pointed out to you on several occasions and it hasn't sunk in.

Accommodation is at a premium and is scaled accordingly. No station today can afford to maintain surplus accomodation sitting idle just for the sake of an airshow. Stations rely on a large percentage of personnel living out in either rented or bought houses. If all those personnel and families living off base suddenly decided to on mass turn up looking for housing and accommodation no base could provide it. The days of large barracks and multiman rooms are long since gone. Huge amounts of forces houses have been sold off.

One of the perks of being in the forces during the 1980s was that you could travel and turn up at bases unannounced. Accommodation was in abundance and you were always guaranteed transit or a spare room. From the scale down in the 1990s orders were forever being published highlighting the fact that bases simply didn't have any spare capacity.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waddington show has their say.... Waddington show has their say.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Waddington show has their say....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Airshows :: Airshows -