New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help with laptop advice!

View previous topic View next topic Go down
mrlongbow

Help with laptop advice! Vide
PostSubject: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 10:39

Hey everybody!
My Sony VAIO has given up the ghost after 2.5 years of use and is far to much money to repair. So i am looking for a new laptop, with some advice from you guys!
All i need it for is browsing the internet, downloading music and movies and watching movies.
I would like it if possible to have a blu-ray drive (although not vital), good memory and obviously a good core duo processor. I guess i am looking for a multi-media laptop really.
If possible nothing bigger than 15.5" screen. I have seena few laptops that i think are good but want some advice from others.

Please do not offer a Sony laptop, i have had more trouble with them than i`ve had hot dinners! Big Grin

Thanks in advance everyone.
Back to top Go down
Dave934

Dave934

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 11:31

I had loads of agro with Toshiba laptops....
Not recomended.
Dave.
Back to top Go down
ringo747

ringo747

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 11:38

The HP Pavilion range are very good. The dv5 range should be within your budget. They tend to have good dual core processor with up to 4gb Ram. Great screens on them too. If you had loads to spend id recommend a mac but its maybe overkill for a multimedia only laptop!
Back to top Go down
thebluebeard

thebluebeard

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 11:44

Acer offer a variety of specs. Maybe the Dell range, they also seem to be popular. Its worth checking fleabay for refurbished and 'returns' of many and various mkaes and specs. Try to find one with Windows XP. Vista seems to be the 'kiss of death'. Some of the webbooks are quite up to low level tasks, and cheap. Don't expect lightning speeds though. Good Luck Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.lincs2locations.co.uk
mrlongbow

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 11:46

Yeah, i was looking into the HP Pavilion range. Have heard good things about this range. Vista is a total shambles for sure, thank the lord i do not do masses of word docs etc! Anybody had experience with Samsung?
Back to top Go down
ringo747

ringo747

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 11:52

mrlongbow wrote:
Yeah, i was looking into the HP Pavilion range. Have heard good things about this range. Vista is a total shambles for sure, thank the lord i do not do masses of word docs etc! Anybody had experience with Samsung?

my gf had a samsung which wasn't great but not sure about current models. I always stay clear of dell based on their poor reputation but i think they are getting their act together with more tecent models also. HP or apple for the win.
Back to top Go down
Vulcan7

Vulcan7

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-07, 14:47

Ive always had HP, couldnt fault them, good memory, good screens, and fast too.

I have Vista on this one and have had no problems at all.

Joe
Back to top Go down
mrlongbow

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-08, 09:12

What HP model do you have Joe? I am thinking HP is the one to go for.

Thanks for the advice peeps!
Back to top Go down
ElliotDC

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-08, 10:29

Well I am on my second HP Pavillion and really like them!

EDC Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-08, 10:46

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 (17in monitor) and it is a nice laptop... (so far)...
Back to top Go down
GreenBat

GreenBat

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-08, 11:51

Well despite what Dave934 says, I have 2 Toshiba laptops and I'm very happy with them, one of which must be 7 or 8 years old and is still going strong, although I have added more RAM and a larger hard drive to the old one just to keep it a little more up to speed, not because of any faults Cheers

Opps Watch em pack up now I've said this!!!!
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-08, 11:56

Advent 5312,fantastic.

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-08, 14:21

I guess that is the same with most laptops, some people love a certain brand others do not trust them.
Although fairly dear (i think) the Dell XPS 16 sounds ok...anybody agree?
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty2009-07-09, 14:37

Go with Acer.

Robust easy to upgrade the memory and they have a partition on the HDD which reinstalls the Operating system and the rest of the installed software.

Help with laptop advice! Banner01
Kills: Help with laptop advice! Kills_logo
Ejections: Help with laptop advice! 2003_SV1000S
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with laptop advice! Help with laptop advice! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with laptop advice!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: FC Community :: Non-Aviation Chat -