New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Yeovilton Airshow

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-11, 15:05

As you say Razor, Yeovilton held the promise of being the best show of the year. I rather thought Leuchars looked like coming a close second so if that show goes as planned and they get the weather, it'll be quite interesting. I assume the Etendards didn't show then? I still can't work-out how Yeovilton can quietly assemble a decent line-up like this and yet despite all their hype, Waddington can't...

Last edited by Sheff on 2009-07-11, 16:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
old_git

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-11, 15:44

Sad fighter control - the friendly forum Sad
Back to top Go down
Rural Outpost

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-12, 00:00

well I am on route now and should be there by 7.30am. I have to be back at lunch time so will update what is still left for those thinking of popping down.

Regards
Rural Outpost
Back to top Go down
skunkrider
Yellow Carded

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-12, 05:41

Considering conditions, not too bad a show. Too many pauses, during which, most times, the weather/flying conditions had improved and some events could have been brought forward. Embarrassment that " Johnny Foreigner " could take his Rafale or F16 and fly but " our boys " felt that the conditions were outside their capabilities. Just what have we bought if the Typhoon has to rely on sunshine to go to work?. Lots of big bangs at the end to finish off a good demo. Excellent arrangements for us "Flids " to get onto and off the airfield and thanks to those lovely people who arranged the loan of wheelchairs to allow us to get around the airfield. my only problem was that too many " able bodied people were allowed into the disabled area. At the sound of any aircraft they all stood up and those of us in wheelchairs were denied photo opportunities and a reasonable view of any aircraft flying. No amount of complaints changed their attitude of stuff you mate I'll stand up if I want to and blow you!. Still this is a typical social attitude that prevails within society today. Best part was that once they announced the Vulcan wasn't flying the majority " b******ed " off. Well done Navy!! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Rural Outpost

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-12, 06:15

The two Spanish V8s and two French Air Force Rafaels departed around 10.00am. The Vulcan and much of the rest remains including F16, Harriers and Typhoons. As I was leaving at Mid day a geezer in uniform stated there would be no more flying until 2.00pm today and then only the King Air and Typhoons would be flying.

At 10.50am a C17 went OTT Yeovilton heading North. Any ideas ?

If anyone can point me in the direction of a list of what was at the show I would be grateful due to only being able to read off codes on some aircraft.

Regrds
Rural Outpost
Back to top Go down
Box Brownie

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-12, 12:49

Hi All

Sounds like you guys who were there on the arrivals day - Fri 10th - had a cracking time with the rehearsals etc. We enjoyed the day itself but the low ceiling reducing the Reds to a 2 minute "hi & goodbye" was sad and the no show of the Freece Tricolori and the other F16's ~ though the Rafale and the Belgium F16 put a nice fastjet treat but nothing IMO spetacular though the Rafales last minute permission for the last high speed run got the crowd pleased.

Biggest disappointment for me was the Vulcan going down 'cos of hydraulic failure and the lack of Harriers in the "Maritime Assault" display ~ surely such low cloud was not an impediment to the Harriers say compared to what the F16/Rafale & Hunters 'reason given'. And the onset of the heavy shower dampened the finale a tad.

But this was my first Yeovilton and as Arnie said "I'll be back......" Big Grin oh, but the Sea Vixen put on an immense display. But the departure of HRH Duke of York left something to be desired as far as delaying the Sea Vixen and impacting on the overall flow of the show!

No pics yet, just got back I have a week in Wales on business to get ready for ~ hope to post a couple sometime within the next couple of weeks? I will have a gander at you other guys offerings later.
Back to top Go down
urkles

urkles

Spotter Watch Member : yes

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 01:55

Calm it down boys Wink Eveyone has a opinion, I went to rehearsals and it was fantastic, for me the highlight of the year so far, and ive done a few shows already including the big one in Austria and Belgium. The Navy really did pull out all the stops to create a great day, they seemed to care and wanted to create a good reputation.

Im not saying all this as im ex-FAA, they really did make 100% effort and credit is due, also yesterday I went to Legends and what another great day as well, seeing stuff land and take off whilst a display was going on was brilliant, there was alsways something happening. And seeing Oasis at Wembley on Saturday meant I had a fantastic weekend.

Sheff, I agree 100% with you on Waddington but you really did miss a great day at VL, great visitors and a great display and photo opportunities despite the weather, it was nothing short of brilliant, and Greyghost, dont get so wound up, Sheff likes a moan but he also talks a lot of sense! (sometimes Big Grin )
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 02:03

urkles wrote:
The Navy really did pull out all the stops to create a great day, they seemed to care and wanted to create a good reputation.

As this year is 100 years of Navy flight they have clearly been given the manpower and budget to promote the Navy. Hopefully the RAF will do the same in 2018.

It's great to see the French and Spanish recognising this and contributing, especially as the countries have tumultuous histories with UK naval wise.
Back to top Go down
Blackcat1

Blackcat1

PostSubject: weather Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 05:24

"The weather wasnt as bad as Fairford last year!! lol, a few showers, but i think we escaped the worse of it, hope they are having a good day for the show, they deserve it.

Flaps i meant the weather on the Friday at RIAT for arrivals was worse than the weather at Yeovilton for arrivals.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 07:13

I have had to moderate this thread due to some unnecessary remarks.
If you have any problems with other members opinions then please keep them to private messages or email and not the forum.

Every member on this forum has the entitlement of their own opinions and can express them on here how they wish.
No abuse such as that shown (now deleted) will be tolerated and if anymore bickering happens over said opinions i will deal with the offending members directly.
This is a discussion forum, not an online abuse forum. Those who wish to discuss things have the right to do so but please do not turn the discussions into arguments over your differing views.

Please keep up the thread discussion, thanks
Back to top Go down
Digz

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 07:46

Thanks Rich for getting us back on track.

It was a good day on Saturday, a little dissapointed that the Typhoon didnt brave it. I think what was really annoying was that it stayed predominantly dry but the cloud base was just too low, and to top it off the weather yesterday and today has been glorious!!!

I was amazed at how the crowds departed when they announced the Vulcan was not servicable and the 1hour queue in the car at the end to get out of the car park was fun!!!

Just out of interest where were people located throughout the day? Who knows we could have been standing close to one another!
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 15:46

The trip out for us was painless.... straight out, on a road which was dead...just like it was in.... we bypassed all the traffic because the driver had a press pass....
When breaking off from the driver to do his press thing, i went to the static first and had a good look around... then sat several rows back near the birger vans east of the Seaking statics.
After a while i went back to the static (when the reds came in) and went into the hangars and stuff...before going back for the display again.
Looking at my pics and others, we may have even talked to one another and not noticed it.

I too was amazed on how many left once the Vulcan was announced to be a no go.
I don't go to an airshow for just one aircraft but obviously a great deal (atleast a third) did.
What was nice though, they made an effort to tow it into the crowd.

Although i am not a fan at all of the TVOC/VTTS etc for their shambles, i think the Vulcan was one of the iconic aircraft that got me interested. I remember 558 back in i think, 1986 when i last saw it display at Exeter. Of course back then the displays were fantastic.
I think possibly, this was the last time i may see the Vulcan flying and i am glad i saw it arriving on the Friday.

For me..a message to the TVOC.... pass t he Vulcan onto a company that have superior management skills and are able to do the job properly...and don't lie and keep on the publics side (not keep things exclusive to club members etc and expect to get respect back).
Then together with the ground crews who know what they are doing, and of course the air crew... we might get to see the Vulcan for a lot longer.
Back to top Go down
Sheff

Sheff

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-13, 16:19

you really did miss a great day at VL

Well it would have been a nice day out but when it involves a four-hour drive (or more) there and back, you start thinking about whether it's worth it. I would have liked to have seen the Vixen but I'll hold-out hope I get to see it another time. The go/no go Vulcan, no Etendard and the lousy weather was enough to convince me to stay home! I'm a tad disappointed as it promised to be quite a good show but I'm old enough to know that some you win and some you lose. If the Atlantic had been flying I still might have been tempted though! I'll keep my fingers crossed that Leuchars keeps looking good - and that the weather forecast is optimistic!
Back to top Go down
Digz

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-14, 02:26

I was sat right at the fence line to the right of the commentary box, as you look at the runway, pretty much slap bang between the two speakers. Given the amount of people that left after the no go on the Vulcan, when I look around at the start of the commando assault the crown line looked packed!
Back to top Go down
garethbrum

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty2009-07-21, 07:18

Hope no one minds!

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2009/yeovilton2009.php
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeovilton Airshow Yeovilton Airshow - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yeovilton Airshow

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 3 of 3 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Airshows :: Airshows -