New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

too many photos?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
b0nd08

b0nd08

Spotter Watch Member : No

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-06-30, 16:54

sorry if this is in the wrong section but i thought this would be the right one to post in after looking through.

my question is this.... does anyone actually mind if someone posts alot of photos from a day out? reason for me asking this is for some reason i feel i have to hold back everytime i post some in the recent photos section.
as many of you know, we take a hell of alot of photos on a day out. (at mildenhall on a decent day i average at about 300/350) and of course you will want to share the pictures that you thought were good.
another reason is that i see in some topics finishing with an apology saying something along the lines of "sorry if theres too many pictures"
in my opinion, surely its best to post a few pictures as its an aviation forum? also surely people will be interested to see what movements there were etc.
im not talking like 30,40,50 pictures but yeah id just like opinions Cheers
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-01, 03:12

Alot of our members who live in traditional rural areas are still on dial up, because they live up to 4-5 miles or even more from the main BT exchange.

So you can imagine the frustration this causes for some members.

Here is a map of 'Broadband NOTspots' that you can examine and zoom in to.

http://www.broadband-notspot.org.uk/coverage-map.html#5,55.354,-4.8,all,2
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
b0nd08

b0nd08

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 12:05

ok fair enough, what number of images would be the maximum to post?
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 12:40

FC I believe has no file size limit. Other forums do due to the problem of download and viewing. Even with a fairly fast broadband it can take a while to download some individuals photo posts.

All people have to do is to remember to save to a reasonable file size. 250kb maximum is a reasonable size.

TJ
Back to top Go down
b0nd08

b0nd08

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 14:19

yeah but i mean how many actual images on a post not file size Whistle
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 14:59

b0nd08 wrote:

As TeeJ says, Fighter Control doesn't have a limit, you post as many as you like...

But, if you post 30 "average" pictures and two "fanastic" pictures, the fantastic ones will get lost and people may not see them. I always say quality over quantity...

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbrokenPhotography.co.uk
TEEJ

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 16:02

b0nd08 wrote:

Can you hear whistling? I think you have misunderstood my reply. As Mike has stated post as many as you want, but I think it is only fair to every forum user on large image posts to limit the actual file size. If someone posts 30 images all at 900kb then it can, for those still on dial up, take an age to download.

TJ
Back to top Go down
b0nd08

b0nd08

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 16:09

glad thats sorted Whistle
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-03, 23:21

Personally speaking, I tend to only post up to 10 shots, maybe 12 at a push (for something like Riat) As mentioned there isnt really a limit but if you make a post that takes too long to load some people will just navigate away rather than wait.
Back to top Go down
Grahame W

Grahame W

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-04, 04:42

This is very much a personal opinion, but I have felt for some time that FC has placed too much emphasis on the photography side of things. Obviously a lot of us - myself included - are keen photographers, and the photography sections are clearly very popular, but we shouldn't forget that FC is a forum for aviation enthusiasts, not for photographers. IMHO there should be only two criteria for posting photos: (a) it is an exceptional photograph in its own right, whatever the subject; or (b) it is of a particularly rare or unusual aircraft. I very rarely post my photos because they hardly ever meet those criteria! The quality of photographs on FC is usually very good, but how many pictures of (say) Coningsby Typhoons do we want to see?

Just my half-a-euros worth...
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-04, 04:59

Grahame W wrote:
but we shouldn't forget that FC is a forum for aviation enthusiasts, not for photographers.

A valid point Grahame, but surely its the same thing? My main interest in this Hobby is the photography side, so does that not make me an enthusiast? At the same time, recording numbers is of no interest to me - but plenty on here do with little interest in photography.

Thats the thing with this hobby - it caters for many different tastes.
Back to top Go down
Grahame W

Grahame W

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-04, 05:23

A good point - but posting a list of numbers doesn't take up bandwidth! I just feel that there are too many photos posted at present. A lot of this is down to jealousy on my part - my pictures are nowhere near as good. And I'm certainly not suggesting that the mods should impose any restrictions, but perhaps a certain amount of self-censorship on the part of individuals wouldn't go amiss.
Back to top Go down
48thEagle

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-05, 07:08

Grahame W wrote:
This is very much a personal opinion, but I have felt for some time that FC has placed too much emphasis on the photography side of things. Obviously a lot of us - myself included - are keen photographers, and the photography sections are clearly very popular, but we shouldn't forget that FC is a forum for aviation enthusiasts, not for photographers. IMHO there should be only two criteria for posting photos: (a) it is an exceptional photograph in its own right, whatever the subject; or (b) it is of a particularly rare or unusual aircraft. I very rarely post my photos because they hardly ever meet those criteria! The quality of photographs on FC is usually very good, but how many pictures of (say) Coningsby Typhoons do we want to see?

Just my half-a-euros worth...

It is your choice to rarely post photos because they dont meet your criteria, but some people , via photography, enjoy being an aviation enthusiast, and would like to share their hobby. Some have, on previous occasions, received constructive criticism (and some unjustified) of their pics, which surely would help them improve their hobby.

Yes, you may not want to see any more Coningsby Typhoons, but some here enjoy photography as much as aviation, and would like to indulge, and for some, having spent a considerable amount of money both in the purchase of the equipment, and the costs of getting to various locations, they would like to share their pics.

My chosen playground is RAF Mildenhall, I have been fortunate to meet some decent members there, and over that time, have seen the quality of their photography improve, and I don't mean the image quality, but the composition, their 'eye' for a pic has improved, and that is surely a good thing?

However, I would not wish to offend anyone with a pic of yet another tanker, or take a trip to Lakenheath for yet another F-15, so I have now posted my last picture here, I shall just 'take' from the site, as 'giving' to it should only be done in exceptional or rare occasions.
Back to top Go down
gwillia1

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-05, 07:26

Perhaps a convention of posting thumbnails with links to larger images would satisfy both the high and low bandwidth communities?

See here for an example: http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/raf-lyneham-f39/vulcan-again-t11260.htm

G.
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty2009-07-06, 04:48

With RIAT just around the corner there will obviously be a deluge of images. Isn't it time to introduce a 'One thread per person, per airshow' rule? (That includes arrivals & departures). Other forums have introduced such a rule and it works perfectly. With more and more members posting images it will keep everything nice and neat. It will also have the effect of making it self-limiting. As Mike states 'quality over quantity' where it encourages people to think about and be self critical over their images.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

too many photos? Vide
PostSubject: Re: too many photos? too many photos? Empty

Back to top Go down

too many photos?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Technical -