New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The mound.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Snafu

Snafu

Spotter Watch Member : No

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 09:19

Matty, thanks for the info.

Interesting debate. IMHO you could put all the signs up like. There are folk who think rules apply to everyone but them. There's a law against using mobiles in cars for example but I lose count of the morons who zip past me with one glued to their ears. On the M1 there's a 50mph speed limit in the roadworks, but there are jerks who think that applies to everyone but them. I would say most people on here are responsible folk who value their hobby and would be ultra considerate. On here I think you're preaching to the converted. There'll always be mindless morons in all walks of life, let's hope they don't ruin our hobby! Also be nice to get up close and personal with the F15's minus the over zealous Yank security Clap
Back to top Go down
triplexxxF2

triplexxxF2

Spotter Watch Member : yes

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 09:51

APC,

The farmer is not intrested in anyone else parking in his yard for a fee its for his work gang I put it to him over a year ago he was polite with it...he has just room for his people to park let alone spotters Whistle

Terry
Back to top Go down
milky01

milky01

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 10:21

I went to see Mr Casey today re parking in his yard but this is a no go,He has no problem with people parking by the mound as long as he can get access to his fields,People take there litter home and no parking in his grass field.

Cheers kevin.

Last edited by milky01 on 2009-06-18, 11:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.milky01.piczo.com
Flaps
Flaps

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 11:55

If the Eagles are going to be operating out of Coningsby during RIAT week (Mon 13-Fri 17th July)then expect an absolute nightmare.
I spent some time at the New York end on the Tuesday and Wednesday before RIAT 2007 and was astonished at the amount of spotters(mostly UK and loads of Dutch guys),they were parked anywhere they could(blocking entrances etc.)
The speed of the traffic on the road (B1192)is bloody frightening,(to say the least) and I'm sure that someone will be killed very soon.When that happens then the layby(with the huge pot-holes) will be shut.

This needs sorted long before the Eagles arrive.

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 13:06

Evening All Folks,

I have been watching this thread with some interest. Me and the MDP PC have been in talks with the local farmers, police and highway agencies for the last week and they are still ongoing, I was away from the office today so I hope to have a response tomorrow, if not it will be next week, and that is a busy one.

As people have mentioned the farmers have been approached reference a number of ways of curbing the parking problem, the one we want to go for is for part of the land at the 25 end to be made into a hard standing and then a honest box be left for the farmer to empty daily/ or run a system like in john's field at Mildenhall, but as usual it all comes down to cost.

I will let you know the soonest what is happening, in the mean time just keep an eye for people not acting accordingly if there are any problem give the RAF Police/MoD Police a call. Please do not let things get out of hand as I feel that the Spotterwatch scheme is working at CBY and other Units that have taken it on and I would like to spread it further.

Sorry for ranting and I hope to see you all around CBY.

Regards
Back to top Go down
thebluebeard

thebluebeard

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Volunteer Car park attendants The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 13:28

How about a corps of volunteer car pak attendants to help marshall and keep an eye on proceedings. I imagine there would be a lot of FC type spotters who will be going to have a look at the temporary residents, anyway.

Maybe some could give a an hour or two out just to help things along and still get time to have a look around? Maybe in conjuction with the the other security/safety authorities. Just a broad suggestion for some thoughts maybe?

Put a responsible face forward for the more dedicated spotter, as respresented by members of forums such as these. Leave a good impression for the future of the hobby both at Coningsby and elsewhere.

Our security cousins would spread their favourable impressions and help spread the word, that we don't all get tarred with the same brush.

Also time maybe for the beginnings of another thread specifically for spectators attending over the period eh mods?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lincs2locations.co.uk
Jimbo27

Spotter Watch Member : Yep

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 13:55

iskra750 wrote:
Evening All Folks,

I hope to see you all around CBY.

Not if I see you first!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 14:44

iskra750 wrote:

...in the mean time just keep an eye for people not acting accordingly if there are any problem give the RAF Police/MoD Police a call.
Hi Steve,
In case there are any problems, what number(s) should we call?
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 20:08

Raf Police 01526 347928
MOD Police 01526 347482
Lincs Police 01522 532222
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-18, 23:45

Thanks Ian.
Back to top Go down
thebluebeard

thebluebeard

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 02:38

How about an info leaflet that could be handed to spotters that covers the general acceptable principles of their safety and security, in connection with spotting in general. Could also include some do's and don'ts specific to Coningsby at anytime, including the visit of the F15's. Use of the mound etc.
Reminders about litter. Warnings about the fact that ladders and steps against fences may be perceived as a secuirty threat, let alone the potential to cause damage, and health and safety issues for themselves and others. Details that Fighter Control is in the forefront of the promotion of responsible spotting.

Reminders of the very good relationship that spotters have with the base and landowners and local businesses, and that actions that could be seen to be less than common sense would jeopardise that relationship.

Anti terroist issues with phone numbers to call.

Not too much info that makes the leaflet litter, but rather that it is brief to the point and goes into the camera case, for further reference.

Some forum posters have indicated their willingness to approach those who are seen to be acting in a way that is unacceptable.
I would suggest that in this day and age that is unwise, and puts them in a dangerous and confrontational position. The MOD Police and Civilian Police are there to deal with that.

Being handed a leaflet with a smile would help to foster better relationships and also increase the chance of keeping all your own teeth. It may also help to foster more responsible actions from the majoroity, some of whom might not even realise that appearing above the parapet just to take a photo might find the lens looking down the end of an M16.

Just a thought or two
Back to top Go down
big greg

Spotter Watch Member : 0609

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Locals The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 03:54

Hi,just to add to this topic about the mound.Well all spotting places around the base,ive notice when been there to watch night flying that you get ther local teenagers in there cars in and out of theses places.And as can be seen you get beer cans all over aswell as litter,ive not seen any spoters drinking beer.Yes we have all been young and many of you still are i know,but just saying dont put the blame on us spotters.There are many day trippers aswell that come,and at school holidays,i dont have to tell you.Thge picnics come out and some litter left or gets blown away.
As for the sods that put ladders up fences then i think we should take it on ourselfs to tell them,ok ask first.Then tell,and if they then dont take them down pull the buggers down and smack them.(yes i know this wont work,but it would make me feel better)
Greg.
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 04:53

thebluebeard wrote:
How about an info leaflet that could be handed to spotters that covers the general acceptable principles of their safety and security, in connection with spotting in general. Could also include some do's and don'ts specific to Coningsby at anytime, including the visit of the F15's. Use of the mound etc.
Reminders about litter. Warnings about the fact that ladders and steps against fences may be perceived as a secuirty threat, let alone the potential to cause damage, and health and safety issues for themselves and others. Details that Fighter Control is in the forefront of the promotion of responsible spotting.

Anti terroist issues with phone numbers to call.

Not too much info that makes the leaflet litter, but rather that it is brief to the point and goes into the camera case, for further reference.

As I have already stated and would now like to reiterate , please take time to get in touch with Iskra 750, who is the "Spotter watch" co ordinator, and join the scheme. It's all free and you get all the info you need on your membership card .

Whilst I think it's a good idea for a leaflet ,as you say, it will cause a litter problem.Also who pays for them and who hands them out?? Not wishing to be a killjoy but I think common sense should prevail and you should all join spotter watch,
Sorry for adding to your already heavy workload Iskra
Ian
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 05:52

I think this is now a good time for some valuable insight from Steve and his Team and also the Regulars and residents of Coningsby to put forward some more ideas, and of course us here at Fighter Control will have to update the Spotterwatch page on the website.

The mound. - Page 3 Banner01
Kills: The mound. - Page 3 Kills_logo
Ejections: The mound. - Page 3 2003_SV1000S
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
TEEJ

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 06:00

milky01 wrote:
I went to see Mr Casey today re parking in his yard but this is a no go,He has no problem with people parking by the mound as long as he can get access to his fields,People take there litter home and no parking in his grass field.

Cheers kevin.

During the Jaguar rundown at Coningsby that grass field by the mound was heaving with cars. If people can't find a spot by the mound they will just drive on and into the field. Once one does it they will all follow.

Mr Casey shouldn't have to do it, but a simple taped/roped off area or a sign would stop it happening during the F-15 deployment.

Lots of visitors might not be aware of all the problems and where they should not park. If there is nothing to instruct or prevent them parking they will just assume and think that it is ok. It would save all the hassle of regular enthusiasts having to constantly challenge parking transgressors during the upcoming F-15 deployment.

I still feel that those simple measures would alleviate the problems. Even if both farmers put up a simple wooden no parking signs it would go a long way to prevent the transgressors. I still think that it would be a simple measure for the base to lend the farmers two no parking signs as a temporary measure. It would take all the hassle out of the situation. No having to constantly instruct or confront parking transgressors or constantly phoning up to report them.

TJ
Back to top Go down
thebluebeard

thebluebeard

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 09:25

Whilst I agree that joining 'Spotter Watch' is a first class idea, for the purpose for which it was designed. Im not sure that being a member will stop others from parking in the wrong place, leaving litter, putting ladders and steps against fences, damaging crops etc. Unless they are made aware by some means that is an unwritten spotters code, they will continue to act selfishly and without an ounce of common sense.
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-06-19, 13:05

I agree, bluebeard.

The same thing happens year after year at Waddington airshow arrivals with the farmers field at the A15 end. He is forever having to illegally park up himself and chase people out of the field and his crops. He doesn't like anyone in the field or even up the field edges. People just assume that they are doing no harm and use the field to get side on approach shots. Again another problem that could be alleviated with two simple 'no entry/keep out' signs. One at each end of the field hedge gaps.

TJ
Back to top Go down
boff180

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-04, 11:53

Hi guys,

Please keep your eyes out for a very sly individual in a Silver Bora; he is putting his ladder up against the fence but then taking it down again when nothing is flying. He left Thursday before Steve and his new heavy mob Cheers turned up for a chat sadly.

But I have no problem what so ever in "shaming" that person and posting a picture of their car so considerate spotters can be vigilent.

The mound. - Page 3 Mound01

On a side note it was good to see the Sgt of the new Army base defence unit taking a keen interest in the spotters and their needs and the advantages we can bring; full Kudos to Steve for laying down the groundwork for a very rosie future!

Andy

Last edited by boff180 on 2009-07-04, 14:22; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-04, 12:02

Who is he lads and ladettes ?
If he's a member of FC,he will very soon be an ex-member.PM's only please to any of the team,because that's not on.
Please help,because if that carries on then we won't be welcome at Coningsby.

I love this great hobby,it's only fun after all !

thebluebeard

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-04, 14:19

Careful - Naming and shaming is no bad idea - Im in favour of it, in principle, as it protects the rest of us. BUT be sure of your ground as you may open a can of worms if the miscreant decides to bite back. He/she has a great number of courses of action he might like to consider to take against the individual who 'names and shames'. If he/she is 'at it', then contact Steve and let the powers that be deal with it. Maybe the leaflet idea might be an alternative?. In this case it could have been 'placed' on his car anonymously? Everyone keeps their teeth.
Back to top Go down
Zebrdee

Zebrdee

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-04, 14:37

I've seen the ladders on the fence loads of times, never thought any more about it.

The mound. - Page 3 Fay81e

Might have been me stood on the mound, there's trees higher at the back there that would take a close lightning bolt but not recommended in an actual storm.
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-04, 14:45

The guy on the left is totally out of order,thanks for that.

Spotter Watch Member : YES

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-07, 05:26

i was there on the f15 deployment on the Monday when Zebrdee took this picture i had moved down there after the farmer bailed the grass, the guy on the left wasnt there but i see no problem with advising them in a friendly manner to start with and if they persist to do it then im sure most the locals and regulars would soon convince him to get off of it, as in a previous post in recent photos of mine, i made a note of an imaprticular moron parking in front of the access gate at crash gate 1 , despite there being a sign.
I do agree with maybe roping off the part at he mound to allow access to the field, but it goes to show that some peoples arrogance when visiting places goes beyond a 3 foot sign.

On this same day there was also another idiot leaning ladder against the fence on the main road where it got blown down , hopefully him and his gear got covered in that anti vandal paint or whatever it is. Unfortunately each time couldnt stop to 'kindly' point out the error of his ways due to traffic etc.

Perhaps rather than a leaflet most people respond better to kind suggestions if they still dont listen im sure military police with a gun in his face certantly will. i dont mind the use of ladders, i peronally never use then except for when alan let me go on his. Surely with soem of the gear people use now you can get just as good shots through some of the fences (not wood obviously) as with regards to parking at the mound , if its full then simple, park in viewing area and walk... the mound is not an official viewing area but one the farmer allows us to use, so it should be treat with that respect, perhaps the other idea to reduce parking could be that if there are people from i.e. like myself grimsby area to car share, i knwo it seems daft but i always try to and often do, this would reduce numebr of cars and build up few friendships with people that you often talk to but don realise its them when your shooting.

Just my thoughts people...
Back to top Go down
captain scarlet

captain scarlet

Spotter Watch Member : no

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-07, 06:16

Hello everyone,

i was also there on the monday and had a great time. Nice to meet many of you but why do some people have to try and spoil it for others? We've all got telephoto lenses so i'm sure you don't need to be up against a fence!

Rich
Back to top Go down
lblake

lblake

Spotter Watch Member : no

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty2009-07-07, 10:50

captain scarlet wrote:
We've all got telephoto lenses

You might have, but trust me not all of us have a long lens Crying
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The mound. - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The mound.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 3 of 5 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: East Midlands :: RAF Coningsby -