New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
JG71
Admin
Admin
JG71

Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Vide
PostSubject: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-03, 11:36

Gents

If you remember a few days ago i suggested doing a listing of pubs etc to eat and drink after our days number crunching or photography days.

Well some kind person has saved me the effort.Take a look at this web site www.qype.co.uk an excellent site.I have looked through the places i and my good mate Mr Figgis visit.And our favourite chip shop Chipmunks in Coningsby is included.

If anyone has any others favourite haunts they would like to share,please pm me.And i will add them to a growing list.

Many thanks.

Jim.

Last edited by Barksdale on 2009-05-05, 12:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.j79photography.webs.com
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-03, 17:35

Sorry I missed the request to PM you, I have put it right.
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

Spotter Watch Member : Yes I am!

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 02:52

Cool..Chipmunks online!! lol.

We would recommend the Crown Inn at Gayton. Not too far from Marham and a good pub with nice beer and reasonable grub. The lesser spotted LMP and retinue are often found in there - so it can't be bad!! Also, the Trout at Lechlade is quite nice for a pint after a day at FFD. Nice location with beer garden on the Thames. Quite often full of drunk aircrew at RIAT times!! :)

I shall PM you Jim with some others!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk
SNAPPER

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 05:24

The Valley Hotel, spookily enough just a couple of miles from RAF Valley. is an excellent stop-over either for a night stay or just for lunch. Excellent choice of food and drink and great room rates.

Caz ( an honorary ' Gent ' ?? ) ;)
Back to top Go down
http://www.flypastphotography.com
LIBERTY-48

Spotter Watch Member : YES

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 07:51

Any chance of adding local B+Bs or places to stay ???? :bounce:
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 09:36

Sorry I missed the request , but if you fancy a sit down when out and about in Lincs you can do a lot worse than to visit "The Bluebell" at Tattershall Thorpe , (I recommend the "Lincolnshire Ham and Eggs" and a pint of "Bomber County" or "Dambuster") It's between Woodhall Spa and Coningsby (About a mile and a half from CBY), real old wartime pilots pub and hang out of Guy Gibson et al, loads of memoribilia in there too , don't forget to look up and mind your head .

I have a phone number for them if any one is interested. (No I'm not connected to them in any way shape or form , my mate told me about it , and we tried it and liked it, and go there for lunch every time we go over )
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 09:41

If you want a stop over in the Mildenhall/ Marham/ Lakenheath area, then I recommend the Old Granary B and B at Stoke Ferry (PE33 9SF) Idealy situated for all three bases and exellent value (£46 for two nights including breakfast!!) I got a massive double ensuite for that price too!!
Back to top Go down
LIBERTY-48

Spotter Watch Member : YES

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 09:46

Thanks for that!! sounds just what im looking for. :)
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 09:53

PM me if you want the phone number or web address
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 10:22

Beefsteak wrote:
Sorry I missed the request , but if you fancy a sit down when out and about in Lincs you can do a lot worse than to visit "The Bluebell" at Tattershall Thorpe , (I recommend the "Lincolnshire Ham and Eggs" and a pint of "Bomber County" or "Dambuster") It's between Woodhall Spa and Coningsby (About a mile and a half from CBY), real old wartime pilots pub and hang out of Guy Gibson et al, loads of memoribilia in there too , don't forget to look up and mind your head .

I have a phone number for them if any one is interested. (No I'm not connected to them in any way shape or form , my mate told me about it , and we tried it and liked it, and go there for lunch every time we go over )

Keep meaning to go. Rather partial to a pint of Bomber!! Also, it looks so inviting as you drive past!
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-04, 10:38

If you are going to go "Mob handed" I recommend you book in advance, they really do look after you .
I took a party over on the 8th April, to get the first low level Typhoon rehearsal , and we didn't know which time it was going up , so I booked us in at the Bluebell for 12 noon, and we were seated and the grub was on the table for 1/4 past!! plenty of time to scoff and scarper back to CBY (As it happened the Tyffie went up at 8 so we got the early show any way !!!) In time to shoot of to East Kirkby for 'Just Jane' at 1
Back to top Go down
JG71
Admin
Admin
JG71

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-05, 12:13

http://www.pubsulike.co.uk/

Firstly,thankyou to all you Ladies and Gents that have pm'd me so far.This is going really well and i am very happy at the response i have received.

At the top you will see a link to a site i have been looking at today.Some of you have asked me what about B&B's,well i have the perfect answer stay in a pub lol.Seriously though the link gives you a section into which you can place a location for pubs which have a B&B facility.

I am going to keep this topic open.And further more my intention is to produce a guide.And if all goes well,put my PR head on and try for some discount for members.

Thanks for your efforts

Jim.
Back to top Go down
GreenBat

GreenBat

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-05, 12:32

Just an idea, but how about putting a "Sticky" in each of the Stations in the Airfields Section, I think it would be very useful if you are travelling to an airfield yo are not to familiar with. :?: Laughing
Back to top Go down
JG71
Admin
Admin
JG71

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-05, 13:00

I will suggest this to the team thankyou.
Back to top Go down
sjnovis

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-06, 06:06

The Trout at Lechlade also has a Camping/Caravan site next door, would it be possible to add nearby camp sites to this list?
Back to top Go down
JG71
Admin
Admin
JG71

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-06, 06:23

I will work on that one today and find a link or similar.

Jim.
Back to top Go down
60163tornado

PostSubject: B&B for Spadeadam. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-05-12, 14:27

There are numerous B & B establishments within 2to 3 miles of Spade.

The nearest Howard House Farm 2 miles from Wiley Syke B & B only (Cumbrian Miles)

The next also 2 miles Gilsland Spa Hotel owned by the Co-op they do nice inexpensive

lunches and dinners.

This is my favourite Bush Nook Guest house 4 miles from Wiley Syke but has commanding

views over most of Spadeadam Range, B & B and Dinner not to be missed.

Warton. Obviously there are a huge amount of Hotels and Guest Houses in St Annes 6 miles

and Blackpool 9 miles. There are also a number of nearby cafes in Lytham St Annes 3 miles

and my favourite is Dizzy Ducks owned and run by former England Rugby Union player,

Wade Dooley and his wife Sharon the food is excellent and Dizzy Ducks is about 2 miles from

the BAE Warton main gate.

I would welcome comments from individuals who have visited these establishments on my

recommendation. ( this will enable me to get a free coffee)
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 09:49

Our caravan at RAF Cottesmore. Usually has a well stocked fridge / drinks bar!! lol..Soon to be seen near RAF Waddington for the airshow week!! Whistle
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 11:57

We're taking our knackered old camper-van to Kempsford again this year,just a shame only 2 of the maids can come along this year.

Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. IMG_2032
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 12:20

Flaps wrote:
We're taking our knackered old camper-van to Kempsford again this year,just a shame only 2 of the maids can come along this year.

Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. IMG_2032

Crikey, that puts us to shame!! lol Nice one, we'll look out for you!
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 12:54

His is the one on the left!!

And I am not going to be your maid !!.....LOL
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 13:15

Beefsteak wrote:
His is the one on the left!!

And I am not going to be your maid !!.....LOL

But....................you promised............ Crying
Back to top Go down
boff180

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 13:37

Hmm, I'll have to see about borrowing a campervan for next year lol.

There is always the Cold Harbor at Blunsdon plus a Pizza Hut and Maccy D's just inside Swindon.

Although; I'm staying here all week this year, posh nosh and only 6 miles from Blue Car Park! Clap

Andy
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 14:00

That's not our camper-van,wouldn't it be nice though !!

This is the real Kempsford Hilton..........................................

Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. IMG_2001
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty2009-06-13, 14:46

Phew Mr Flaps..that makes us feel better!! Maybe see you on our travels!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK. Empty

Back to top Go down

Places to eat and drink near airfields in the UK.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Other Military Aviation related matter -