New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A question on photography rights

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

A question on photography rights - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: A question on photography rights A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty2009-04-27, 06:01

A request was made in 2008 to educate the Police in what the rights are in terms of Photography in public places.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7351252.stm
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: A question on photography rights A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty2009-04-27, 09:54

Think StreetHawk has clarified the position as best as possible and Rob's question has been answered. As I said before, don't let persons like the one Rob encountered intimidate you, otherwise this sort of thing will continue or get worse. You could always run-off a copy of the above legal information and keep it in your camera bag and wave that at anyone who gives you any trouble. If they still persist, at least you know that you have every right to seek an official apology from the person concerned. Even the Police will officially apologise if they can be shown to have overstepped their mark - I know that from personal experience!

As Rob mentioned, I'd also support a request to make a "sticky" on photographer's rights - and responsibilities.
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

PostSubject: Thanks A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty2009-04-28, 10:43

Thanks to the FC team for making this a very useful sticky.

A quick question to Street Hawk or anyone else who might know: I take it that, with the exception of the new anti-terrorism laws, the legal guidelines in Linda McPherson's 2004 article (www.sirimo.co.uk/media/UKPhotographersRights.pdf) haven't changed?
Back to top Go down
48thEagle

PostSubject: Re: A question on photography rights A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty2009-04-28, 10:54

Aileron wrote:
i know that they can ask you to delete your pictures but can they confiscate your equipment?

They can ask you to delete your pictures, but it is my understanding that no police officer has the right to expect you to do so, if there is sufficient reason to suspect that the pictures taken are illegal, then the pictures should then be considered evidence, so should not be deleted to provide proof in any further legal action.
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

PostSubject: Re: A question on photography rights A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty2009-04-28, 11:28

Case Law is supposed to be Statutory. Therefore it takes precident over everything else.

However unless National Security is deemed at risk, then this can be over ruled.

This is the grey area, but this is where we as photographers who partake in this hobby have an ace up our sleeve as it has been recorded (see above) that during parliamentary question time that members of the public do have such rights.

But it is illegal for someone to take your camera off you on a public highway.

That is classed as theft, and even if the person grabs your arm, or even brushes any part of you or your clothing, that is classed as Battery, ( Common Assault )

Battery can be comitted directly or indirectly.

However the Camera Club established since 1885 as my grandad was a member for 50 years, also have a page dedicated to Linda's guide and other rights that photographers have.

http://www.thecameraclub.co.uk/rights.php
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

PostSubject: Re: A question on photography rights A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty2009-04-28, 11:31

It is illegal for authority to ask you to delete your images, as they have to issue you with a warrant.

Therefore they have to go to Judge or Sheriff, with your name and current address and a reason to issue the warrant.

Somewhat difficult.

48thEagle wrote:
Aileron wrote:
i know that they can ask you to delete your pictures but can they confiscate your equipment?

They can ask you to delete your pictures, but it is my understanding that no police officer has the right to expect you to do so, if there is sufficient reason to suspect that the pictures taken are illegal, then the pictures should then be considered evidence, so should not be deleted to provide proof in any further legal action.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question on photography rights A question on photography rights - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A question on photography rights

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 2 Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Photography Discussion -