New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bingo Revisited

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-06, 16:01

Without wishing to re-ignite any arguments from last year, having spent a superb day at Coningsby today the word BINGO appeared again. This morning, Coningsby's DATIS clearly announced Bingo followed by the display times for the Hurricane, Spitfire and Typhoon. And sure enough.....

Just before anyone replies, I'd like to make a few things clear:

1. Yes, I am well aware of the standard meaning of the word in relation to fuel status.

2. I suggest there may be an alternative meaning that is unique to Coningsby, crazy as that sounds.

3. Any doubters/sceptics, fine. However, now that displays are under way, I'd rather hear from people who will be actually visiting the Base.

4. For those interested, Coningsby's DATIS frequency is: 280.30

If Graham is reading this, I'd be grateful if he could get a definitive answer from the Base.

If the gentleman driving the dark blue Rover 75, who I met today at Crash Gate 4 would like contribute, please do.
Back to top Go down
seeker33

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-06, 16:11

It is an interesting subject this.

I'm hoping to be at Coningsby tomorrow. Will see what crops up.

Busy day today?
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-06, 16:42

Cracking day! - Apart from the 3 displays, in addition to the Typhoons there were: a couple of Alpha Jets which stayed awhile before departing late in the afternoon; two F-15s did a nice low flyover (they may also have done an earlier one, picked them up on Coningsby frequency on the way down); after a lot of busying around the only Harrier on show (41 Sqn) took off late afternoon; plus the Lancaster was out all day, very close to the fence.
Back to top Go down
bolty

bolty

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-06, 16:48

I was there twice last week Tuesday and Wednesday both days on Datis bingo + 10 was give out during the times the BBMF were down to practice from memory were

11.30-12.15
13.45-2.30
+ another i cant remember off the top of my head

Tuesday a Hurricane performed a display around 15.00 and Wednesday a Spitfire multiple practice displays 3 alone in the 13.45-2.30

More info here http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=7AAEC05D-1143-EC82-2E476230468AE12E

So i'm guess it mean they need 10 extra fuel when returning to base during above time.
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-06, 17:03

Thanks for the reply bolty. BBMF's schedule didn't run as published - Hurricane's morning spot was longer. Also, the three afternoon displays didn't go ahead.
Back to top Go down
bolty

bolty

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-06, 17:17

The 41 Sqn Harrier that went out (Rebel82) spent 40 mins on RAF Holbeach doing hot and cold passes on target 2 with CRV7? rockets :)
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-10, 11:37

Anyone else have any comments based on Coningsby experience.....?
Back to top Go down
vulcan558
vulcan558

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-10, 13:53

My hunch on the Bingo would be along the lines of the Bingo fuel status,
The BBMF i understand have priority when they are in and around the circuit.

Bingo could be for RTB frontliners that they have fuel to hold or divert if at bingo
when the BBMF are in the pattern.

Just a hunch so could be all wrong as to the meaning they are useing Bingo. :scratch: :scratch:
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 06:28

It is in relation to fuel. I had it confirmed by a pilot that I know on base. The BINGO + 10 warning requires that the pilot (non displaying) must have 10 minutes of holding fuel during those display slots.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 07:01

TEEJ wrote:
It is in relation to fuel. I had it confirmed by a pilot that I know on base. The BINGO + 10 warning requires that the pilot (non displaying) must have 10 minutes of holding fuel during those display slots.

TJ

That makes sense. - In the context of when displays at Coningsby are mentioned on DATIS, I and others only hear the Bingo call. i.e. there is no actual "Display Time" called. The only indication of one is the Bingo announcement. That is the purpose of this thread, to get to the bottom of the correlation.

The idea was to use the DATIS as a form of semi-advanced warning for anyone able nip over that day to see any Typhoon or BBMF displays. Using myself as an example: I'm within 1.5 hrs drive of Coningsby and, being self-employed, should be able to drive down for a visit if I heard (indirectly; I'm out of DATIS range) there was going to be a Typhoon display at 1pm that day. Provided of course, some kind FC or UKAR member who was local posted.
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 07:32

I dug out my scanner for my trip on Wednesday. I normally don't use a scanner. The DATIS broadcast provided the BINGO + 10 warning followed by the time slots in GMT/UTC/Zulu time. That tied in for the 0700Z (0800local) Typhoon practice slot. There was no 12Z (1300local) Typhoon display and that time wasn't broadcast.

There was a number of BINGO +10 warnings with times that ranged from mid-morning all the way through to late afternoon. This was broadcast from 0800local. Each of them covered a 45minute period. All were subsequently cancelled during the next DATIS updates as the wind was gusting and would have been outside the limits for BBMF. As announced by Kevin (Milky01) the Lanc didn't get up until tea time.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 08:32

Thanks for the replies Tom. I hope the Typhoon display you saw on Wednesday was as good as the one we witnessed on Monday. You can see what I'm trying to achieve, hopefully to the benefit of other members too. Although, given the amount of people who visit Coningsby and who've read this thread, I'm rather disappointed with the lack-lustre response. No doubt they're happy to benefit from any positives, but unwilling to contribute.

Just so I'm clear on your posts, are you saying there is no link? Or, at least if there is, it's buried in with other Bingo calls?
Back to top Go down
NeilD

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 08:56

text deleted as I obviously dont know what I am talking about... :x

Last edited by NeilD on 2009-04-11, 14:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 09:25

Yes, definately a link. I've only heard the one DATIS broadcast so not sure if every broadcast has the times? I would imagine it would be a bit pointless if the times were not broadcast? The broadcast that I heard read "BINGO +10 0700-0730Z, 0900-0945Z, 1500-1545Z". On each subsequent update the next upcoming BINGO +10 time was omitted. Obviously the decision was taken to cancel the BBMF displays due to the gusting winds. By lunchtime the broadcasts contained no BINGOs messages as the wind was still gusting.

It appears that the broadcast is only switched on just before 0800local. So no prior warning of an intended early morning Typhoon display. I would offer to tip you off, but I don't use a mobile.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 09:49

TEEJ wrote:
It appears that the broadcast is only switched on just before 0800local. So no prior warning of an intended early morning Typhoon display. I would offer to tip you off, but I don't use a mobile.

That's one of the problems, you only get short notice on the day. So, a spontaneous trip would have to be worthwhile.

I'm with you on the mobile. However, if you or anyone happen to be listening early to the DATIS and hear......, a PM or post on FC would be very welcome. :)
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 13:49

Hillwalker wrote:
However, if you or anyone happen to be listening early to the DATIS and hear......, a PM or post on FC would be very welcome. :)
Extending the idea: With permission of the moderators I'd like to suggest opening a thread where scanner listeners living in the Coningsby area, or those visiting the Base who have mobile internet facility, volunteer any reports of Bingo call times heard (in local time) in order to give other members a heads-up.

If acceptable, I'd open a topic heading called simply: 'Bingo Times' in the Coningsby section. If the idea falls flat on it's face, so be it, but if anyone is willing to contribute with posts, I for one would be most grateful.
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 13:54

Sorry I'm not sold on the idea! :|

Still need convincing that there's anything more than standard "bingo" and "bingo +" fuel calls and fuel states here?
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 14:01

GOOSE wrote:

Still need convincing that there's anything more than standard "bingo" and "bingo +" fuel calls and fuel states here?

Then why not let others who visit the Base see what the link is? - I see no harm.
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 15:29

Hillwalker wrote:
GOOSE wrote:

Then why not let others who visit the Base see what the link is? - I see no harm.

So why ask for a moderator opinion if you have no intention of listening to said opinion. If you feel you have a genuine case, then post it. If it's going to help others then post it. Don't get defensive just because someone may not agree with you. ;)
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
gixrgill

gixrgill

Spotter Watch Member : no

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: bingo Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-11, 18:35

ive lived at coningsby for 2years now, and have listened to many a conversation, and also DATIS. I simply believe that it is a warning to pilots to carry extra fuel during that period so that they can hold off till any planned display has finished. when bingo times are cancelled this means that they dont need to do this. you do get the odd one with fuel priority who has to RTB during a display but in general they get them in between displays. Hope this helps
Gill
Back to top Go down
exleckie

exleckie

Spotter Watch Member : no

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-12, 02:19

Asked a friend of mine who is a Controller about Bingo+10 and he said and I quote

" Bingo is mentioned in the DATIS to give crews recovering or departing a headsup of the display times over the airfield. Bingo+10 for example requires crews, not displaying, to have 10 minutes holding time (of fuel) on top of their normal BINGO fuel (ie the time that they have to recover to get back to base ,fly an approach, or divert to the div aerodrome if they cannot get in to CGY."

HTH

Neil
Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-12, 03:13

Hillwalker wrote:
Extending the idea: With permission of the moderators I'd like to suggest opening a thread where scanner listeners living in the Coningsby area, or those visiting the Base who have mobile internet facility, volunteer any reports of Bingo call times heard (in local time) in order to give other members a heads-up.

If acceptable, I'd open a topic heading called simply: 'Bingo Times' in the Coningsby section. If the idea falls flat on it's face, so be it, but if anyone is willing to contribute with posts, I for one would be most grateful.

GOOSE wrote:
Hillwalker wrote:
GOOSE wrote:

So why ask for a moderator opinion if you have no intention of listening to said opinion. If you feel you have a genuine case, then post it. If it's going to help others then post it. Don't get defensive just because someone may not agree with you. ;)

I wasn't aware I was getting "defensive." I simply thought it courteous to ask a moderator before opening my proposed thread. Your initial post indicated a refusal. I queried the refusal, not your opinion.
GOOSE wrote:

Back to top Go down
Hillwalker

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty2009-04-12, 03:19

Thanks for the replies Gill and Neil. Judging by the amount of views this topic has received, there seems enough interest to open a dedicated thread. I will open one tomorrow (Monday) night in the Coningsby section and see how it pans out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bingo Revisited Vide
PostSubject: Re: Bingo Revisited Bingo Revisited Empty

Back to top Go down

Bingo Revisited

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: East Midlands :: RAF Coningsby -