New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brilliant!

View previous topic View next topic Go down
HaveQuick2

HaveQuick2

Spotter Watch Member : No

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 03:06

I just noticed a fantastic facility on the site.

I have become increasingly irritated by the inane drivel and pointless and irrelevant comments spouted by some of the posters over the last few weeks, so I was wondering if there was a way of blocking or ignoring them.

And yes there is. Go into your Profile, and select Friends and Foes. Then in the Foes selection add in the usernames that are wasting bandwidth and you are good to go.

All the threads now seem so much slicker, relevant and concise.

(Oh, and if some of these particular posters want to slate me for this, don't bother as I won't see it!)

Well done the Admins for including this facility.
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 03:45

Your very welcome.

I have tested this and found that some of the posts seem lost in translation.

However being admin, obviously I need to see the full picture.

Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
gonk

gonk

Spotter Watch Member : yes

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: not very friendly Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 03:56

This sound a bit play ground ish, i may disagree with some ones opinion and them me but in no way label them an enemy or as you put it a foe,the whole idea as i thought was to share information and to promote a friendly forum, and not to start some sort of elitist click
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 04:00

Well said,gonk.
Back to top Go down
Aileron

Aileron

Spotter Watch Member : no

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 04:13

on here yesterday there was and incident in the g20 posts now removed by a mod but some one stating to be a terrorist blah blah blah cut long story short for people like this its a good idea and on the other hand i agree with flaps and gonk. but there will always be one person where ever we go forum/moving house/town that is nasty and unfriendly and that we would like to avoid these types of people
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 04:19

Everyone has their opinion.

But I think HQ2's philosophy in terms of wasting bandwidth, refers to those who constantly post rubbish to increase their number of posts. Hence why he is using this part of the forum.

But as I have said, when following a thread with blocked users it does look lost in translation.

I do get complaints on a daily basis about people just posting rubbish mainly to increase their posts, and I also get complaints from people who are posting mis-information or posting information from other sources and claiming it as their own.

We can only act if it is proven as such. The mods are constantly removing or editing posts on a daily basis.

In terms of being elitist. FC was put together so people can share information, however if people don't want to view or share information, that is up them.

The local groups have always been around and it is them that put the barriers up in not sharing information. They are the ones that are to blame.

We are lucky that we have a few people from the old forum who have re-registered to share with us their info.

There is only so much we can do.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
gonk

gonk

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: playground Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 04:51

The whole idea of putting in place a system of being able to label some one as an enemy is wholly wrong , what is next race creed, or colour, if you don't like what you hear ignore it, as for number of posts,remove mine to zero, i am not here to collect badges,i am here for the hobby of aviation nothing else.Just off subject a bit i hope aileron bit on the terrorist was dealt with by the police,messing about or not could get this forum and members a bad name.Who gave HQ2s the right to decide what is rubbish and what is not,you are dealing with people here with differing abilities and educational back grounds who genuinely want to participate on this forum.Steethawk how can you say that it cannot be elitist,by having a system that blocks people and labels them as an ENEMY is saying to those and there friends who use it , that some one is second class ,and they are the foremost authority on every thing
Back to top Go down
Aileron

Aileron

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 04:59

im sorry gonk i dont know how it was delt with the post was removed as was mine as i picked up on it
what about just calling it and ignore list or blocked list just like we have on msn messenger
Back to top Go down
jingernut
Admin
Admin
jingernut

Spotter Watch Member : NO

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:01

gonk wrote:
The whole idea of putting in place a system of being able to label some one as an enemy is wholly wrong , what is next race creed, or colour, if you don't like what you hear ignore it, as for number of posts,remove mine to zero, i am not here to collect badges,i am here for the hobby of aviation nothing else.Just off subject a bit i hope aileron bit on the terrorist was dealt with by the police,messing about or not could get this forum and members a bad name.Who gave HQ2s the right to decide what is rubbish and what is not,you are dealing with people here with differing abilities and educational back grounds who genuinely want to participate on this forum.Steethawk how can you say that it cannot be elitist,by having a system that blocks people and labels them as an ENEMY is saying to those and there friends who use it , that some one is second class ,and they are the foremost authority on every thing

I don't know if you have got the wrong end of the stick with regards to how the system works but only the person blocking someone else knows about it, so how can this make it elitist? All it is doing is stopping their posts from being displayed for that person, not everyone. If I didn't want to see your posts, I add you to the list and voila. That is all it is.

It's that persons choice to block someone if they like.
Back to top Go down
http://www.airband.info
Aileron

Aileron

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:03

i think gonk is tring to point out more on the fact FOE means enemy!!!

Foe \Foe\ (f[=o]), n. [OE. fo, fa, AS. f[=a]h hostile; prob.

1. See Fiend, and cf. Feud a
quarrel.]

1. One who entertains personal enmity, hatred, grudge, or
malice, against another; an enemy.
A man's foes shall be they of his own household.
--Matt. x. 36
2. An enemy in war; a hostile army.
3. One who opposes on principle; an opponent; an adversary;
an ill-wisher; as, a foe to religion.
A foe to received doctrines. --I. Watts
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:07

Gonk,
The forum host put in the friend/foe system and FC just chose to use it.
Every forum (major anyway) has a similar system in place. As does MSN Messenger, AOL AIM, Yahoo IM and so on.
It enables people to block others who they find are abusive and so on. If they find the feature useful for other reasons (like HQ2 has done) then FC cannot stop that.

It is no way elitest, if it is, then every forum and every messenger service is the same.

The friend/foe bit could be worded better but that's nothing to do with FC and beyond our control.

The original system is in place on Pprune and other forums whereby if someone is abusive or plainly (deliberate) spamming or flaming threads then people can block out that particular person.

As for post counts, again every forum has this problem. FC1 had it big time. People posting so much stuff which just wasn't informative or even related to the forum just to get their post count up.

No finger pointing going on and no particular threads or members mentioned.
If someone wants to block another person for whatever reason then i see no reason not to have the feature included.

Aileron, we all know what Foe means, no need to drag it on. Like i said, the feature is there for members to use if they wish, you don't have to use it, you don't have to worry about it because every forum you are a member of, has the same blooming feature!!

Blown out of proportion i think.

As for the offending post regarding the G20 summit thread, yes it was deleted rather quickly. No it won't be repeated on what was said.
Back to top Go down
tommc

tommc

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:18

Well spotted HQ2, and a good call.

This thread itself only goes to prove the value of such a facility.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Aileron

Aileron

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:21

Razor61 wrote:
Gonk,
The forum host put in the friend/foe system and FC just chose to use it.
Every forum (major anyway) has a similar system in place. As does MSN Messenger, AOL AIM, Yahoo IM and so on.
It enables people to block others who they find are abusive and so on. If they find the feature useful for other reasons (like HQ2 has done) then FC cannot stop that.

It is no way elitest, if it is, then every forum and every messenger service is the same.

The friend/foe bit could be worded better but that's nothing to do with FC and beyond our control.

The original system is in place on Pprune and other forums whereby if someone is abusive or plainly (deliberate) spamming or flaming threads then people can block out that particular person.

As for post counts, again every forum has this problem. FC1 had it big time. People posting so much stuff which just wasn't informative or even related to the forum just to get their post count up.

No finger pointing going on and no particular threads or members mentioned.
If someone wants to block another person for whatever reason then i see no reason not to have the feature included.

Aileron, we all know what Foe means, no need to drag it on. Like i said, the feature is there for members to use if they wish, you don't have to use it, you don't have to worry about it because every forum you are a member of, has the same blooming feature!!

Blown out of proportion i think.

As for the offending post regarding the G20 summit thread, yes it was deleted rather quickly. No it won't be repeated on what was said.

razor i was not dragging it on at all i was merely stating a simple fact.
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:34

Okay and i'll make this fact simple too...
If you don't like the feature, don't use it. It's there for other members to use it if they feel the need too.
This forum caters for everyone. If someone finds someone elses posts a little boring, or abusive, or whatever the reason then the feature is there to cater for them.

It will then make their life happier on the forum and stop them moaning about other peoples posts because it will simply stop them seeing the offending posts in the first place. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

If you feel the need to complain further, please contact forumotion, the FC hosts and directly complain about their 'friend/foe' system, perhaps ask them to change it to a more appropiately worded system.

I really can't see a problem here. It's being blown way out of proportion and those complaining are simply not understanding that it is 'not' FC who worded it.
Back to top Go down
gonk

gonk

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: foe Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 05:40

As always good points made razor,but in my opinion that system can and will be misused,as for the remark of how can it be misused,by pm ing people and making the suggestion, and you are depriving people of information that may enlighten them,not system i intend to use as all comment's should be openly aired, as for the point system get rid of it , i dont think it will bother many.
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 06:00

If someone has a problem with another member then they should contact Admin/Moderators about it or do it personally by PM and get it sorted privately.
It is in no way beneficial to the forum to have peoples problems aired in public. It will then become abusive or the like and will only get deleted or locked.

The friend/foe system comes into play here. If you find someone being abusive to you or you find that member just generally getting on your nerves then it works fine.
If someone is abusive towards you, then i would see that as being a 'foe'. Would you not?

We have over 2000 members each with differing opinions, each has different attitudes, some angry, some pleasant, some annoying, some not... so each member has to have a system whereby they can block out certain content if they wish without stating it in public by posting abusive comments or having a slagging match.
If they use the Foe system then they can't see those people who annoy them or abuse them in any way (hopefully just words :affraid: ) so then there would be nothing to worry about because if you can't see what is being written then you can't moan or abuse.

The Friend/Foe system doesn't work in the way that if you click on a load of members and add them as friend, what you say can only be seen by those particular people (or atleast i hope not) as that is not what FC is about.

As said, it's about numerous aspects of aviation enthusiasts getting what they want/need from other people and sharing it.
If members 'choose' to be elitest or in certain cliques, we can't do much about it. It's their problem and their attitude.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 06:16

I find the friend/foe system to work well. It allows me to block posts by one member whom I find immature and irritating - the facility may come in handy again at some point. Well done admins.
Back to top Go down
HaveQuick2

HaveQuick2

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 06:25

gonk wrote:

Err Gonk, I'm not sure you fully understand what my original post was about. You seem to have taken an unnecessarily extreme reaction to what is in actual fact just a very simple way to weed out irrelevant comments by ignoring certain posters.
The fact that it is called Friend and Foe is perhaps an unfortunate phrase, but that is how it is set up in the system.
Nobody is labelling anyone as anything, it is just the phrasing that the system uses. If you don't like it or have an interest in it then just don't use it, simple.

I was just making a polite post to let others know about the facility, that is all.

And to be honest, if I decide that as far as I am concerned someone is posting rubbish, then that is up to me to decide. I can simply ignore that person and I'm happy. It is not as if I have then gone screaming all over the forum that I strongly disgree with someones comments or views, in the hope of becoming some sort of super-poster or trying to rasie an argument, I just quietly get on and ignore them.

Anyway........
Back to top Go down
madcat11

madcat11

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty2009-03-31, 06:30

Can't see what the fuss is about personally. If some body doesn't want to read my posts and decides to block me it's no skin off my nose.

Can we let it lie???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brilliant! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Brilliant! Brilliant! Empty

Back to top Go down

Brilliant!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Technical -