New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BBMF raise the nations eyebrows!

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Vide
PostSubject: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty2009-09-30, 17:17

Here's one that will grab you even if (like me) you're not a particular fan of WWII aircraft. It seems (according to reports, rumours and at least one leading magazine) that the BBMF are planning to give-away Hurricane LF363!

I kid you not - it seems that there's a proposal to give it to India in exchange for a partially-restored Mk.1 Hurricane. Now, it might sound very nice to be acquiring a more "historic" Hurricane but LF363 is a very historic aircraft in its own right - it's almost an institution. People's jaws are already dropping at the very idea and personally I think it's an astonishingly ill-advised idea. The notion that 363 is virtually all new-build is wrong, and if the BBMF think that concentrating on BofB-era aircraft is their priority, then I'm sure some of the purse-holders will be asking what they're bothering to operate Mk.19 Spits and a Lancaster for. Likewise, they might also argue that if the BBMF has the funds and resources to take-on the part-restoration of an aircraft when they don't have to, then they're possibly a little over-funded. I can see this story is going to run and run!
Back to top Go down
sjnovis

PostSubject: Re: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty2009-10-01, 03:56

I think the BBMF currently have 2 Hurricanes, to lose and airworthy aircraft in exchange for a restoration job
and considering the importance of the Hurricane during the Batle of Britain, it does seem strange.
Back to top Go down
vulcan558
vulcan558

PostSubject: Re: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty2009-10-01, 07:32

Will the Hurricane if sent to India be turned in to a static museum piece.
As i would have thought that giveing away the airframe is a drastic measure ,
even more drastic would be to give away a very good Merlin engine .

Do they not pull the engines from the Huricanes or spits to get the Lanc out of bother dureing the season if they have some engine problems with the old girl.

If they do give the whole package to india then the new restoration will need a good flight status Merlin also.

Just seems a lot to give away to me.
Back to top Go down
Sheff

Sheff

PostSubject: Re: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty2009-10-01, 07:39

The story seems a bit unclear at the moment (lots of conflicting comments) but it seems as if India would/will fly the aircraft. BBMF seem to like the idea because it would give them a more representative Hurricane.

It's all very well, but even though 363 isn't a particularly historic airframe it's been a famous part of Britain's aviation scene for decades so it's an icon in its own right. But more to the point, I think this idea of swapping and restoring aircraft is a dodgy business. The BBMF are always under scrutiny and this kind of thing just gives the impression that they have more resources than they actually need. Probably not true of course but it gives that impression and I would think that this is hardly the time to be embarking on ideas like this.
Back to top Go down
Unknown

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty2009-10-01, 09:14

This is the strangest and wierdest story I've ever heard personally hope it's not true........
Back to top Go down
Dan D'Air

Dan D'Air

PostSubject: Re: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty2009-10-01, 14:46

It surprised me when I heard about this, but the UK has received historic aircraft from India for museums in the past, so, maybe there is a bigger picture that we have not been made aware of. BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! 966718
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! BBMF raise the nations eyebrows! Empty

Back to top Go down

BBMF raise the nations eyebrows!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Other Military Aviation related matter -