New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform'

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Dunk
Admin
Admin
Dunk

Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Vide
PostSubject: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-27, 21:57

Nice to see the Aviation enthusiasts getting some support and making front page on the BBC website!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8273430.stm

With the push for a similar project at Brize, I think the message is finally getting across!

Dunk
Back to top Go down
http://www.vividmule.com
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 00:12

The campaign has been going much longer than the five years the BBC quotes. It lost momentum when no longer an election issue with local councillors.

Previously published plans included a car park, shop/cafe etc., to be jointly financed by the RAF, Local Authority etc.
Back to top Go down
onemac

onemac

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 02:30

HighlandSniper wrote:
The campaign has been going much longer than the five years the BBC quotes. It lost momentum when no longer an election issue with local councillors.

Previously published plans included a car park, shop/cafe etc., to be jointly financed by the RAF, Local Authority etc.
Rob - it's the Business Association that has been pushing for a visitors centre and more particularly those from the Association seeking election as a local councillor. The last set of plans I saw were for the centre and 'viewing platform' to be situated along from the main gate Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 727888 but with construction of the creche and medical centre since then I think the onus has shifted to the end of 05.

Honourable mention for FC though... Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 687308

Al
Back to top Go down
Dunk
Admin
Admin
Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 02:40

onemac wrote:
Honourable mention for FC though... Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 687308

Al

Always nice to get some press and a link on the BBC website lol Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 711487
Back to top Go down
http://www.vividmule.com
Michael Leek
Michael Leek

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 03:23

Yes; it is positive to receive good press from the likes of the BBC, but as to a spotters platform at Lossie I'm not so sure of its value. The platform and shelter at Kinloss, whilst welcome, is not in the best of positions to either watch the aircraft or, worse, to photograph them from - shooting into the sun (when it's out!), and, for the majority of the time, only capturing under-side shots. At present there are many locations around Lossie that more than meet the needs of spotters without interfering with the station's activities or, indeed, security, or farmers land. Would a dedicated spotters platform then result in security moving those located elsewhere to move on, even though on public land?

It would be a shame for Lossie to go the way of Leuchars, where the new fence - in readiness for enhanced security when Typhoon is stationed there - has ruined many opportunities spotters had to photograph the aircraft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelleek.co.uk
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 04:28

onemac wrote:
HighlandSniper wrote:

Rob - it's the Business Association that has been pushing for a visitors centre and more particularly those from the Association seeking election as a local councillor. The last set of plans I saw were for the centre and 'viewing platform' to be situated along from the main gate Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 727888 but with construction of the creche and medical centre since then I think the onus has shifted to the end of 05.

Al

A visitor centre close to the main gate would be utterly pointless. Why doesn't it surprise me that the recent re-emergence of this is connected to some idiot's political agenda. Were the "platform" to be at either end of Rwy 23 it might be worthwhile, but otherwise it would be a waste of time. I've been spotting/photographing at Lossie since the early seventies without any outside help, and unless something practical and properly situated is on offer, I can see no point in it whatsoever.

Oh, and speaking of local authority involvement with the local bases, apparently The Moray Council is trying to get the Nimrod removed from display at Kinloss claiming that its position near to the road contravenes planning regulations. I also believe that XV240 may be replaced by a different airframe.
Back to top Go down
Michael Leek
Michael Leek

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 04:38

HighlanderSniper:

I came across the displayed Nimrod by accident last week, when I took a detour home via Kinloss (glimpsed two Hercules on the ramp) last Thursday. Why Moray Council should have an issue with its location when it's within the station's fence and the public ground is sufficiently deep enough for it not to be a distraction from the public road is beyond me. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the ground between the fence and the public road is in fact MoD land and therefore ot of the Council's duristriction - it's probably the site of a former crash gate. There's plenty of space for people to park and not cause a hold-up. But then the revelations about Moray Council's incompetence over the recent floods means their stance over the Nimrod doesn't come as any surprise!
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelleek.co.uk
onemac

onemac

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 06:35

HighlandSniper wrote:
.... apparently The Moray Council is trying to get the Nimrod removed from display at Kinloss claiming that its position near to the road contravenes planning regulations.

Michael Leek wrote:
But then the revelations about Moray Council's incompetence over the recent floods means their stance over the Nimrod doesn't come as any surprise!

Oi! I work for Moray Council and we're not incompetent - we're supremely incompetent Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 687308 Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 687308

I can tell you that the Nimrod is on MOD Operational Land and therefore needs no Planning Permission. Where there is debate is the roadway outside the crash gate where pepole stop to take pics - Council reckon it needs a change of use Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' 345990

Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' IMG_1228_800_web

Al

EDIT - just had a memo through regarding the Community Councils. They are currently in abeyance until the middle of October. I fancy this is the reason for the political resurrection of the 'spotters platform'.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 07:10

Agreed - my source (within the base) told me exactly that, it is the area outwith the base fence which is in contention. I'm also told that a grey a/c may be substituted in due course.
Back to top Go down
Squadron Prints

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 12:04

Lossiemouth Business Association has been pushing for this for many
many years - somewhere in my office I even have a copy of drawings for
a proposed visitors centre which was particularly ambitious and
included a coffee shop, information and a shop and was to be hopefully
located at the 23 end between the engine bay and the golf course
but clearly they DO need the views of the enthusiasts - afterall they are the
people who will use it but it was also planned to be a "Tourist Attraction".

We were asked to go to look at a sight last year and it is in the
wrong position for photographers but might be ok for folk just wanting
to sit and watch but you could only see the 05 end and the 23 end
wasn't in view! It is a bit like Lakenheath Spotters Park - shooting
in to the sun all day until later in the afternoon - I personally feel
they don't need a specific platform at Lossiemouth - all they need is
to try to place a tarmac area at the 23 end and an area both sides of
the 05 end for convenient parking so that cars are not on the road.
Kinloss made the effort too but that is not the best for all
enthusiasts! Perhaps those of you who visit Lossiemouth on a regular
basis or live there will pop in to Tony's shop and let him and the Business
Association know what YOU would like!

Wish something could be done at Leuchars too - again, many years ago
it was talked about and there was a project on going about Civilian
Airliners using Leuchars with a proper terminal being built and again
we had a input regarding the shop and what enthusiasts would like but
that project was shelved a long time ago!
Back to top Go down
http://www.squadronprints.com
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 13:47

Where is Tony's shop? Is he genuinely interested or is he just using this to further his own ambitions in local government?
Back to top Go down
Squadron Prints

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 14:13

Buckley's Newsagents on Queen Street in Lossiemouth - member of the Lossiemouth Business Association but not sure if he is planning on standing for an election - haven't been up for a while. He is ex RAF and a nice chap! I think he is just trying to benefit the Lossiemouth Area and as it attracts a lot of people to watch the aircraft I think he just wants to try to provide somewhere for them whether it be Tourists or enthusiasts alike.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-28, 14:59

Thanks, might have to have a chat with him, find out more. The idea of the site at the Rwy golf course end is what I had heard before and it makes so much more sense.
Back to top Go down
Squadron Prints

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty2009-09-29, 00:55

I think that the Golf Course people were against it in that location that is why they looked elsewhere but with a new Station Commander in post it will probably delay things again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform' Lossie  - 'need for a spotters platform' Empty

Back to top Go down

Lossie - 'need for a spotters platform'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Other Military Aviation related matter -