New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another Lightning for Coningsby

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

Another Lightning for Coningsby Vide
PostSubject: Another Lightning for Coningsby Another Lightning for Coningsby Empty2009-09-27, 17:10

I see that some progress is being made with Lightning F6 XS897 at Coningsby. Some mixed feelings on this really - I was slightly surprised that 29 Squadron were proposing to display an F6 when they only ever operated F3's (and T5's) but I now see that they've substituted an F3 ventral tank. Whilst this might seem like a good move, it all sounds a bit silly really. They'll end-up with an F6 (with an F6 serial) but with an F3 tank and F6 wings. The other aspect that worries me is that the aircraft has gone from Aeroventure into long-term loan at a site where the public can't see it any more. I also wonder if the F3 tank has come from Aeroventure's dismantled F3 in which case it suggests that we won't be seeing that aircraft completed for a long time.

All very nice for 29 Squadron to have a Lightning on display but it's not quite such good news for the rest of us. One less Lightning to see and even when/if we do, it's gonna look very, very strange!
Back to top Go down
mray

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Another Lightning for Coningsby Another Lightning for Coningsby Empty2009-09-28, 01:56

I don't see why this is such a big issue. The aircraft is privately owned by an individual who is a keen Lightning enthusiast, being at Aeroventure was not a guarantee it would get lots of TLC, not because Aeroventure wouldn't, but because they have lots of their own aircraft to look after first and foremost.

Given the effort thats gone into both the 11Sqn and 5Sqn mascots in the recent past I would expect that 29 will give it some care and attention in a quicker timescale than was ever possible at Doncaster.

I don't expect the tank or belly panel (which is also different) will be from the F3, there are spare ones of those floating around in private ownership. I remember when the F6 at the Midland Air Museum first turned up the then owner had sourced F3 parts for the belly tank, which he then swapped for the correct F6 tank / gunpack parts.

To me the important thing is the airframe gets some 1on1 attention regardless of the scheme its put in.

Regards
Mark Ray
www.demobbed.org.uk
Back to top Go down
DOUGHNUT

PostSubject: Re: Another Lightning for Coningsby Another Lightning for Coningsby Empty2009-09-28, 03:14

Shame that 29sqn could not strike a deal with the ex Grimsby T5 which is on the Farm down the road at New York.
Back to top Go down
Sheff

Sheff

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Another Lightning for Coningsby Another Lightning for Coningsby Empty2009-09-28, 05:34

Agreed. It would have made far more sense from every aspect!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Lightning for Coningsby Another Lightning for Coningsby Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Lightning for Coningsby

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Other Military Aviation related matter -