New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leuchars 2009 first impressions

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Pete_the_mech

Leuchars 2009 first impressions Vide
PostSubject: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-12, 02:18

Good morning all from a very sunny Leuchars!

Well I've just had a 3 minute,yes 3 minute walk around the very sparse static line up and it seems very diffecult to phtograph from any angle!! Fences are right under the noses of some aircraft so pretty pointless even attempting to crack off a few pics. However there are a few nice looking aircraft in the line up. first up is the special german tonka which is just stunning and the german atlantique is just lovely! German phantom failed to show along with the French m2000.

Let's hope the flying displayis something to be admired!
Back to top Go down
J35 Draken
Photo of the Month Runner-Up
J35 Draken

Spotter Watch Member : No

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-12, 03:30

The static did look fairly small on paper. The German F4 cancelled a while back and the French M2000 was removed off the list last week I think. I hope it's a good show for you guys up there!
Back to top Go down
drkpd

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-12, 12:32

From my point of view the airshow was superb. I was in the enthusiast enclosure and cannot thank the RAF guys enough for their hospitality and friendliness. Whilst the lack of frontline jets has been commented on, blame for that lies with people who live in certain buildings in central London and are starving all our forces of resources while trying to fight two wars. The airshow organisers however put together an amazing and fluid show which, with the strains on the forces today kept a large crowd entertained for the whole day.

Thank you RAF Leuchars, the airshow organisers and the participants.

Two other observations:
1. Chinook with the Falcons - I've never seen a helicopter that high before!
2. The weather was amazing.
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-12, 12:56

Well it's been 3 Years since we've had great Weather at Leuchars -Please do not mention Last Year! - and I've got to say that I actually thought This Year was a really great show, mind you with the Aircraft available (as I was told at one point no Airshow has had it's full compliment of billed participants for obvious reasons) the organisers really do make an effort. Well one word really stands out - VULCAN - and oh yes that plane really did steal the show, amongst my highlights apart from Vulcan and the Weather, Eurofighter, The Red Arrows, The German Atlantic and Tornado (they must be the the most colourful participants), The Czech Gripen (I hadn't actually realised there were 2!), and a few others but I can't remember at this point what they are.

Unfortunately I've also got to mention one small disappointment, why did they put the 111 Sqn Special Tornado F.3 at the back of a hanger and a plain 111 Sqn F.3 outside.

Anyway top marks to the Airshow Office for the Work they've done again this Year and I sincerely hope they can carry on to continue to do what they can.

Another tiny question, I left just after the Reds and Vulcan, what actually flew in the QRA Demo - did the Sentry actually turn up? -
Back to top Go down
Pete_the_mech

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-12, 17:06

Well after a long wait in the car park after a terrible traffic accident (which sadly ended in a fatality :0( RIP) and some really clueless car park controllers, I am finally home in Newcastle.

Well what can I say to follow my first impressions?? One word, astonishng! What an absolute belter! The best Leuchars flying display since 2006! Not once did my eyes look away from the cloudless electric blue skies!
I was very worried when I turned up at Leuchars this morning, but god damn did thy prove me wrong. Hats off to the organisers of the flying programme which was full of highlights for me. Grippen, mig29 and Dutch viper were amazing, but star of the show for me was the Vulcan! That amazing take off and 120 degree angle of bank at the top of the climb left me gasping for breath and the growl of those engines from idle to full throttle just madethe hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, a truely amazing specticle!

The typhoon/reds flypast was nice, but when I saw the f3 and spitfire together aproaching the runway my heart almost skipped a beat, only for the hms gannet seaking to be scrambled and the flypast diverted and cacelled :( the look of devastation scowled on my face.

All in all, a truely gorgeous day and no doubt one I will remember!

Pete
Back to top Go down
pilot_ngb

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-13, 02:32

I left Newcastle at 5:45am. Out of my car by 10am very close to the fun fair and control tower. Traffic was no problem until Cupar.

I thought the flying display was excellent - highlights for me (1) Blades (2) the whole Vulcan/Red Arrow/Eurofighter segment (3) Belgian and Eurofighter display and (4) my son being hit by the Red Arrows jetwash at the parking stand - he found that hilarious.

Static - not bad but I am not one of taking photo's anyway.

Trade Stands - nothing too exciting. Lot's of crappy toys. My son was happy with a 2.50 packet of soldiers, a red arrows book mark and red arrows pin badge.

Meet the Pilots enclosure - nice idea - Met the Blades pilots (I think the Blades have an amazing display).

I left the car park when ORANGE went up. Took about 20-30mins to get off site. Wasn't overly impressed with the parking attendants on the way out - we could have used another exit, but they refused to allow it to happen.

Great day. Lot's of good memories for me and my son.
Back to top Go down
miszaqq

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-13, 09:57

Overall it was nice airshow, we've been at park&ride at 7:45 and at the gate 5 minutes past 8. Just quick 2 hrs for static part, where I found all the bariers being just inches from planes, so taking any photos was a hard part. Flying display quite nice, amazing vulcan takeoff, RNLAF f-16 wasn't what i've expected especially that I've seen the orange one on other airshows, and i know they can do it much better than what they have done. Polish MIG29 quite nice but not as good as both f-16 flights. As soon I'll be back from holidays I'll try to put some photographs.
Back to top Go down
mark17

mark17

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-13, 12:14

Ive got to say i really enjoyed Leuchars this year.

Drove up from Manchester on the Friday stayed in Falkirk,left the hotel an 6-30am,arrived at Leuchars just as the gate opened,parked near the fair on the disabled parking site.

It was a doddle to get in and we soon had the reserved wheelchair for my dad,granted it didnt take long to mooch through the static display,but with operational commitments it has to be expected that air forces just dont have many spare airframes to send and what they do send tends to display.

Watched the show from the disabled area and what a show.

Thought The Blades were amazing,but for me the highlight was The Vulcan,its take off was utterly amazing,i thought both the F16 displays were very very good.
The flying display was well put together with variety and a great mix of fast jets and slower paced stuff.

For me all the displays were head and shoulders above anything i saw at Riat.

I think the organisers deserve a huge pat on the back for there efforts. Leuchars 2009 first impressions 687308

Left after the Dutch F16 display,it did take longer than i thought to get out but we were constantly moving so it wasnt a massive problem.

Got back to Manchester for about 9-30pm tired,sunburnt and gagging for a beer!!
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-13, 15:00

The great thing at Leuchars was for me as soon as the gate opened me and Pa were right round the Static with the Camera just after Eight and I found for the first time I've had the Camera I've been able to pounce on great photos(???) and since we were a little early in the morning I was down the (quiet) static line snapping away at every opportunity (I just hope the photos come out ok!!!) although I did find at that time it was a bit quiet peoplewise.

I also took the opportunity after the first trip to then take my small digital cam around and got a few interesting shots, inc a pic of the 2 Czech Jets with the covers off which we didn't get first time, while I didn't manage a good shot of a taxiing Blade Extra I did get the Typhoon on the way out and the stunning Belgian F-16 on the way in, I actually enjoy the F-16s of anywhere as the Falcon (sorry I don't call it the Viper - that's just a personal thing) as well as a few other participants which were around at the time.
Back to top Go down
Flaps
Flaps

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-13, 15:50

I've heard the usual pile of complaints about traffic leaving the on-site car-parks.
One is from a Scotavnet member,he got into his car at 16.00 and got to Perth at 20.30 (27 miles approx),another got into his car and moved 20 car lengths in 45 minutes.

Me ? I left the show at 15.45,got the train from Leuchars Station at 16.05 and was in the hotel-bar in Dundee by 16.25.(Dundee-Leuchars day return is £4.60)

Some people never learn about the hideous traffic-jams both in and out of the show,it is no-ones fault-the roads around Leuchars aren't designed for traffic.I learnt in 1976 when it took 3 hours just to get to the car-park exit,have never taken a car since.

I'd love to know how many people attended yesterday,it was by far, the busiest yet I reckon.
75,000 ?
Back to top Go down
Pete_the_mech

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-13, 19:14

Well I think we can all agree that Leuchars 2009 wasatruely admirable success! With the resources we have at our finger tips and the way the RAF is today I'm so glad that the organisers pulled this show off! Please please please don't let Leuchars 09 be the last!
Back to top Go down
digger

digger

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-14, 07:39

yes a great show but where did all tornadoes go Leuchars 2009 first impressions 294955
Back to top Go down
vulcan558
vulcan558

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-15, 01:30

See the Vulcan was flexing her wings a bit with a very good take off,
Just like the old days, Leuchars 2009 first impressions 53197
link here for a clip of the take off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6dXNBqjH2o
Back to top Go down
Trembler111

Trembler111

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-15, 07:48

I thought it was a cracking show!!
Great weather and awsome flying!!
Seeing the Vulcan banking to 120 degrees was amazing!!
The flying was varied from Yak 52s to F16s!!
Well done to the Airshow organisers for a great show!!

Jamie
Back to top Go down
northernoutpost

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-15, 10:22

we didn't get out of the car park until about 8.15. felt sorry for anyone with kids , but still had a great laugh
watching all the stressers shouting at the attendants. Sounds harsh I know but what's the point in going off
when the situation (an horrible accident) is out of everyone's control.
Back to top Go down
dconnery1966

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty2009-09-18, 09:13

Well here goes,sorry a bit late with this anyway the highlights for me
Polish MiG, Czech Gripen the F-16 displays the RAF Falcons the Blades they were excellent first time i have seen them display,Vulcan awesome what more can i say there,BBMF The Warbird displays the Blackcats etc.
Static always good to see the Yanks,German Tonka and the Atlantic superb, the Czech stuff the polish Casa,good to see the Harrier on static, what happened to the F-3s?,and only one for the QRA mmm.
Had a good laugh about the Dutch F-16 display pilots name, anybody like to pronounce his right name,dont want to post any swear words on the forum ha ha.
Oh almost forgot, what about the weather fantastic.
Mike dont know what crowd was,but certainly was really busy.
Also a big thanks to my mate for letting me stay at his B&B At Edenside,i reckon i had the best view in the house on Friday,watched the arrivals then the practise dislays from 2 till 7.00pm superb. Leuchars 2009 first impressions 53197
Thanks again Douglas and Yvonne
Dougie strength and Honour Leuchars 2009 first impressions 698488
Back to top Go down
http://www.egpk.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leuchars 2009 first impressions Leuchars 2009 first impressions Empty

Back to top Go down

Leuchars 2009 first impressions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Airshows :: Airshows -