New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Filters

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Roughcutter

Roughcutter

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Filters Filters Empty2009-08-31, 02:44

I've stuck my neck out and have ordered a Canon L series lens, the next step is to find a decent filter to protect it but there are so many makes available - Hoya, B&W, Cokin etc..as well as Canon. Obviously the more money I spend the better the quality and although I'm mindful about demeaning the quality of my new optics by fitting a cheap filter, I can't help feeling that sometimes I'm simply paying for the name.
MarkL
Back to top Go down
hyakuhei

hyakuhei

Spotter Watch Member : no

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-08-31, 03:26

If you must get a filter I suggest getting one of the hoya pro clear filters, they work very nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.westwalesphotography.co.uk
The Phantom

The Phantom

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-08-31, 12:46

Same here. I always use the Hoya Pro Digital UV filters.

Mark.
Back to top Go down
Dave934

Dave934

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-08-31, 13:26

Mark,
Why do you want a filter?
Years ago a friend said to me (when I wanted a filter)..."so, you've spent £1300 on a lens (100-400) and now you want to stick a £20 piece of glass in front of it......"
Think about it mate !!!!!!
Dave.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Spotter Watch Member : No

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-08-31, 15:35

I've always been happy with Hoya.

I can see Dave's point, but I wouldn't want to leave the front element of my EF 100-400Lis exposed to all sorts of crap and the risk of scratches. A decent filter is optically very good and much cheaper to replace than the front element of a £1300 lens.
Back to top Go down
awacsfan

awacsfan

Spotter Watch Member : No

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-08-31, 22:32

I have to second Mark's opinion. I used filters for some time as well but for about a ear now leave them off the lens and personally I do think my images are a tad bit sharper without a filter. Could be just me, though. Each time I had my lenses served by Canon I was told that a filter (UV/Skylight or just a "protect filter") could and possibly will somehow degrade the image quality. So I took them off and try to be careful with my lenses.
Back to top Go down
The Phantom

The Phantom

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-09-01, 11:49

I've heard of people having problems with very soft images and it turned out to be the filter they'd put on causing it.

I have always tried sample shots with and without one on, on my lenses, just to check the image quality.
I wouldn't want to scratch the front of my lens, so always keep one on.

It seems to be a subject where you are either for or against.

Mark.
Back to top Go down
The Bossman

The Bossman

Spotter Watch Member : no

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-09-01, 13:02

Many soft shots do not have anything to do with filters, it is often caused by using zoom and telephoto lenses at wide open aperture trying to get the fastest shutter speed instead of upping the ISO. I have always closed a telephoto by a half to one stop, this often helps but not always. Zooms I found the worst for this problem, zooming right to the end of say, a 300mm zoom, can also cause softness. Try bringing the zoom back just a wee tad and try that. Photography is not an exact science, what works for one person may not work for someone else, even if you are using the same gear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deansphoto.co.uk
vulcan558
vulcan558

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty2009-09-02, 01:42

Filters for protection are good if you do Not want to risk your front element.
Draw back is sticking a cheap bit of glass over your thousand pound glass.
defeats the object and exspense.

Common fault with filters and soft images etc is that many people leave the filters on for months.

What you do when you put a filter on is trap air between the filter and main front element and seal it all in.

What you get is stale air in time, this gives a soft image, also keeping the filter on will
bring in the chance of fungus growing inside. a bit like growing bacteria in a culture dish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Filters Vide
PostSubject: Re: Filters Filters Empty

Back to top Go down

Filters

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Photography Discussion -