New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Editing help

View previous topic View next topic Go down
DAVEAYR

Spotter Watch Member : No

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Editing help Editing help Empty2009-08-29, 02:47

undernoted taken with Sigma 55-200. Not best lense but was within budget to see if I
re-caught bug after years with 35mm and 15 year gap. Will need better lense I know but can anyone help with suggesting best software to try maximise what I am capturing until i see if Santa gets me a new lense.
This is untouched version of photo posted in recent photos but they seem to lose any quality I did have when posting. Looks good and sharp on screen but not when posted
Any help appreciated.....Thanks
Dave

Editing help Tiffyday009-1
Back to top Go down
SteveS
SteveS

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Re: Editing help Editing help Empty2009-08-29, 03:12

Dave,

The image you uploaded to Photobucket is 1024 wide and when PB has re-sized it down to 800 wide, it tends to loose a bit of quality, hence explaining the jaggy tail fin. I would up-load to PB after re-sizing manually to 800 wide. Personally, I've stopped using PB and post all images direct from my own web-space for my website as it doesn't have these issues.

If you don't mind I had a quick play in GIMP (a free editing program) and this what I came up with -

Editing help Tiffyday009-1
(Uploaded to PB)

All I have done is crop a little tighter, sharpen, brighten up and increase the contrast slightly. I think the original may not be pin-sharp, and obviously it becomes harder to sharpen the image if they are not relativly sharp in the first instance.

As you say, you will probably need slightly longer than 200mm, I make do with a 70-300mm lens.

I'm far from the best at post-processing but I'm sure one of our regular genius' will be along shortly to add their advice.

If you need any further info, please feel free to PM me.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
DAVEAYR

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Re: Editing help Editing help Empty2009-08-29, 03:34

Thank you Steve.

I am grateful for all help. Had tried to re-size to 800 at PB and obviously not got hang of it.

Grateful for your attempt and as everything was a bit rushed to try get a pic yesterday I hope for better today. Did have a couple sharper but more foliage in way.

thanks and any other help appreciated.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
SteveS

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Re: Editing help Editing help Empty2009-08-29, 03:46

The problem with re-sizing with PB is that is has some very nasty image compression habits which lower the quality. I always used to re-size to 800 wide first using another program and then upload to PB.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
GOOSE
GOOSE

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Re: Editing help Editing help Empty2009-08-29, 03:53

Try this resizer here - linky
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
DAVEAYR

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Re: Editing help Editing help Empty2009-08-29, 03:58

Thanks guys.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Editing help Vide
PostSubject: Re: Editing help Editing help Empty

Back to top Go down

Editing help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Photography Discussion -