New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
GOOSE
GOOSE

Spotter Watch Member : No

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Vide
PostSubject: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 11:39

..........whilst going about this hobby in aviation?

Was at Binbrook once and a very close mate thought that one of the Mildenhall EC-135's, which was doing circuits and had a name and art on the side, was called Bunsen Burner!!!!! Clap Clap

He repeated it over and over and some of us almost began to believe him until someone wiser pointed out it's proper name.

It was in fact "Burma Bitch".

Come on all, you can all get involved in this thread?
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Trembler111

Trembler111

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 12:16

Mine has to be at one of the shows at Elvington when Will Curtiss and his commentator arrived in the Red Su26 and the Red Pitts and a Women next to me told her son that the Reds had arrived! Laugh

Jamie
Back to top Go down
SteveS
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 12:58

Probably not the funniest moment I've ever had, but certainly the most recent - At RAF Lyneham Families Day, during the Chipmunk display, Graham said "I suppose it's too much to hope for the Chipmunk to do a dump and burn." to which another chap (sorry, didn't catch your name) replied "I think the best we can hope for here is a dump."

Well, it made me laugh anyway

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.runwayphotography.co.uk
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 13:09

Whilst watching the Dutch F-16 pilot at Riat, I was taking the Mickey (To those close around me ) out of his commentators accent, I started going through the "Harry Enfield" and chums routine
"I am pleashed to shay he ish not jush my pilot but he ish my loffer alsho"
I was greated by some blank looks from a few folks nearby but (I am pleased to say) one or two people were laughing
Only for a split second later the commentator said (And we all misheard it too) "May I introduce to you my pilot.....Roland Sh*g A*se"
Of course at this point we were all rolling on the floor , even those who gave the blank looks in the first place !!!

It was a couple of days before I found out what the commentator had actually said !!!
Back to top Go down
vortex003

vortex003

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 13:44

I asked the missus which display she liked best after an airshow and she replied 'the Torpedo' (Tornado)
Back to top Go down
http://waynesnihelipix.fpic.co.uk
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 14:06

One of the 8 Squadron Shackletons flew for several years from Lossie with a pair of Furry Dice hanging in the lower observer's window in the nose, I only wish I had a photo, there must be some in existence.
Back to top Go down
gary lees

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 15:39

Duxford with my Dad,a Goose landed and at the excitement he lifted his bino`s up too look completely forgeting he was drinking a hot cup of coffee that he through all over himself....I do have a sick sense of humour but was laughing till I cried...
Back to top Go down
Razor61
Admin
Admin
Razor61

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 15:47

Have heard a few funny things over the airwaves over the years.... however most have been too rude to post here.
One such humerous moment was hearing a flight of F18s enroute to Hungary from Lajes (USN ones).
One of them came up yapping and in the background, although fairly loud) was "Wannabe" from the Spice Girls...
They had been playing songs over the atlantic to get their boredom from taking over.

More songs recently (quite often) also with Ex Cobras Strike when held down in Devon whereby they would be chasing each other in their Squirrels and playing "Airwolf" at the same time over the airwaves.
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

Spotter Watch Member : Yes I am!

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 21:42

HighlandSniper wrote:
One of the 8 Squadron Shackletons flew for several years from Lossie with a pair of Furry Dice hanging in the lower observer's window in the nose, I only wish I had a photo, there must be some in existence.

I think I may have one somewhere!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

Spotter Watch Member : Yes I am!

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-25, 21:45

I once exclamied to all around me whilst awaiting a B52 deployment at Fairford.."hey, its a Nimrod!" It actually turned out to be a PA28 just passing overhead! Well, I suppose they do look similar! Also, I once overheard a man telling his children that the "Red Arrows were having a race but its difficult to tell who wins because they all look the same!" Whistle
Back to top Go down
http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 00:38

Well ... ... ... there was the guy I heard telling his son that the pitot probe on the nose of the East Fortune Lightning was a weapon for piercing other aircraft's fuel tanks! Laugh

Can people realy be that stupid? Unsure/Confused
Back to top Go down
old_git

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 00:53

child to father - what are those white lines in the sky ( referring to contrails high up )

father to child - they are lines for the aeroplanes to follow so they know where they are going.

DOH
Back to top Go down
Blackcat1

Blackcat1

PostSubject: funniest moments Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 03:00

When i was around 10 at RIAT i was talking to a B1 pilot, he asked me what i liked about the B1, i replied, i just like the way it flies lol couldnt think of anything else to say at the time.

Doing an impression of the airbrake on an F15E to 2 Lakenheath pilots, they laughed their heads off!! but they did say it was a good impression Clap

Hearing a guy at an airport once saying to someone "wow i didnt realise BA had so many Concordes" when he was monitoring "Speedbird 176, 183, 201 and a few more". I had to tell him Speedbird is the callsign for BA's fleet not just Concorde!
Back to top Go down
bp2324

bp2324

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 03:17

Over the scanner at Coningsby after a 41 Sqn GR4 had engine problems and was left on runway (08) after lending -Crew done a hasty runner.

Rover1 to ATC 'some liquid on the runway'
ATC to Rover 1 'what is it?'
Rover to ATC 'well its wet but im not tasting it!"
Back to top Go down
Tigercat

Tigercat

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 06:03

Regarding the Shackleton with the fluffy dice. The one in the static park at Alconbury show had some. Mid to late 80s if thats any help.
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 06:09

Tigercat wrote:
Regarding the Shackleton with the fluffy dice. The one in the static park at Alconbury show had some. Mid to late 80s if thats any help.

If that's the case they were around longer than I thought as I'm talking about mid-late seventies.
Back to top Go down
headset 57

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 06:37

When the Russian Bear was coming over to Fairford a few years ago ATC asked 'do you carry a transponder'.
Back came the reply 'Negative we only carry crew, no weapons'!... Opps Razz Clap

Also on Holbeach Range during an Elder Forest exercise ( who remembers those days ):
Twr: 3TM145 Holbeach, do what size weapon do you have'!
Tonka: ' 27mm Sir and they're all blanks'!.Well he got a huge cheer from all the rooters and the 1% listening in,especially when he fired his weapon off... Wow

And finally,a friend said one night, after a large ' tanking' session in the pub, 'how many pilots does a single seater F16 carry' !. Unsure/Confused Mnd you he fought backwith the reg of a crashed LOT IL62, saying it was SP-LAT... Angel
Back to top Go down
Blackcat1

Blackcat1

PostSubject: funny moment Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 07:32

Remember Air Fete at Mildenhall a good few years ago on departure day

Tower : Mirage 2000 can you confirm aircraft type

M2000 : (In a slow French draw) eughhh Mirage 2000 is a Mirage 2000!!! Laugh
Back to top Go down
Spine24

Spine24

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 07:32

Back in 1978 or '79 we were standing next to runway 27 at Leeuwarden when one of the local 104's came taxiing by.
Te pilot saw us and stopped, reffing up his engine with the well known howl!
At the point we started cheering, he pulled back the throttle in idle and then this unforgetable thing happened:

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ D-8288

Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
gixrgill

gixrgill

PostSubject: tiffie pilot Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 08:52

back last summer on a hot day a 3sqdn tiffie came out to play........
he sat a long while, the heat was intense, whilst they tried to sort out some sort of flight plan snag...
A weary voice came over the radio " any words .... ive not flown for ages......" the reply was they were still trying to sort it out.
He sat there... still nothing was sorted..... he then said " you cant give a kid an ice cream and not expect him to lick it"
15mins later he taxied back to HAS site reporting that he had give up waiting - poor chap
Back to top Go down
sjnovis

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 10:31

When I first strated dating Mrs sjnovis 10 or 11 years ago and we could only see each other at weekends, we were out walking in the Lincolnshire Wolds, lovely day, were sat in a pub beer garden having a great lunch with a local ale, and the Lancaster flew overhead, very low. The sound of the four Merlins - Wonderful Clap

All would have remained fine and dandy until I happended to mention as she was leaving for the long drive home sunday night that the Lancaster had "made my weekend" Opps

You and I know, I didn't mean that only the Lancaster made the weekend special but;
Hell hath no fury etc etc.....
Back to top Go down
PR9

PR9

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 10:40

A few years back at Waddo arrivals a group of wideboys seemed convinced that the Mitchell was a Shorts Sterling.
They'd been rabbiting on about one being due in during the day. Huh
Speaking of Rabbit, that Hare at last year's arrivals was quite a funny moment. It stoped right next to the fenceline and stood on it's hind legs for several minutes and shutters started clicking everywhere. I'm sure it was posing! As someone commented "that must be the most photgraphed Hare in the world".

Another time on the A15, some geezers in a transit were driving past giving the spotters on the roadside some stick, then we heard this "thud". He had driven into one of the low bollards at the side of the road! He didn't continue with his gestures after this... Whistle
Back to top Go down
BANSHEE

Spotter Watch Member : yes

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 11:51

We've all witnessed the "oops, wrong runway" etc, and my favourite was the C-141 (probably 64-0629) which was supposed to do a fly past at the Kirmington (Sorry, Humberside International Airport!) Air show in 1985. I had the good fortune to be listening in on the radio, and hear ATC tell him that the fly past had just taken place along the nearby A180 road!
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 12:06

Another day at Binbrook.

A fellow ATC Cadet was adamant that the C-130 on approach was Japanese.

All he could see on the side was the red of a roundel.

It's Japanese, it's Japanese he cryed over and over again.

It was RAF, the blue around the roundel having blended with the green in the camo!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Ben Montgomery
Ben Montgomery

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty2009-08-26, 12:28

I've got another ATC mis-identification one.

On Annual Camp at Shawbury last year, and I was speaking to both of my flights on a little car park near the flying pan. Both flights were facing me (out of the sun), and suddenly this little noise started up behind them. The typically know-it-all cadet decided that "It must be a Chinook!". Noise got louder and higher pitched and he still declared it was a Wokka. Eventually came into sight as a scale flying model of a Hawk T.1. He went almost as red as the red arrows paint scheme on the model!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ramaphotography.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........ Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats the funniest thing you've heard or seen........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 3 Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: Other Military Aviation related matter -