New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Broadband YES or NO

View previous topic View next topic Go down
reptile 1

reptile 1

Spotter Watch Member : No

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-16, 08:24

Just a question, who is on broadband and who is not?

The reason i ask is if the majority are on broadband then why cant the pic sizes be increased to 1023x628?

Its all good having them at 800x600 but a lot of people send a fair bit of time editing there images and a lot of pride in them and posting them at 800x600 is cramming a lot of information in something so small and detail is lost plus they look small just on a standard laptop.

So as an idea, in the photo section could it be possible to have a trial or even create another photo section for images over 800x600?

I only know 1 website that allows you to post up to these sizes and the images to me are far superior to that of a standard 800x600.

Im guessing people will say that there 2mb broadband wont handle it but my half a meg broadband can load these sizes pretty quickly.

Anyone else's views are most welcome.
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-16, 08:45

The biggest problem is member's screen sizes rather than the size (kb) of files. When we tried out different templates after a security issue with the software we were using, many members complained the side of the image was being cut off (I was one of them)

I can certainly bring this to the attention of the team, and see if a compromise can be made (for example a seperate section as you suggest) But its a good point, would members be in favour or against this idea?

Discuss Wink
Back to top Go down
HighlandSniper

HighlandSniper

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-16, 10:48

I view FC on various systems ranging from my desktop PC with a pair of matched 19" monitors, a 15.4" Laptop, and a 10.1" netbook.

I have never found complaint with the 800x600 restriction, and in fact am quite happy with it especially when some members post 20+ images at a time.

The fact that members are on broadband or not is not the full story - it depends on the level of compression of the JPEG images as well, as some photo hosts handle image files differently to others.

Therefore my view is if it ain't broke, don't fix it - there are plenty sites offering higher res pix if that's what you want. If you insist on hi-res images, you can always post links to them, or even thumbnails linked to higher resolution pix.
Back to top Go down
Dave934

Dave934

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-16, 12:31

800 pix is fine for posting on a forum.
I wouldn't post my shots any bigger even if it was allowed.
Dave.
Back to top Go down
b0nd08

b0nd08

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-16, 16:48

how about if you've taken a really good picture(s) and you desperatly want to show everyone in a bigger size, then just post a link to it instead of actually putting the picture in a thread. then it wont clogg up the forum as much and also you have a seperate window/tab for the hole picture Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeB
Admin
Admin
MikeB

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-16, 16:52

b0nd08 wrote:
how about if you've taken a really good picture(s) and you desperatly want to show everyone in a bigger size, then just post a link to it instead of actually putting the picture in a thread. then it wont clogg up the forum as much and also you have a seperate window/tab for the hole picture Smile

Exactly, you can very easily hotlink from thumbnails, so post 800x versions and add URL code to them so when clicked they take the viewer to a high res version of the image. I know it means uploading two versions and alot more bother, but if you really would like people to be able to view high res versions.

At this present time, it won't really be possible to accept images bigger than 800x600 on FC, because for viewers using 800x600/1024x768 resolutions the images will be wider than the screen - Meaning the viewers will need to scroll to view the entire image.

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbrokenPhotography.co.uk
onemac

onemac

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-17, 02:19

I have a laptop and scroll to view 1024px wide pics on other websites. I don't see the problem! Yes it's a small inconvenience but it's more than made up for by the visual impact a larger pic makes.

"If it ain't broke" is not really the way forward IMHO.

Al
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-17, 03:35

The image size is perfect as it is. Yes it would be great to post large size images, but think of everyone doing it and especially on posts with lots of images? The solution is the direct link or thumbnail. If gives the viewer the option to view your work at the standard size and if they want to they can click on the thumbnail or direct link.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Blackcat1

Blackcat1

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Broadband Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-17, 04:03

Im on dial up, still living in the dark ages! me lol
Back to top Go down
HaveQuick2

HaveQuick2

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-17, 04:31

I don't see any problem with it as it is at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Neilf92

Neilf92

Spotter Watch Member : no

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-18, 03:49

800 x 600 is fine by me - with links to your full res shots if you want .
Some folks seem to post pretty sharp 800 x 600 anyway and others don't seem to get their head round it.

Also pressing Ctrl + two or three times blows the images up to full screen if you want to see them large.

Last edited by Neilf92 on 2009-08-18, 06:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://planeart-neilf92.blogspot.com/
pussyfoot

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-18, 05:04

I rarely looked at the 800x600 pics because it was too slow on dial-up.
I'm now on broadband but still don't look at the pics because I've been in the habit of not doing so.
I read this thread and decided to have a look at the photo section.
Much quicker than when I was on dial-up but still slow enough to put me off browsing all of the posts.
I know I must be missing out on some great shots, but the only thing that would tempt me to look on a daily basis would be if all of the pictures were shown as thumbnails only. I could then click on the ones that look interesting and be linked to where the large resolution images are stored.
I realise that this is completely opposite to the original suggestion and will probably be just as controversial.
I guess the "If it ain't broke don't mend it" option would be best. Or, better still a poll with 3x choices: My thumbnail suggestion, 800x600 as now, or higher resolutions.

Have just looked at
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/technical-f67/too-many-photos-t11428.htm
Perhaps this "Broadband YES or NO" thread should be moved to the technical section for further discussion but under a different heading?
Back to top Go down
pikey01
pikey01

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-18, 06:04

pussyfoot wrote:
Have just looked at
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/technical-f67/too-many-photos-t11428.htm
Perhaps this "Broadband YES or NO" thread should be moved to the technical section for further discussion but under a different heading?

Must confess it was me that moved this thread into FC info (with Reptile's permission) Originally it was in the non aviation chat thread, but I moved it here as more members were likely to see it.
Back to top Go down
Dazza

Dazza

Spotter Watch Member : no

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-18, 07:04

I think it is fine as it is, like the others have said if you want us to see a larger picture then just post a link.
Back to top Go down
St. John

St. John

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty2009-08-18, 07:18

pussyfoot wrote:
Much quicker than when I was on dial-up but still slow enough to put me off browsing all of the posts.

Even if you are on broadband the performance varies greatly according to the time of day etc.

This is slightly off topic but, I like the idea of the thumbnails and was wondering if the ability of rating each picture could be introduced. This would guide you to the best if you are selective (and could provide a photo of the month by member popularity). As photos are essentially links is this technically feasible?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Broadband YES or NO Vide
PostSubject: Re: Broadband YES or NO Broadband YES or NO Empty

Back to top Go down

Broadband YES or NO

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Fighter Control Information :: FC Information -