New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IS question

View previous topic View next topic Go down
John

John

IS question Vide
PostSubject: IS question IS question Empty2009-08-15, 15:19

HI
I use a canon 100-400is lens and I have been told that you have to turn the IS off when its on a tripod because its not moving which i can understand, but I was thinking of using it on a monopod for helicopters in front of you and things like that do you still have to turn it off for that or change the mode.

Cheers John.
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

IS question Vide
PostSubject: Re: IS question IS question Empty2009-08-15, 15:40

I was once advised to turn mine off full stop as it slows down the auto focus , and I have found this to be true.
Back to top Go down
onemac

onemac

IS question Vide
PostSubject: Re: IS question IS question Empty2009-08-15, 17:24

Interesting question John as I've been playing about with exactly that recently. From my in-depth results obtained on Wednesday, I can honestly say it does make a difference to me with the IS switched off unless the subject is moving reasonably fast (say a Sea King on approach to 23). I have noticed however, that with IS switched on and leaning on the wooden fence, anything static comes out fine Unsure/Confused

The biggest improvement in my shots recently has come from locking off the 100-400 and concentrating on my panning...

Al
Back to top Go down
ythanpythan

Spotter Watch Member : No

IS question Vide
PostSubject: Re: IS question IS question Empty2009-08-17, 03:37

I don't use the 100-400 but my 70-200's IS will shut off if it detects its on a tripod, I think it is a slighty newer IS generation from that used in the 100-400. That said I still tend to switch it off when mounted.

The 70-200 has two modes stabalisation in vertical and horizontal planes or Vertical only (to aid panning). The biggest difference I've noticed to my shots lately is taking the UV filters off my lenses.

Ian
Back to top Go down
alnewhaven

Spotter Watch Member : No

IS question Vide
PostSubject: Re: IS question IS question Empty2009-09-15, 10:31

I use Pentax which has the IS built into the camera. However they advise that this be switched off when usin a tripod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IS question Vide
PostSubject: Re: IS question IS question Empty

Back to top Go down

IS question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Photography Discussion -